Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Problem description: I have a laptop (ASUS N55SF) that I use connected to an external display via HDMI --> DVI cable. It doesn't take long before my computer begins acting choppy. I check my Task Manager Performance indicators and the CPU percentage isn't anywhere near 100% and there's plenty of RAM available (16 GB in the system). The system fan, however, is going bonkers. The problems are the worst when I'm using Photoshop or watching videos.

Attempted fixes: After troubleshooting the issue, I discovered that this only happens when I'm using the external monitor via HDMI --> DVI, which is when the dedicated GPU is running the show. (GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M). The weird thing is that when I connect the monitor via VGA, everything works perfectly fine. Smooth sailing. From what I can tell, when VGA is connected the onboard graphics is running the show. (Intel HD 3000) Also, when I'm using the laptop display only, everything is perfectly fine.

Recent changes: None that I can think of. I've had the problem for a while because I thought my computer was just getting old. My computer is over 2 years old and I assumed that it wasn't up to task for the Photoshop work I was doing. But the specs are perfectly capable of doing what it should be doing, which is confirmed by how perfectly everything runs on VGA.

Operating system: WIndows 7 64-bit SP1

System specs:
ASUS N55SF
CPU: i7-2670QM
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Intel HD3000 & NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
Monitor: ViewSonic VP2365WB

What else?

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Googled like a mofo. I've done all sorts of troubleshooting that helped me discover (it appears) that the issue is related to the dedicated GPU (I think). I don't know how to investigate further though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you tried updating the Intel and nVidia graphics drivers, and cleaning out all the vents and fans with a canned air duster to make sure no dust bunnies are blocking airflow?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Alereon posted:

Have you tried updating the Intel and nVidia graphics drivers, and cleaning out all the vents and fans with a canned air duster to make sure no dust bunnies are blocking airflow?

The drivers are updated. I have not tried cleaning the vents and fans. That is one thing I knew I should try (but haven't yet), but it seemed weird that it was only a problem when I'm using the dedicated GPU. Although I guess it's possible only that part is blocked with dust?

I should probably clean it out anyway. I'm sure there's a lot of dust in there. It's had plenty of time to accumulate.

Thank you.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 21, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Some sprays with compressed air did the trick.

I feel dumb.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Glad that helped! Connecting the external display would have prevented the GPU from fully powering down (since it has to drive the display), which would cause additional heat production, and if dust bunnies were keeping air from moving through the heatsink cooling could be reduced so far that it would overheat.

• Locked thread