Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can we talk about how Blood on the Tracks is basically a perfect album?

It's the only album I can get into. There is some tracks here and there that I like but BOTT is great from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Wengy posted:

Interesting, I'd always preferred Infidels, maybe I'll have to give Shot of Love another chance. Out of all the Christian albums I guess I still like Slow Train Coming the best, so awesome. It and Infidels are of course both helped by Knopfler on guitar...

I guess what I'm getting at is that Infidels is overrated in the same way the gospel albums are underrated, due to being perceived as the end of his "Christian period", although the Christian influence is very much still there

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I guess what I'm getting at is that Infidels is overrated in the same way the gospel albums are underrated, due to being perceived as the end of his "Christian period", although the Christian influence is very much still there

Infidels is really good and has one of his best backing bands out of a lot of great backing bands. It sounded modern for the time, which Saved and Shot didn't, and still sounds really clean if kinda dated. There's a reason it was pretty well received.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Infidels is really good and has one of his best backing bands out of a lot of great backing bands. It sounded modern for the time, which Saved and Shot didn't, and still sounds really clean if kinda dated. There's a reason it was pretty well received.

It's very good indeed, but it's let down by some of the lyrics which kind of border on insane ramblings.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 23, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wengy posted:

It's very good indeed, but it's let down by some of the lyrics which kind of border on insane ramblings.
Like what? Stylistically the small songs foreshadow the techniques he carried throughout the 80s and 90s where they're simpler and punchier. The ballads off the record are impeccable. And if you include blind willie mctell it's really hard to argue with the lyricism.

Neighborhood Bully and Union Sundown are kind of throwaway songs but lots of great albums have a couple of stinkers. At least those two have a good beat.

Unless I missed something and people were saying infidels is as good as highway 61 or something.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Can't look up the lyrics in detail, but IIRC there's a couple of weird lines about the sinful nature of space travel (???), some strange potshots against the unions ("dinosaurs") in a song that's criticizing capitalism (???), and then there's that cringe-worthy pro-Israel song. Dunno, it just seems muddled and all over the place lyrically. Musically, I think it's easily his second-strongest album of the 80s (though that's not saying much), and better than his most recent stuff (Together through life or Tempest).

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

And hell, if he weren't insane he'd have included Blind Willie which would automatically make Infidels 700 times more awesome

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wengy posted:

Can't look up the lyrics in detail, but IIRC there's a couple of weird lines about the sinful nature of space travel (???), some strange potshots against the unions ("dinosaurs") in a song that's criticizing capitalism (???), and then there's that cringe-worthy pro-Israel song. Dunno, it just seems muddled and all over the place lyrically. Musically, I think it's easily his second-strongest album of the 80s (though that's not saying much), and better than his most recent stuff (Together through life or Tempest).

Tempest rules

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wengy posted:

Yeah, but come on, Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight? That's a brilliant song. I love the weird apocalyptic imagery in the first verse. And even the chorus. It's just a great sentiment.

I will say the Aaron Neville version is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXHHssqMt8

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Don't fall apart on me tonight is amazing.

Replace Union Sundown and Neighborhood Bully with Blind Willie McTell and Foot of Pride and boom, Infidels is a top 5 Dylan record for sure.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Speaking of Infidels, there's a bunch of really great outtakes and alternative takes here: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=322

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm sorry to bump this, but as far as I can see, this is the only Bob Dylan thread. I've been listening to Blood on the Tracks on the thread's recommendation, and gotta say, I love it. Idiot Wind is basically Like a Rolling Stone 2.0, this time also blaming himself for having been a fool instead of spending the entire song trashing the girl (although he still does that). It's amazing how much, but also how little, he changed from 65 to 75.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Idiot Wind is a towering achievement, and far and away his best song.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zh1 posted:

Idiot Wind is a towering achievement, and far and away his best song.
Tangled Up in Blue is better, but it's close.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight is a perfect song. It's the best song on the album Infidels, and only would have been toppled by Blind Willie McTell had it made it on the album. I'm putting this statement out there, and I'm sticking to it. Sweetheart Like You is close.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Both good songs but I and I is the best song on infidels

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014
Is Street-Legal considered one of his "Christian period" albums? I ask because while I think that the record as a whole is pretty weak, Senor (Tales of Yankee Power) is probably one of his most underrated songs.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Gologle posted:

I'm sorry to bump this, but as far as I can see, this is the only Bob Dylan thread. I've been listening to Blood on the Tracks on the thread's recommendation, and gotta say, I love it. Idiot Wind is basically Like a Rolling Stone 2.0, this time also blaming himself for having been a fool instead of spending the entire song trashing the girl (although he still does that). It's amazing how much, but also how little, he changed from 65 to 75.

Also, I totally agree with this observation here (Idiot Wind being a more mature sequel to Like a Rolling Stone). That said, my favorite reading of Like a Rolling Stone is that it's a kiss-off not to an ex-lover, but to the whole notion of wholesome American innocence. When seen in that light, the song becomes almost triumphant. "When you ain't got nothing you got nothin' to lose" -- the country has been stripped of its myths and illusions, so now the real work can begin.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Falstaff Infection posted:

Is Street-Legal considered one of his "Christian period" albums? I ask because while I think that the record as a whole is pretty weak, Senor (Tales of Yankee Power) is probably one of his most underrated songs.

He started hanging out with T Bone Burnett during the rolling thunder revue tour and he was probably going to that church in and around when he was writing street legal (which I think was recorded in LA so that makes sense too), but Slow Train Coming is his first born again record. Street legal isn't weak though, lots of good stuff there.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

BigFactory posted:

He started hanging out with T Bone Burnett during the rolling thunder revue tour and he was probably going to that church in and around when he was writing street legal (which I think was recorded in LA so that makes sense too), but Slow Train Coming is his first born again record. Street legal isn't weak though, lots of good stuff there.

It's just always felt a bit over-produced to me, what with all the background singers and songs with like 2-3 instrumental solos each. I kind of analogize it to Leonard Cohen's I'm Your Man-- it's an interesting and ambitious departure from an artist's expected form and it's got a few killer tracks, but overall it's just too much and it descends into self-parody pretty frequently.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'm your man is really good too, but if you listen to desire and street legal back to back they're not that different. Street legal is more coked out for sure but not much more.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014
That may be, but for whatever reason Desire just feels a lot more restrained to me, violin or no violin. Although I have to say that as much as I dig Hurricane, it's got some pretty dumb lyrics and forced rhymes ("you don't wanna have to go to jail / be a nice fellow" ; "and took him to the infirmary and though this man could hardly see / the told him he was the one who could ID the guilty man.")

To bring the thread all back home, so to speak, I'd say my favorite early 60s Dylan album is Blonde on Blonde. It strikes that perfect Dylan balance between being super cool and just a little bit aloof while somehow also being completely emotionally raw. It helps that Visions of Johanna is probably his best "epic surrealism" song.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Most of the Time is a good song.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Sweetheart like you is a fantastic song and it features one of Mick Taylor's best solos. I suck terribly at playing the guitar but I just had to learn it it's so good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
http://bobdylan.com/on-tour/

New album and tour this summer. Mavis Staples in support on the US leg. According to Pitchfork the record is called Fallen Angels.

I guess this is still the de facto Dylan thread, so bump. I haven't seen him since before Tempest, so I should probably hit a couple of these this summer. He's gonna die one of these days.

Edit: New record is going to be more standards in the vein of Shadows in the Night. Sounds like it's all songs from Sinatra's repertoire. It comes out May 20th, with a 4 song ep for Record Store Day.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 9, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Happy 75th birthday Bob.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
The Current is going to have a six hour marathon where they play 75 of his songs. Will also go over stories among other things.

Can be heard online by going to http://www.thecurrent.org/local at noon central time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My 4 year old's favorite bob dylan songs are in order:

1. When the ship comes in
2. Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic massacre blues
3. Don't think twice it's all right
4. Man gave names to all the animals
5. TIE Mr. Tambourine man/It's All Over Now Baby Blue

We're going to bake a cake and throw a party tonight.

• Locked thread