Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was playing a bit of Kerbal space program (with youtube running in the background), when suddenly 1. the game became unresponsive 2. for about 2 seconds all colours were changed to 8-bit equivalents (ie green became really green, red very red etc...) 3. The pc shut itself down and restarted. 4. When it restarted, on the dos boot screen there were several vertical lines that didn't move. 5. When I got into windows, it was in 800x600 and the screen had vertical dotted lines every 3 cm or so and a lot of strange pixelation - like a mild version of white noise on an old tv. 6. I shut the pc down, when I restarted, the fans went on but nothing happened. When I forced shutdown and restarted it was back to normal.

what happened? Should I be worried for my hardware?

edit: I remembered the existence of event logs, and I think this is the relevant log:

quote:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

details:
code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date:          13/03/2015 16:20:17
Event ID:      20
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:      Michiel_Tyrel
Description:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger" Guid="{C26C4F3C-3F66-4E99-8F8A-39405CFED220}" />
    <EventID>20</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-03-13T15:20:17.299513300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>150303</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{67D75BB1-D41C-4026-B9CD-A57547D3B430}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="964" ThreadID="3576" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Michiel_Tyrel</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="ErrorSource">3</Data>
    <Data Name="ApicId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="MCABank">4</Data>
    <Data Name="MciStat">0xfa00000000070f0f</Data>
    <Data Name="MciAddr">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="MciMisc">0xc00a0fff01000000</Data>
    <Data Name="ErrorType">7</Data>
    <Data Name="Length">928</Data>
    <Data Name="RawData">*edit: I removed data because it breaks tables. If it's useful I shall post it*</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Post your system specs. It's kinda like you posted a thread in AI about a weird thing your car did without actually saying what car you have.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

cpu: phenom ii x4 955
graphics card: nvidia gts 250
8 gigs ram
motherboard: M4A79XTD_EVO/

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like you had an issue with your videocard, which isn't surprising at all given that it's so far past its expected lifespan. The issue probably would have been fully corrected without the multiple reboot cycles if you fully shut the system down, turned off the power supply, let it sit for a bit, then turned it back on. Remember that the motherboard remains on even when the system is "turned off" so you haven't actually rebooted it if power remains connected. Do plan to replace the videocard, either if issues continue or just because it's obsolete. Even something basic like a GTX 750 Ti 2GB would be a huge upgrade and you'd regain driver support.

What's the brand and model of your power supply? A low-end or marginal power supply bought with the system would no longer be safe to use. I'd also suggest running Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable) to verify none of your drives show caution, make sure your system can complete at least a few full passes of Memtest86+ without issues, and thoroughly clean the system out with a canned air duster, paying special attention to the fans and heatsinks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alereon posted:

It sounds like you had an issue with your videocard, which isn't surprising at all given that it's so far past its expected lifespan. The issue probably would have been fully corrected without the multiple reboot cycles if you fully shut the system down, turned off the power supply, let it sit for a bit, then turned it back on. Remember that the motherboard remains on even when the system is "turned off" so you haven't actually rebooted it if power remains connected. Do plan to replace the videocard, either if issues continue or just because it's obsolete. Even something basic like a GTX 750 Ti 2GB would be a huge upgrade and you'd regain driver support.

What's the brand and model of your power supply? A low-end or marginal power supply bought with the system would no longer be safe to use. I'd also suggest running Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable) to verify none of your drives show caution, make sure your system can complete at least a few full passes of Memtest86+ without issues, and thoroughly clean the system out with a canned air duster, paying special attention to the fans and heatsinks.

I'm planning on keeping this machine running for another 6 months or so, then I'll have the funds to build a completely new system. My PSU is an Antec Basiq PS 550W. I'll try those tools you gave me, thanks. Also I have a can of compressed air and I undust the thing about every 5 months. All I need is for this system to keep running for just a little while longer...

• Locked thread