Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
God bless America, home of the criminally stupid.

We played a stock picking game in 6th grade math, and I picked Hershey because it was almost Halloween and their stock was guaranteed to go up. That's how it works right? Right? RIGHT?

A grown rear end man is somehow doing even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

g0lbez posted:

That's a damning quote but it's about the oil trade which doesn't have much relevancy on NTDOY

There are people in the entertainment industry who do that too. Those people have already moved on Nintendo a long time ago. You have absolutely no chance, on your own, to gain as much knowledge about Nintendo and its market as these people already have.

Seriously, business intelligence is a thing, market analysis is a thing, and people are getting paid full time to do it.

Small time speculators like you have already had their impact on the stock - remember when it shot up then came back down? Yeah you should have sold before it came back down, if you'd been able to know it was about to come back down.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I wanted to get a degree in finance because I was interested in trading stocks and making big bucks.
More than one of my professors, PhDs on the short list of renowned published names for research, told me that they don't buy individual stocks.

"I have the expertise and knowledge, but don't have the resources (including time) that the army of analysts at institutional desks do to participate meaningfully in the market"

The polite word for the aggregate of individual investors investing on their gut is "noise" in the system.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Alrighty I've been convinced I'm loving nuts now. I was going to ask if there are any other sound investment opportunities but I know I'll probably be directed towards index funds which is fine and would probably be a great compliment to my 401k.

I'm still going to invest in NTDOY but it's more of about 300-500ish as opposed to like... six thousand loving dollars. Anyway I wont close the thread in case any other person who gets an urge to invest half their life savings into an individual stock happens to come across this thread.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's still bad. You need an investment strategy not a single stock which is in a poorly performing company. I hope you have reconsidered and are not quitting your job and cashing out the 401k.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Devian666 posted:

That's still bad. You need an investment strategy not a single stock which is in a poorly performing company. I hope you have reconsidered and are not quitting your job and cashing out the 401k.

It's a gamble I know, I'm just reducing my bet to about less than a 10th of what it originally was. If I lose a few hundred it's not a big deal in the slightest, the risk/reward ratio was absolutely ridiculous before but with an investment of a few hundred the ratio is something I can work with and not have to worry about crushing my future. Also I'm getting the money from two different tax refunds and my wife's backpay so a few hundred wont break the bank at that point.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Since you seem to understand now that what you're doing is gambling, that's within an acceptable threshold of idiocy assuming you don't have any high-interest debt that that money could go to pay off instead.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
This is nuts. Please save your money and buy the books in the long term investing thread. Read "a random walk down Wall Street" and " four pillars of investing" before investing in anything outside of a target retirement fund.

If you want to still invest in Nintendo after reading those, go for it. But at least wait until you read those.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dead Pressed posted:

This is nuts. Please save your money and buy the books in the long term investing thread. Read "a random walk down Wall Street" and " four pillars of investing" before investing in anything outside of a target retirement fund.

If you want to still invest in Nintendo after reading those, go for it. But at least wait until you read those.

The Four Pillars of Investing was probably the best $25 that I spent in a long time.

In relation to keeping your job and leaving the 401k alone this is a good decision. While the books provide a good level of financial education on implementing modern portfolio theory you do need to sort out your impulse control. At least you've sought out advice before proceeding.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
You're living paycheck to paycheck yet you want to save up 300 dollars to invest in nintendo.

How do you think you stop living paycheck to paycheck g0lbez?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I bet you could earn a better return flipping Amiibos than flipping Nintendo stock.
Both are bad ideas, but one at least has a hobby attached.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Veskit posted:

You're living paycheck to paycheck yet you want to save up 300 dollars to invest in nintendo.

How do you think you stop living paycheck to paycheck g0lbez?

Let's say if by some crazy chance NTDOY shoots up or whatever. I know it's like a .1% chance but at least if it does somehow happen I'll be satisfied with making a few extra bucks and I won't even mind losing out on the potential gain I would've made with the $6000 investment because I'll at least know I didn't make a crazy loving decision even if it would've turned out profitable.

Worst case scenario if I desperately need to I can take my investment back out at a slight loss, it's not like I'll literally be setting fire to the money. Regardless I'll still check out the four pillars book Devian666 suggested before doing it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

g0lbez posted:

Let's say if by some crazy chance NTDOY shoots up or whatever. I know it's like a .1% chance but at least if it does somehow happen I'll be satisfied with making a few extra bucks and I won't even mind losing out on the potential gain I would've made with the $6000 investment because I'll at least know I didn't make a crazy loving decision even if it would've turned out profitable.

Worst case scenario if I desperately need to I can take my investment back out at a slight loss, it's not like I'll literally be setting fire to the money. Regardless I'll still check out the four pillars book Devian666 suggested before doing it.

You ignored my question g0lbez. Unless your answer is invest in nintendo and hope for the best, pretending like everyone just invests their money in a stock and prays and that's how they stop living paycheck to paycheck

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I guess a higher paying position would be one way to answer the question but I get your point anyway. I know just putting it in savings or investing in something less riskier would be ideal but I'm wanting to do that anyway with the rest of the money I'm getting from the refunds and backpay. I highly doubt Nintendo is going to bankrupt anytime soon so again I'm not literally throwing the money away, I'm just putting it somewhere where it may increase or decrease slightly.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Well let me say this because I know you're way more educated financially than I am so I don't want to make it seem like I'm dismissing you. What would be a better plan for the $300 I would potentially be investing into this company?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

g0lbez posted:

Well let me say this because I know you're way more educated financially than I am so I don't want to make it seem like I'm dismissing you. What would be a better plan for the $300 I would potentially be investing into this company?
Well if

quote:

You're living paycheck to paycheck
then an emergency fund? Or debt, if you got debt.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

g0lbez posted:

Roth Ira, emergency fund, buying the recommended investing books in this thread, newbie thread, and investing thread. Sensible investing isn't hard, you've just got to be calculated and patient. Banking on one company isn't smart, trying to get rich quick isn't smart.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

g0lbez posted:

I guess a higher paying position would be one way to answer the question but I get your point anyway. I know just putting it in savings or investing in something less riskier would be ideal but I'm wanting to do that anyway with the rest of the money I'm getting from the refunds and backpay. I highly doubt Nintendo is going to bankrupt anytime soon so again I'm not literally throwing the money away, I'm just putting it somewhere where it may increase or decrease slightly.

You have no loving idea what's going to happen to NIntendo. It could be discovered tomorrow the CEO embezzled money. There could be a massive recall because the hardware in the Wii U causes cancer.

Diversify your loving portfolio if you're going to invest.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

CelestialScribe posted:

You have no loving idea what's going to happen to NIntendo. It could be discovered tomorrow the CEO embezzled money. There could be a massive recall because the hardware in the Wii U causes cancer.

Diversify your loving portfolio if you're going to invest.

There's probably a better chance of the stock price rising to Wii levels than any of that crap happening. Anyway I'm convinced to hold on to the three hundred dollars and put it up in savings until I read the book that was recommended to me and go from there.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

g0lbez posted:

There's probably a better chance of the stock price rising to Wii levels than any of that crap happening.

People said this before Lehman brothers ate poo poo, too.

quote:

Anyway I'm convinced to hold on to the three hundred dollars and put it up in savings until I read the book that was recommended to me and go from there.

Good call. Already smarter thanks to this thread.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

g0lbez posted:

-Roth IRA
-Emergency Fund
-More therapy/a psychiatrist. Seriously. Mental illness impacts your ability to make good financial decisions. Stick with it even if it feels like it's not working right away - it takes time and effort to make it work, no matter which drug or therapy you end up with. I know your e/n thread has gone on about this already, but it's just That Important.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Haifisch posted:

-More therapy/a psychiatrist. Seriously. Mental illness impacts your ability to make good financial decisions. Stick with it even if it feels like it's not working right away - it takes time and effort to make it work, no matter which drug or therapy you end up with. I know your e/n thread has gone on about this already, but it's just That Important.

This especially if your copays on visits or your meds are high. What about your deductibles? What if you realize your psych is bad and you need a new better one? Cover cost to travel to your appointments which could end up being weekly. These are all infinitely better things than risking it on nintendo because they satisfy your body mind and soul.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

g0lbez posted:

There's probably a better chance of the stock price rising to Wii levels than any of that crap happening. Anyway I'm convinced to hold on to the three hundred dollars and put it up in savings until I read the book that was recommended to me and go from there.

Do a google search for GTAT

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

canyoneer posted:

gently caress man. GTAT is such a solid story. Haters gunna hate, it couldn't happen to Nintendo, a company that can't afford to pay a dividend. Or is trading at a far lower price now that it was fifteen years ago...

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

I can't find it in my chatlogs but I think g0lbez held some GTAT during their crash :/

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Trying to hop on the Mario futures has to be one of the gooniest loving ideas I have seen in BFC.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

I can't find it in my chatlogs but I think g0lbez held some GTAT during their crash :/

I thought that was Richard Gamingo

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I thought that was Richard Gamingo

He definitely did too, but I feel like I talked with g0lbez about gtat. I may be misremembering though.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

AgrippaNothing posted:

Trying to hop on the Mario futures has to be one of the gooniest loving ideas I have seen in BFC.

Given that every goon's uncle work at Nintendo there's no way you should invest in it. Think about what goon uncles are like and realise there's no way they should be working at any job.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Taking a penalty on the 401k withdrawal means you need to gain 11-12% just to break even. A play of a few hundred bucks just makes it worse unless there are no fees associated with trading, because your gains have to offset the fees there as well.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Every single person who has ruined themselves financially through investing like this has done so because they are convinced they are taking advantage of a sure thing. There are thousands of investors just like you and no matter how smart you think you are there have been wiser people with better ideas than you who have created a disaster for themselves. There have also been dumber people with worse ideas who have gotten rich. On an individual level it is kind of arbitrary who wins and who loses. Are you prepared to risk your financial future on a roll of the dice?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Devian666 posted:

Given that every goon's uncle work at Nintendo there's no way you should invest in it. Think about what goon uncles are like and realise there's no way they should be working at any job.
From what I hear from our supervisors, every assembler that we've interviewed from Nintendo has solder work that looks like they used a dog turd for an iron.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sharzak posted:

Every single person who has ruined themselves financially through investing like this has done so because they are convinced they are taking advantage of a sure thing. There are thousands of investors just like you and no matter how smart you think you are there have been wiser people with better ideas than you who have created a disaster for themselves. There have also been dumber people with worse ideas who have gotten rich. On an individual level it is kind of arbitrary who wins and who loses. Are you prepared to risk your financial future on a roll of the dice?

I did some research on what happened on the run up to the 1929 stock market crash. The stock market was the sure thing and people were getting rich, on only 10% or 20% equity in their position and everything else on margin. Some much profit and greed when you have that much leverage. A spectacular crash.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
If you want to blow a ton of money on Nintendo, you could always buy a bunch of games. It's still a waste of money but you might at least get some entertainment out of it. Plus the resale value is probably about as good as the stock's.

AgrippaNothing posted:

From what I hear from our supervisors, every assembler that we've interviewed from Nintendo has solder work that looks like they used a dog turd for an iron.

Do Nintendo even manufacture their own hardware? I thought they farmed it all out to Chinese companies.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Evidently they do or did here in the Seattle area. Dont know if it's still the case.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Do what i did to make nintendo money. Preorder the Mojras Mask N3DS for 200 upfront, plan to use the thing then see it's 450 on ebay and sell it there.

In fact just wait for the next special edition n3ds to come out, buy the thing and resell it. There you made nintendo money. I'm also unironically condoning buying nintendo merch and reselling it over buying their actual stock.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Any investment plan that begins by burning ~25% of your initial capital is not a sound investment plan.

Remember your 401k is ALREADY AN INVESTMENT. If you don't like how it's performing, jack up the risk. It'll grow faster than Nintendo by a wide margin and you have decades to watch it grow.

Also never touch your 401k, leave it the hell alone. Putting $5k of Nintendo stock on a credit card is a better idea than emptying your 401k.

Also do not put Nintendo stock on a credit card.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Also do not put Nintendo stock on a credit card.
This is correct, you should be buying it on margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

Cicero posted:

This is correct, you should be buying it on margin.

Options on margin. You can probably get a bunch of 25 calls a year out for 10 cents a piece (just guessing too lazy to look). Then at least if it hits 30 like you plan you stand to make 5000% on your money.

If you are gonna bet all your money on Mario making GBS threads golden nickels you might as well go all in case you are right. You are gonna lose it all anyway

• Locked thread