Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Phaeoacremonium posted:

A couple of years ago, my friends a few blocks up the road got a four-page handwritten rambling account by a JW in their mailbox. I received the same thing a few months later. It must have been some kind of attempt to witness to the unbeliever without having to do the house to house thing. It must have taken ages to write out every individual letter and was more than a little odd. Has anyone else ever heard of this, or is it something unique to the very tiny JW minority in a country where it may be dangerous to go house to house, especially on one's own?

Letter writing and cold calling are another form of the ministry and typically done in circumstances where it is unsafe, impractical, or just impossible to reach someone. JWs are told to get creative in where and how they preach, especially "informal witnessing" (I think this was mentioned earlier), which is using any opportunity to preach like segueing a conversation at work or chit-chat at the gas pump into Bible talk. Kids are encouraged to think of their school as their own personal territory.

When they started doing campaigns with invitations that are essentially flyers, the goal being to place as many as possible and just get it in their hands, we were told to skip the usual presentation. Having already been phoning it in for years, I had my aha moment and started doing that with the regular work and my placement numbers shot up. The entire time though I'd hear Mitch Hedberg's voice: "Here. You throw this away."

Drighton fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
See that makes perfect sense under the circumstances.

Coincidentally, the letter-writer turned out to be the only JW I've ever met (it really is a very small minority here), a girl I knew at University. She spent her entire first year hanging out with the only Muslim in our residence, bonding over religious resentment toward the rest of us and our hard-partying, sex-having ways. Her bizarre attitude makes more sense now that I've read this thread.

• Locked thread