Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elfindreams
Jul 27, 2009
:siren: Kickstarter Ends Fri, Apr 10 2015 :siren:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground

Remember Descent? Ya we know you do. If you don't, Descent was one of the original, and some would argue still best, 6dof space combat games.

Well, picture a AAA modern upgrade of Descent with multiplayer PvP, diggable/destructable environments and a bunch of bells and whistles.

Imagine that it runs on PC, Linux, Mac and most anything Unreal Engine 4 runs on...

Now picture it being made by Wingman of StarCitizen fame in an open development process with the community.

That is Descent: Underground in a nutshell.

Official Links:
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground
Main Page (forums and chat): http://descendentstudios.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DescendentStudios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Why is this multiplayer only? Where is GuideBot? Why is Star Citizen already loosing people that are jumping to another kickstarter? Why does a player have to "earn" ships (or outright buy them) before playing them?

This looks horrible.

elfindreams
Jul 27, 2009

BexGu posted:

Why is this multiplayer only? Where is GuideBot? Why is Star Citizen already loosing people that are jumping to another kickstarter? Why does a player have to "earn" ships (or outright buy them) before playing them?

This looks horrible.

It isn't multiplayer only. There is a single player. They didn't lose people because of jumping to another kickstarter, it was a decision to leave because they didn't want to move to LA. (at least in the case of Wingman) Even Chris Roberts highlighted this kickstarter earlier in the week, if there were bad blood/jumping ship he wouldn't have done that.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I'm not terribly keen on the voxel stuff, and the environments looked way more open than what I remember from the original Descent. The voxel environments look like their way of going "Welp, we can't design good levels, so we'll just have people blow paths of their own through the terrain".

Also, not a single team member from the original games?

The whole thing just looks like Miner Wars, which was a boring pile of garbage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

elfindreams posted:

Now picture it being made by Wingman of StarCitizen fame in an open development process with the community.

Is this supposed to be an endorsement?

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Yeah, I'm not really sure that having a dude who left a crowd funded game before it was finished is something they should brag about...

greatBigJerk fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 19, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Haha what the gently caress is this crap?

Is every kickstarter this absurd with its pledges now?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this looks dumb and it was poo poo on in the kickstarter thread so i dont see why it needs its own thread. why would anyone back anything from any star citizen people when they havent even put out a real game yet?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Reason posted:

this looks dumb and it was poo poo on in the kickstarter thread so i dont see why it needs its own thread. why would anyone back anything from any star citizen people when they havent even put out a real game yet?

It also following the same model of monetizing ships purchase in game. You can buy them in game or just pay real money. Guess which way will be faster and easier?

God this just looks terrible all around.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 19, 2015

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, I was initially very excited when I saw the story on Slashdot, but the whole "buying your ships" thing turned me off big time. I'm a fan of kickstarting a game and getting everything in the game when it's released for a reasonable price (like Wasteland 2). On a side note, it'd be a shame if someone is able to kickstart a Freespace sequel, but uses the same ship-purchase model.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
That pitch video sounded less like a teaser for an upcoming videogame and more like a law firm's television commercial.

Edit: woah woah wait a minute

quote:

With a hundred million kilometers of vacuum between you and the mineral registry, all the fancy documents in the `Verse don’t amount to squat when the lasers start charging.

:golfclap:

MrBims fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 19, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Well if nothing else this made me reinstall descent 1 and 2, hell I even gave Forsaken another try (yeah it's still crap).

Star Citizen and everything it touches or spawns rapidly turns into poo poo. Watching this poo poo implode in slow motion is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I thought it was against the rules to make threads for KS games which haven't hit funding yet.

At least there's some sense at work, people looking at the game and not throwing money away because of the title.

• Locked thread