Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ho!y gently caress. Surprised you got the package at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
I spoke too soon. They don't damp properly, all squeak, some leak, and one's seized.

Emailed the seller but I don't imagine UPS shipping from Mexico leaves a proper recourse.

:homebrew:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
A card charge dispute would.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are Koni's rebuild-able?

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
Yes. I bought some old as hell rear Koni's from the 90s for a Lumina, supposedly rebuilt before long storage. Both needed rebuilding before I even put them on the car.

it was only after I paid way too much and sent the front ones in did they go "ooops our bad we made some back in the 90s that were not rebuildable"

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/About/Contact/
Call them up and see how much it will cost to rebuild them. They rebuild tons of stuff there.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/About/Contact/
Call them up and see how much it will cost to rebuild them. They rebuild tons of stuff there.

When I checked for my veloster on some used koni's the cost to rebuild was cost of new basically

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well when you can't get new not much of a choice, definitely pick out the best four and have them rebuilt if you can.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OneOverZero posted:

I spoke too soon. They don't damp properly, all squeak, some leak, and one's seized.

Emailed the seller but I don't imagine UPS shipping from Mexico leaves a proper recourse.

:homebrew:

UPS will laugh at the packing job, and the shipper has to collect the insurance even so, so good luck.
Never, ever, ship anything loose. That poo poo gets slammed around to much, and f you let it move inside the box it'll try to escape, or beat itself to death inside the box.

edit: I had a guy ship me a '70-'72 Olds Cutlass dash pad just sort of floating around in a pair of Dixie Cup boxes taped together, with a few foam popcorn kernels thrown in. It inevitably got broken in shipping (ruining a perfectly good dash, which infuriated me more than anything else - these things are hard to find uncracked/unwarped) and dipshit told me to go talk to UPS about insurance. Which of course I could do, because I was the shippee, not the shipper. That was also the last time I paid for anything on eBay with something other than PayPal. I paid by MO, and had zero recourse other than negative feedback. Then the asshat gave me negative feedback for giving him negative feedback for poor shipping/packaging (this was back before there were several specific feedback points.) I still have it, and may try some plastic wizardry and re-upholstery to fix it some day - one end got broken off.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 30, 2016

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

I have gone off the deep end. In my basement is a freshly-rebuilt 2.4L (Stratus block, PT Cruiser head, Crower cams/springs & titanium valve retainers, etc) mated to a freshly-rebuilt ACR-spec T350 trans with a new Quaife LSD. I paid $900 for the pair, so probably around a fifth of what the builder had in them, though shipping from Northern CA hurt. With a couple brackets out of Chryslers of a similar vintage and a handful of re-pinning at the ECU connectors, everything should bolt in fairly easily while retaining AC.

The white ACR now has new hubs/bearings in the front knuckles, a new ACR-spec steering rack, new strut mounts, and slotted rebound-adjustable Konis. Why slotted? For the '95-'98.5ish ACRs, Chrysler included slotted struts in the front to accommodate aggressive camber. ACRs were typically shipped unaligned to dealers, and the service department would align the car per the new owner's specifications. However, so many dealers neglected to do this that Chrysler reverted to the standard 14.6mm thru holes midway through the '98 model year This car, being a '96, originally had slotted Arvin struts, but the Konis I purchased were all for the '99 MY. A Bridgeport (and AI's resident Opel enthusiast MonkeyNutz) made quick work of the non-slotted holes for me, per a milling template Chrysler provided for SCCA folks:

I've struggled to get much else done as TRUK STUFFF has taken up quite a bit of time.

Third autocross of the season is tomorrow!

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Oh look, triplets.

I went full Tortoise and the Hare on them and edged out a slightly better time than either. Co-driver bested me by a second.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

OneOverZero posted:

Oh look, triplets.

I went full Tortoise and the Hare on them and edged out a slightly better time than either. Co-driver bested me by a second.

I bet those Viper drivers were pleased. :v:

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

I hosed off the Neon yesterday after washing my truck. Water and white PPG paint from 1996 don't mix. Time to prep the rough sections with Metal Ready and lay down some white POR15.

MonkeyNutZ will be taking some time off from his Opelzuki saga to recreate the 1996 Neon Challenge scheme in Plastidip. My other thought was painting it like the General Lee, but called the General Leif and with a Norwegian flag on the roof (because gently caress the South) but my desire for self-preservation in this godforsaken traitor wasteland kicked in.

If the Plastidip lasts a year or so, that should be enough time to decide on a more permanent solution.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LOL

Holy crap, what a mess. See this is why I never wash the cars.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I wholeheartedly support this scheme.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Don't think I've ever seen white POR15 as a topcoat before.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
We're actually using the POR "top coat" paint that's UV stable. Regular POR gets all chalky under direct UV after a while.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

OneOverZero posted:

My other thought was painting it like the General Lee, but called the General Leif and with a Norwegian flag on the roof (because gently caress the South) but my desire for self-preservation in this godforsaken traitor wasteland kicked in.

This is only allowed on Volvo's :colbert:

I actually went to highschool with a guy who had that exact paint scheme on a old volvo, can't remember if it was a early 242 or an Amazon, but it was awesome

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MonkeyNutZ posted:

We're actually using the POR "top coat" paint that's UV stable. Regular POR gets all chalky under direct UV after a while.

I tried the Tremclad aluminum-shavings paint on my Subaru's fender as sort of a ghetto rust-proof colour match, and after oxidation I bet the POR15 aluminum/silver paint would create a pretty cool effect on the Neon.

Good luck topcoating it though.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Holy crap I forgot this thread existed. You're making my Chevron Car obsession as a wee tot come to life.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I tried the Tremclad aluminum-shavings paint on my Subaru's fender as sort of a ghetto rust-proof colour match, and after oxidation I bet the POR15 aluminum/silver paint would create a pretty cool effect on the Neon.

Good luck topcoating it though.
I'm somewhat leery myself, but unlike the standard POR15 coating, Top Coat supposedly has good adhesion on wood, fiberglass, or pretty much anything else that's properly prepped - doesn't necessarily have to be bare metal. If I remember correctly, it's quite similar to the bygone Chassis Coat, which (albeit not exposed to UV) has held up beautifully for three years on my Comanche's rear frame, er subframe, or whatever the hell you call the ladder section of a unibody pickup. (Although it had some small surface corrosion spots, it had altogether more remaining paint and primer than the top of the Neon.:v:) I believe it's also the basis for the rust encapsulator that Eastwood sells.

At any rate, I think the best bet is to blast away whatever paint I can with a pressure washer, scuff the remaining edges well, and prep.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Slowly but surely, I'm getting the hang of it. Unfortunately, I only had four runs yesterday, and three of them were DNFs as I was going the tight way around a gate - apparently common, but significantly slower. Two of my friends each cut more than a second off my time later in the day, but they didn't have a passenger, so there :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RrvtVyZDxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

GJ Robert.

Nice choice of music.

• Locked thread