Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I agree the bigger challenge is to come up with Part 3's that were any good. This is what I could come up with off the top of my head, and even these are most likely questionable to a lot of people:

Exorcist III(don't argue with this one, I'll fight you)
Men in Black III
Friday the 13th Part 3(they don't start really sucking until part 5)
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King(not as good as the first two but still very very good)
Die Hard With a Vengeance
I'm also going to go out on a limb and say whenever The Raid 3 is made it will be awesome

And here's a Part 2 that people like to poo poo on but I've always thought is extremely underrated: Predator 2

Whilst nowhere near as good as the first two Godfather Part 3 is a legitimately good film and ends Michael's story well. It's criticised far to harshly because the first 2 were so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

StoneOfShame posted:

Whilst nowhere near as good as the first two Godfather Part 3 is a legitimately good film and ends Michael's story well. It's criticised far to harshly because the first 2 were so good.

I've always said that The Godfather: Part III is a lot like The Two Jakes in that respect. They're both [very good films that were released in 1990 that just aren't as good as the masterpieces from 1974 that they are sequels to.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Raxivace posted:

I've always said that The Godfather: Part III is a lot like The Two Jakes in that respect. They're both [very good films that were released in 1990 that just aren't as good as the masterpieces from 1974 that they are sequels to.

I really dig The Two Jakes and I agree with your comparison, the big difference between the two though is that Chinatown did not need a sequel at all whereas I feel there needed to be a conclusion to the Godfather saga, Michael needed to be punished for his sins (I'm only using the religious language as its so prevalent throughout the film) and his punishment was awful but one of the few things that could truly affect him, its a great end, it just sucks that Sofia Coppola is really bad in it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

Live Free or Die Hard is ... serviceable, Thunderball is mostly decent, and Rocky IV is ... well, it's something.

I dunno if Bond movies should count, it's not like there's many examples to tell us whether the 11th and 20th films in a series will suck as a rule.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Mothra vs. Godzilla is pretty awesome.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Honestly, even third entries are frequently good. Besides the ones already mentioned there's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Army of Darkness, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goldfinger, Tokyo Drift, Bourne Ultimatum and Ocean's Thirteen.

The real challenge is finding fourth entries which are good. Star Trek IV is the only one I can think of.

Rambo is the second best movie in the series.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Deathly Hallows Part 2 is really, really good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

computer parts posted:

It wasn't near the first movie but it was way better than At World's End and I remember thinking it was about the same as Dead Man's Chest (although I haven't seen the latter in forever).

At Worlds End may be completely bloated and overly complicated, and also kind of poo poo...but I can remember moments from that movie, even the bad ones, over anything in OST. And that is why I dislike it. It doesn't do anything really interesting. The action scenes are bland, the visuals are hideous, everything is subdued and just boring to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mothra vs. Godzilla is pretty awesome.

best giant monster movie ever made, IMO. but is it godzilla part 4 or mothra part 2?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

StoneOfShame posted:

I really dig The Two Jakes and I agree with your comparison, the big difference between the two though is that Chinatown did not need a sequel at all whereas I feel there needed to be a conclusion to the Godfather saga, Michael needed to be punished for his sins (I'm only using the religious language as its so prevalent throughout the film) and his punishment was awful but one of the few things that could truly affect him, its a great end, it just sucks that Sofia Coppola is really bad in it.

I agree with the assessment that Godfather 3 is pretty good, but just follows perfection.

However, Michael's "punishment" seemed to be alluded to enough in Godfather 2. 2 was basically a juxtaposition of he and his father and showed where he hosed up at every turn as opposed to his father who succeeded at the same turns. Culminating in him having to kill his brother and be stuck completely alone and forced to constantly meditate on his actions.

Michael was almost forced into the life just due to situation and constantly being tempted over and over again, and all of his decisions were practical and well-reasoned from his history, with him suffering from bad luck and Fredo being an idiot. He didn't really "deserve" any more than he got at the end of 2, and everything in 3 kind of seemed like piling on after the fact (trying his best to get out but they keep BRINGING HIM BACK IN, and his daughter dying in a really convoluted manner).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

I agree with the assessment that Godfather 3 is pretty good, but just follows perfection.

Godfather 3 only has three real problems for me:

- Sofia Coppola is brutal.

- Swapping George Hamilton for Robert Duvall is a major step backwards.

- The helicopter shootout feels like it belongs in a totally different movie.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

One of the best part 3's is The Last Crusade. One of the worst is American Ninja 3, because the absence of Michael 'American Ninja' Dudikoff.

Usually part 4's tries to recapture the spirit of 1-3 as a set, and fails miserably.
Nvm, Rocky IV.

HKS fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 25, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shneak posted:

Yup. Oddly enough I hate Vol.1 but I love Vol. 2.

I remember the complaint about Bud shooting Bea and then getting killed by Elle because we never got to see his cool gimmick, without realizing that's his cool gimmick.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mabuse the Gambler is only for completists.

Nah. It's the only one I've seen but it owns.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
You can say some movies series have a better Part 2, but you can't say that about Smokey and the Bandit or Porky's or most other movies series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

Nah. It's the only one I've seen but it owns.

See the others.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hot Shots part Deux renders the first one obsolete, this principle also applies to Addams Family Values

This is the thread's Most Correct Opinion. Addams Family Values is loving incredible, and until it gets a pristine Blu-Ray release I will consider that format disposable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is great, and possibly the best in the series.

I've only ever seen the first two, but my impression of the Mission Impossible movies is that they're like Bond films, there's a core central character and maybe a couple recurring ones but are essentially each completely standalone in terms of plot, continuity, visuals/style, tone to a degree, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

I've only ever seen the first two, but my impression of the Mission Impossible movies is that they're like Bond films, there's a core central character and maybe a couple recurring ones but are essentially each completely standalone in terms of plot, continuity, visuals/style, tone to a degree, etc.

M:I 3 has a mess of a script but is really well-directed and edited, and Ghost Protocol is just amazing on basically every level. There's some continuity between 3 and Ghost Protocol; consider them a soft reboot.

(Seriously, Ghost Protocol is amazing.)

• Locked thread