Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
Problem description: I am trying to get a pair of R9 280x cards to work together in crossfire. The system sees them both, and they both work perfectly fine as a single card. Even when they're both installed with a bridge on the machine boots up and works fine, but the enable crossfire option is grayed out in the Catalyst Control Center, alone with an error message stating I need to have both bridges hooked up. This struck me as odd, as these cards are supposed to work in Tri-Fire and Quad-Fire as far as I know, with both bridges on that would totally disable this. Anyone know if this is actually the case and this absolutely requires the use of 2 bridges for 2 cards?

Attempted fixes: I have tried a single bridge every which way it can be installed on the gpu's

Recent changes: Nope

--

Operating system: Win 8.1 64 bit

System specs: Core i5 4670k, MSI Gaming 5 mobo, Sapphire Dual-X R9 280-x, Club3D R9 280X, 8gb DDR3,

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yes, you must have both Crossfire bridges connected to enable Crossfire, just like it says. if you Google this you will find older information that says it can work with a single bridge, but this is no longer true. Tri and Quad crossfire never actually "worked" in terms of increasing performance for this reason (and PCI-E bandwidth*), the only exception was Quad-Crossfire achieved by pairing two dual-GPU cards.

*LGA-1150 boards offer a single PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot from the CPU. Decent boards can split this into two x8 slots, providing 8GB/sec of bandwidth each. The third PCI-E slot is provided by the chipset at PCI-E 2.0 x4, for only 2GB/sec of bandwidth. This isn't enough for a videocard to run for gaming, especially when trying to use multi-GPU rendering.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 22, 2015

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
Ahh, that makes sense! Thanks man, was really scratching my head over that.

• Locked thread