Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

BabyRyoga posted:

So, right when I would execute the bash, my analog stick would be hyper sensitive for a brief moment. After that, it would slow down, but the directions would reverse if I traveled past the halfway point in the circle. Say I was bashing a projectile at 9:00 for example, and I wanted to send it to 7:30 by aiming at 1:30. If I moved the analog stick in one direction to reach 3:00 in the brief moment of hyper sensitivity, I would have to move it in the OPPOSITE direction to get from 3:00 to 1:30. This is why it was much easier to use the d-pad for such, since I would simply tap up+right and go to 1:30 right away.

Like I said, though, that's obnoxious. Why not just have a less sensitive analog stick that doesn't confuse you by reversing itself part of the way through the momentary freeze that occurs when you bash?

Sounds like your dead zones are hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I dunno, it was pretty much brand new out of the box with console :( bought it a few months ago, but this game is the first thing i've played on the bone since purchase.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Played through it and loved it. Even wrote a positive Steam review, even though I tend not to write reviews for the most part. Would recommend.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Beat the game, had a blast, good difficulty. Only complaint is that I had to restart after an hour and a half because I saved in an impossible place - on the way down to get the double jump there's a sort of loop off to the right that doesn't have much in it tucked behind some spikes. You can't get in there without getting hurt unless you have the double-jump, but you CAN get in there. And then save. And then be hosed, because you can't get up the shaft on the right around the wall spikes without being able to double jump. On the upside I was back to the same point in like 20 minutes on my second run through, so I didn't lose too much time. Still annoying.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Cephalocidal posted:

Beat the game, had a blast, good difficulty. Only complaint is that I had to restart after an hour and a half because I saved in an impossible place - on the way down to get the double jump there's a sort of loop off to the right that doesn't have much in it tucked behind some spikes. You can't get in there without getting hurt unless you have the double-jump, but you CAN get in there. And then save. And then be hosed, because you can't get up the shaft on the right around the wall spikes without being able to double jump. On the upside I was back to the same point in like 20 minutes on my second run through, so I didn't lose too much time. Still annoying.

Yeah sorry about that issue, it's lovely and should've been caught before release. I can at least say it's one of the (many) issues that's getting fixed in the first patch. You'll still be able to get into that area without double jump if you tank the spike damage, but you'll actually be able to get back out too, without having to take damage. Anyone who saved there would be able to escape after updating too.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BabyRyoga posted:

I dunno, it was pretty much brand new out of the box with console :( bought it a few months ago, but this game is the first thing i've played on the bone since purchase.

Yeah sorry that's a hardware problem I'm pretty sure. I played on PC with a 360 controller and didn't have any kind of issue like you're describing. No doubt it colored your opinion of the game but i dont think it's the game at fault.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Best easter egg ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNVRBpFSR4

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

That was an easter egg? I didn't think much of it when that happened.

e: I didn't know the Wilhelm scream was a thing, that's why.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

haha, that's great

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

So, observations on plotstuff re: light/dark. Not entirely certain how it all fits together. Naru has feathers and very similar coloration to Kuro and starts the game chillin' at Swallows Nest. Swallows are communal birds, and she's alone, so (like basically everything else in the game that isn't an enemy) she's probably the last of her kind. When the tree gets to glowing, she flees the light with Ori and hides, though I'm not sure if that's because she knows where Ori came from and doesn't want to lose her child (likely) or because she doesn't want to be burnt to a crisp like every other creature in the forest (also likely.) Gumo has feathery bits too. The enemies you fight throughout the game (with exception of the non-exploding charging shell things with the wiggly butts, and maybe some of the vomiting frogs) are either a) amorphous elemental blobs that hang out near/in the shrines or b) normal-ish animals infused with darkness. Ori is a plant-spirit. Sein is a part of a plant-spirit. The light/dark split is also a plant/animal split. The leaves of the spirit tree become Ori-things, and when those die they turn into smaller spirit trees and appear quite a good deal healthier for it than the larger spirit tree, what with its missing eye and powers. The lore of the game is set up around all of these dualities but I don't actually think it has anything to do with balance between light and dark or life and death or the elements; I think it's more to do with the idea of restraint (or release.) Not of moderation, but of actual restraint. Plug up this hole, cut these fetters, be bound by friendship or kinship, be atomized by unrestricted tree radiation. Also saudade. Lots of saudade. Saudade all up ins.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Hey EvilMike,

Are there any plans to release some posters or prints? I really would like to hang up some of the artwork.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

I got stuck there without double jump too. You can get out though (1.0). git gud

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I just beat it. It's a great game, really pretty art style, cool story, fun gameplay, and old-school HARD in some places. Which is fine because I like skin-of-your-teeth jumping where you have to try a few times to get into a hidden area. It's absolutely worth playing and I'm glad I did.

I do have some gripes though. I wasn't big on the lengthy escape sequences not having checkpoints, because I'd often have a flawless run every time up until that one point that would always kill me, so sometimes they weren't fun or satisfying anymore when I finally beat them. Sometimes the game seems seriously unfair, like your success depends entirely on how the game decides to render certain physics or read button presses on that particular try. There was ONE thing I missed in the Ginso Tree so I had a 99% game even though I had 100% literally everywhere else, because they don't let you back in and don't really let you know what's about to happen until it's too late (this could be fixed by a save before the escape scene trigger instead of after, or a New Game+ mode). Otherwise un-backtrackable parts are kinda dumb in a Metroidvania with a progress percentage.

Still, great platformer overall, fantastic art, very challenging, and genuinely fun for the most part.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'd also like to join in the singing of praises for the game. Fantastic art and music, surprisingly touching story for how simple it is (though that may be why it's so effective), and incredible gameplay. It's really very responsive, to the point where if I'm having trouble it's very clear that it's my own drat fault. And this is coming from a guy who fat-finger fumbles a lot.

I died plenty of times (think my total death count was around 100? but can't check), but never once was it a case of "this is bullshit, how am I supposed to deal with this" so much as "okay, so I need to remember to do this instead of that". During the escape sequences it sometimes took a few tries to figure out what the "this" was. The blue ability tree is my favorite, since it's basically the "make the game more forgiving if you're not the world's best platformer" tree.

That said, I'll also join in the frustrations about a. missables in Ginso Tree, Misty Woods event (especially there since you can't even backtrack while it's in process), Forlorn Ruins, and the open-world room or two before Forlorn Ruins and b. being unable to go back and keep playing/exploring after finishing the game (or even entering Mount Horu). I realize none of these options would make sense from a story perspective, however.

I didn't run into any of the bugs that the Steam forums are endlessly caterwauling about, but I'm glad they'll be addressed in patches even if they haven't affected me (yet).

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
So I didn't really notice this till yesterday because I always went back to misty woods to get an ability, but when you fly up from the ruins to sorrow pass, the camera zooms way out and shows you an absolutely gorgeous shot of Ori flying up in front of Mount Horu starting to erupt. I tried for an hour to get a good high resolution shot of this, but I wasn't able to.

Anyone able to get that shot in background image size / resolution without catching any of the terrain or the birds? Would be most grateful.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Hoohah posted:

So I didn't really notice this till yesterday because I always went back to misty woods to get an ability, but when you fly up from the ruins to sorrow pass, the camera zooms way out and shows you an absolutely gorgeous shot of Ori flying up in front of Mount Horu starting to erupt. I tried for an hour to get a good high resolution shot of this, but I wasn't able to.

Anyone able to get that shot in background image size / resolution without catching any of the terrain or the birds? Would be most grateful.

Can't remember if I got a shot of that specifically or not; went through the trouble a bit ago of hooking the game up to a 4K display, turned on debug and turned off the HUD/damage/Sein and just ran around taking screenshots for a bit. https://www.dropbox.com/s/515hkimjwof9bgj/ori_4k.zip?dl=0

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This game has fantastic visuals and I really like platformers but I was having a hard time getting into the actual platforming mechanics. Something about the controls/difficulty/design just did not click right with me.

Then I started using bash and even more importantly, I got triple jump and my enjoyment of the game increased dramatically. I think it's because Ori's weaponry is lame and base-Ori just does not have the speed / maneuverability that most platfomers do. Once you get bash + triple jump, it alleviates the worst of this.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Cephalocidal posted:

Can't remember if I got a shot of that specifically or not; went through the trouble a bit ago of hooking the game up to a 4K display, turned on debug and turned off the HUD/damage/Sein and just ran around taking screenshots for a bit. https://www.dropbox.com/s/515hkimjwof9bgj/ori_4k.zip?dl=0

Perfect, you had a couple of really good shots including almost exactly what I was looking for.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

.Z. posted:

Hey EvilMike,

Are there any plans to release some posters or prints? I really would like to hang up some of the artwork.

That would be pretty cool. Not really sure if there's a plan for it though, I'm not involved with any merchandising stuff.

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015
Throwing my happy replies in here too. A friend of ours recommend this game to us the day it came out. At first we didn't think anything of this, but that weekend both my boyfriend and I were sick so we bought a few games on Steam to play through. Ori was one of them. Technically I haven't finished my play through yet, but I'm pretty drat close. My boyfriend finished his and he's itching for me to get done so we can discuss the FEELS.

Let me tell you something about feels and this game. This game has them. This game has every kind of feels. And I love it.

Thanks so much for making this, really. I've had a blast. We bought a copy for a friend of ours, I'm pretty sure he's recommending it to everyone he knows. I know I'm shoving it toward everyone I know. It just hits all the right notes. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay. It has frustrating moments sure but you just end up feeling super accomplished and satisfied when you clear the difficult parts.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Shevmo posted:

Thanks so much for making this, really. I've had a blast. We bought a copy for a friend of ours, I'm pretty sure he's recommending it to everyone he knows. I know I'm shoving it toward everyone I know. It just hits all the right notes. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay. It has frustrating moments sure but you just end up feeling super accomplished and satisfied when you clear the difficult parts.

I went through the game again yesterday; the difficulty curves in such a way that the second time through I didn't buy any upgrades and it felt if anything slightly easier than the first time through. There's few people speedrunning the game right now, and I can definitely see why - once you've gotten familiar with the rules that the game operates under it's incredibly comfortable. That sense of mastery definitely sticks.

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015

Cephalocidal posted:

I went through the game again yesterday; the difficulty curves in such a way that the second time through I didn't buy any upgrades and it felt if anything slightly easier than the first time through. There's few people speedrunning the game right now, and I can definitely see why - once you've gotten familiar with the rules that the game operates under it's incredibly comfortable. That sense of mastery definitely sticks.

Basically this entirely. I had a few moments where it clicked and I went "Oh well that makes sense! Of course that's how it works!" I'll probably get to finishing this game myself today after I've finished the day's work. I'm pretty sure I'm at the last section of the game and with the way the story has been building, I'm really excited to see how the finish is.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
A little late to the party, but I just beat this game and came here to say how great it was. It was great.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I suck at gaming, and I discard 99% of games before the second level, but man this game is the exception. Like Princess Mononoke meets Metroid.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am still disappointed by how little attention the game seems to get. It is ridiculously good, but this thread is already a crawl. I mean, I know it doesn't have a huge amount of replay value, but the first time through it is fantastic.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am still disappointed by how little attention the game seems to get. It is ridiculously good, but this thread is already a crawl. I mean, I know it doesn't have a huge amount of replay value, but the first time through it is fantastic.

Activity will probably pick up if/when this get put into some kind of bundle.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

The stake through the heart of Ori's replayability is the same one through the heart of most modern metroidvanias. Points of no return, areas you can't go back to. Fix that in a patch and you'll get more than just speedrunners spending their time in the world.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I probably should've known about this already, what with making the thread and all, but I just found out about this thanks to the xbox dashboard. Turns out there's a contest going on right now with some pretty cool prizes to win.

http://www.microsoftstudiosblog.com/ori-and-the-blind-forest-creation-contest/

Basically just make a thing (screenshot, video, baked goods), post a picture to twitter with the hashtag #oricontest, and then wait to see if you're a winner. Dunno if it'd interest anybody but I figured somebody playing this would've been interested. Unfortunately it ends in 6 more days.

I'd pay good money for that controller.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
It hasn't been mentioned enough, but the music by Gareth Coker is an absolutely perfect fit for the game. It's probably my favorite OST of the last few years.

I wish there was an OSX port though, especially given this is a Unity game.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Anyone who wants more Metroidvania after finishing Ori, get Axiom Verge on steam.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I just finished the Misty woods and I ended up with a map stone fragment without anywhere to put it. Did I miss something?

I'm assuming that in each area there's one stone and stone fragment. I haven't finished the game yet but am I wrong about this?

E: \/ \/ \/ Yea I played a bit more and I've got everything sorted.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Teledahn posted:

I just finished the Misty woods and I ended up with a map stone fragment without anywhere to put it. Did I miss something?

I'm assuming that in each area there's one stone and stone fragment. I haven't finished the game yet but am I wrong about this?

The Forlorn Ruins has a stone but no fragment; the Valley of the Winds leading up to it has a stone and two fragments.

• Locked thread