Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Furism posted:

I think Aloth is alright and the problem is mostly that the VA is over the top. But being raised in an aristocratic house (even as a servant family) I can see how it makes sense for him to sound annoying. I really dislike his alt personality voice though.

One way to look at it if you agree that people need to believe in something greater (Gods) is that Thaos wasn't wrong to try and keep the farce going. The problem was the means by which he did it. Aloth says iirc that he'll keep the Leaden Key running to preserve the illusion/secret but not being an rear end in a top hat about it.

Now of course after a few turns in the Wheel he'll become crazy like Thaos.

One cool thing is that although you have to fight Thaos you can agree with him in dialogue and end up completing his plan, which I can only imagine will make it harder to write interactions with the gods in the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CottonWolf posted:

Is it imagined as being a positive or negative place? Since people reference it while cursing, I guess the latter? It sounds more neutral than I imagined with a name like Hel. It's pretty evocative of fire and brimstone. Though I'll admit I don't know what the Norse Hel was like.
Well, it's the afterlife, so sending someone there usually means killing them. The connotation of Hel isn't inherently "evil" in Eora.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SunAndSpring posted:

Really all of Carrie Patel's characters are poo poo, she's not good at writing interesting companions.

I liked Eder, Sagani, Hirivias and Durance. Did she do any of those four? Because if so, I disagree!

I do not like Aloth. As a character. As a person. As a cog in my combat strategy. I replace him with an Inn Wizard when I want a Wizard on the team.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

I liked Eder, Sagani, Hirivias and Durance. Did she do any of those four? Because if so, I disagree!

I do not like Aloth. As a character. As a person. As a cog in my combat strategy. I replace him with an Inn Wizard when I want a Wizard on the team.

She did Sagani.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Clever Spambot posted:

I cannot believe there was ever a time when people thought wizards weren't insane. When the game first released there was not a single enemy in the game that was immune to slicken, and you could eventually cast it 4 times per encounter. Like, i know that release ciphers were also really good but that stuff was just nuts.

That said this playthrough I'm actually not using aloth because i wanted to try out some of the other members and i'm surprised how little i'm missing him.

I know, right? I think part of it was that Aloth's starter spellbook didn't have slicken in it (did it? it's been a while), but you could roll a new wizard and steal his tome and then most monsters don't get to stand for the rest of the game. I haven't played PoE since immunities went in, so I'm a little sad I can't slicken dragons and other large creatures, just because.

Ginette Reno posted:

Huh? His split personality comes up all the time, like 24/7 if you have him in the party. Other party members rib him constantly over it, and there's tons of content where it comes up.

I feel like this is a tad hyperbolic. I'm curious to see how many lines his alternate personality actually has in the game, voiced or otherwise, and I know the companions will make fun of him every once in a while. Mostly it comes out when doing his personal quest, then kind of disappears. Once again, it reminds me a lot of Sand and his personality quirk of sniffing or smelling something. He does it a few times, but most of it slips by people. I know it's easy to make fun of people, and goons, who miss poo poo that seems obvious to you and me. But I think it's fair to say it's not as common as 24/7 literally all the time constantly forever, as you're implying. It happens, a few times.

On the topic of NPC's: I never played with the WM ones because my PC characters were rogue and monk, in that order. Hard to take redundant companions, and PoE is so long replaying it is troublesome. Otherwise, I liked how normal sagani is, and just sounds like an absolutely normal person in every way, and I actually dislike kana. I can't put my finger on it, but I'd take GM over kana. I realize that makes me a monster.

Hiravias was possibly my favorite besides Eder. Especially when goons acted like he was a creepy weirdo while in the same breath fellating Durance who was shouting at whores while pointing at his crotch and suggestively wiggling whatever remained of his eyebrows.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

rope kid posted:

People use the term Hel in two ways: 1) another way to refer to the Beyond, the place where souls go between incarnations or 2) the depths of the world, where people assume adra pillars originate. In most Eoran minds, these are the same place, the former being metaphysical/spiritual, the latter being the physical.

What about devils? What are those on Eora?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

User0015 posted:

I know, right? I think part of it was that Aloth's starter spellbook didn't have slicken in it (did it? it's been a while), but you could roll a new wizard and steal his tome and then most monsters don't get to stand for the rest of the game. I haven't played PoE since immunities went in, so I'm a little sad I can't slicken dragons and other large creatures, just because.

I feel like this is a tad hyperbolic. I'm curious to see how many lines his alternate personality actually has in the game, voiced or otherwise, and I know the companions will make fun of him every once in a while. Mostly it comes out when doing his personal quest, then kind of disappears. Once again, it reminds me a lot of Sand and his personality quirk of sniffing or smelling something. He does it a few times, but most of it slips by people. I know it's easy to make fun of people, and goons, who miss poo poo that seems obvious to you and me. But I think it's fair to say it's not as common as 24/7 literally all the time constantly forever, as you're implying. It happens, a few times.

On the topic of NPC's: I never played with the WM ones because my PC characters were rogue and monk, in that order. Hard to take redundant companions, and PoE is so long replaying it is troublesome. Otherwise, I liked how normal sagani is, and just sounds like an absolutely normal person in every way, and I actually dislike kana. I can't put my finger on it, but I'd take GM over kana. I realize that makes me a monster.

Hiravias was possibly my favorite besides Eder. Especially when goons acted like he was a creepy weirdo while in the same breath fellating Durance who was shouting at whores while pointing at his crotch and suggestively wiggling whatever remained of his eyebrows.

Off the top of my head it comes up when you meet him, during the quest to meet Maerwald, and also during the main quest in Defiance Bay it comes up when you go to meet the cultists in the sewers (after which he flat out explains to you what his problem is) and then you get the quest to go to the Sanitarium with him.

And there is all the inter party banter making fun of him for being a schizo.

I mean I guess it would be possible to miss some or all of that if you didn't take him along with you in the early parts of the game but you wouldn't even have an opportunity to switch him out for a while unless you created party members or made a beeline for Hiravias/GM/Pallegina.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
My favorite companions were Eder and Zahua, so I really hope that Fenstermaker will be doing some writing for the game even though he's busy being a daddy now. I think Zahua took the whole "drug schtick" a bit far but I found him amusing and there was some pretty good depth to his story and quest as well.

As far as Carrie Patel's characters go, I found them a bit hit and miss. But to be honest, the misses were mostly due to some of the characters feeling a bit "thin" and that some of the quests were a bit badly set up. The Devil of Caroc is a pretty cool character but when I played the expansion I ended up tripping her quest pretty much by accident without even trying and then I completed it pretty much before I had gotten to know her. It felt abrupt. I didn't like Maneha much, mostly because of the chirpy voiceacting, but she also felt a bit thin content-wise.

Sagani was my favorite of the bunch. She felt "normal" but her story resonated with me and I really liked the ending of her quest. I think Patel also wrote the dialogues with the gods and that was some of my favorite writing in the entire game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If we're playing as the Watcher again, I hope there's some sort of justification available for recustomizing the Watcher from the save you import. Because the only endgame save I think I want to import is my human Cipher, and I don't know yet if I want to play a human Cipher again in PoE2.

Kill off the Watcher in the intro and have them be reincarnated IMO (I'm joking, people would be furious)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Octo1 posted:

What about devils? What are those on Eora?
"Devils" in Eora are bad people, not pointy beard pitchfork supernatural minions of evil gods.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

"Devils" in Eora are bad people, not pointy beard pitchfork supernatural minions of evil gods.

But Thaos fits all of that criteria except the pitchfork :colbert:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ginette Reno posted:

But Thaos fits all of that criteria except the pitchfork :colbert:

He has a summer house on a farm actually.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harrow posted:

If we're playing as the Watcher again, I hope there's some sort of justification available for recustomizing the Watcher from the save you import. Because the only endgame save I think I want to import is my human Cipher, and I don't know yet if I want to play a human Cipher again in PoE2.

Kill off the Watcher in the intro and have them be reincarnated IMO (I'm joking, people would be furious)

Changing your character should definitely be an option somehow because, if, for instance, you were a priest, there are some serious RP reasons that things might have changed between games.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

CottonWolf posted:

Changing your character should definitely be an option somehow because, if, for instance, you were a priest, there are some serious RP reasons that things might have changed between games.

Yeah, that'd be nice. I played a priest of Skaen who basically abandoned her god at the end because he was seemingly Woedica's toady. It'd be cool as heck to be able to re-align her class to match that story at the start of the sequel.

edit: Wael 4 life

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You've gone into hiding . . . And disguise!

I'm not human anymore mom I'm an elf now

My fav companions were definitely Eder and the animals Eder wanted to pet

Sagani was well written but never had much place in my parties. Aloth was the opposite. He fit well mechanics wise but drat did Aloth have too much poo poo going on. Pick one deep dark secret and stick to that one.

Durance was a must include because he was such an important part of the setting, and because he also fit well mechanically.

Hiravias was also well written but tended to get pushed out of the party by other folks.

Pallegina just didn't work for me personally, possibly because her name is literally "female paladin, but in fake Italian." And I never got over that.

Kahlua was almost really great but suffered from Chanters being a kinda blah class without many fun gimmicks.

Grieving Mother was a deviantart profile given flesh. So badly overwritten, so painful.

I haven't gotten to the expansion companions yet, doing them now. So far zahua seems fun.

I hope the next game has a dwarf buddy and a talking dog. Give me a dwarf buddy and a talking dog and I'm a happy camper. I'll play any game with a dog buddy in it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I liked all of the companions well enough. My favorites were Eder, Sagani, and Durance. Aloth is probably my least favorite personality-wise but he's such a powerful class that I often take him anyways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I really dislike Grieving Mother, Durance, and Maneha. I was neutral on Hiravas, Pallegina, Devil of Caroc, Aloth and Zahua. Really, really liked Kana, Eder, and Sagani.

Kana is probably my favorite companion overall, and the one I would want to return.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 26, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The only run I actually completed was Hiravas, Zahua, Kana, Eder, Sagani and a PC Barb.

Sort of a "stoner lost boys and a pint-sized Wendy w/ a fox" thing going on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I hope Kana's personal quest in PoE2 is about paying off his student loans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hiravis was okay. I kinda wish that Eder had been the Druid and Hiravis had been the Fighter, or that there was a mod to do that. Farmer who loves pets as a druid and perverted hobbit as fighter would have been fun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I would pay like $20 for a DLC that lets you change the rear end and stats of the NCPs.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

I would pay like $20 for a DLC that lets you change the rear end and stats of the NCPs.

Agreed, but just the rear end changing.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

You really need to release that glossary, rope kid.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

Agreed, but just the rear end changing.

Yea, Eder's flat Hank Hill rear end really ruins he game for me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

zedprime posted:

I hope Kana's personal quest in PoE2 is about paying off his student loans.

IIRC, Kana's father built the most important defensive structure in Rautai and is pals with the king, so Kana probably doesn't have too many financial worries.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I hope we get to meet the rest of Kanas family.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: wait so you've hated this character so hard that you immediately kill them on sight, but you a) never got to actually understand what was even happening in that scene, and way more hilariously, b) never checked to see if that spoiler was correct

Because my friend.

That's not his ending.
Double-checked it and while I was wrong/wildly speculating about the restarting the crisis bit, he most certainly does take over in that particular ending.

The issue is that I just assumed he was another incredibly powerful Wizard NPC (similarly to Edwin from BGII) who happened to be a complete rear end in a top hat and had no problem with killing people for the hell of it. Given my interpretation of events up to that point, and given the ending I got in the first playthrough, I feel that was a fair conclusion to draw.

Also re: general companion chat, for me Eder comes in first place by a country mile (heh) and Sagani barely edges out Pallegina for second. I am hopeful that the sequel will continue the trend of lacking romantic subplots, because not having to deal with them was nice.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

In Pillars of Eternity I don't level adjust because I feel like I've earned that power, I'm not sure sure about the power curve of a direct import of my characters into Pillars 2.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

So, according to Neogaf, Polygon goofed and posted some Pillars 2 news early. The link is dead now, so they've corrected their mistake.

Polygon posted:

The team at Obsidian Entertainment is going back to the well, announcing Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire as a high-profile, equity crowdfunding effort through Fig. The campaign goes live today, and is seeking at least $1.1 million, with $2.25 million open for equity.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire promises to pick up where that game left off. A direct sequal, it promises to take the statue of Caed Nua, previously conceived as an elaborate sidequest funded in large part by Kickstarter backers, and turn it into the centerpiece of the entire game.

“Eothas ... the god of light and rebirth was thought dead, but he now inhabits the stone titan that sat buried under your keep, Caed Nua, for millennia,” reads a press release. “Ripping his way out of the ground, he destroys your stronghold and leaves you at the brink of death. To save your soul, you must track down the wayward god and demand answers — answers which could throw mortals and the gods themselves into chaos.”

The campaign promises players the ability to travel by both land and sea, where they’ll encounter new cultures and environments. Non-player characters will keep their own schedule, which will lead to dynamic quests. Some old party members will even return.

Obsidian even alludes to the fact that players may be able to carry over their save files from the original game to “continue the story you began as the Watcher of Caed Nua ... and see how your decisions and actions in the Dyrwood persist in Deadfire.”

Original link before it went dead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Goddammit I just put in granite countertops

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 26, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Another site jumped the gun, images are still up as of now: https://gameup24.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/obsidian-announces-pillars-of-eternity-2/

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Concept art shows Eder, a blue-haired orlan going akimbo with some pistols, a mage who may or may not be Aloth, a green-haired woman charging with a blue flaming sword (Pallegina?) and a tall Amuaua woman with a brightly colored hawk or eagle flying above her, as she's aiming a rifle. They're fighting off pirates on a boat that is getting attacked by something with huge tentacles.

Character art confirms Aloth / Eder / Pallegina. No others as yet. Environment art shows a turquoise (or copper) palace carved into the side of a dusty bluff, what looks like the interior of an Engwythan ruin, and a cave with some giant (dog-sized) worms to fight

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1mpdxuHNFw

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really hope Fig doesn't gently caress them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fig can draw money even if the pitch isn't a classic case of KS money printing ala Psychonauts 2. Reaction to Pillars among hardcores was generally positive. They'll come through.

Plus, the tangible success of PoE should draw quite a bit of private investment as well. We could be seeing a significantly larger budget for this one, not even including PoE profits that have probably produced what they'll be showing tomorrow.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

I hope this is more of a Divinity and Shadowrun situation, where the game is definitely going to happen and they explain how crowdfunding is going to make it better. I might pass this time around if it's just to get the game off the ground.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Rascyc posted:

I really hope Fig doesn't gently caress them.

Yeah I really hope they know what they're doing with Fig. I mean they're closely tied to it but I just want them to keep making games and hiring people, and i'm not sure fig is a good way to do that.

I'll probably back this on fig despite my misgivings, but it's about the only property I can imagine backing on those terms.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So looks like it's you, Aloth, Eder, Pallegina, an unnamed orlan with two guns, and an aumaua ranger, going by the art.

Can't wait to play Obsidian Presents: Shadow of the Colossus, or, Did Anyone Get The Number On That Statue?

cooshee
Feb 26, 2015

Basic Chunnel posted:

Fig can draw money even if the pitch isn't a classic case of KS money printing ala Psychonauts 2. Reaction to Pillars among hardcores was generally positive. They'll come through.

Plus, the tangible success of PoE should draw quite a bit of private investment as well. We could be seeing a significantly larger budget for this one, not even including PoE profits that have probably produced what they'll be showing tomorrow.
Sure but I guess they are really banking on fig funds/investments whatever since backer-wise fig really dampens the contributions. Wasteland 3 couldn't even make 900k with less than 1/3rd of the backer numbers of W2, I mean W2 really didn't set the world on fire and sequels get less money out of crowdfunding to begin with but that's a sharp drop off.

I hope it's an Original Sin situation where they need crowdfunding just for polish/further content and this is basically a preorder campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The screenshots look great. Really loving excited again!

New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509

• Locked thread