Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Times are tough, and rocket fuel is expensive; so let's come up with new means of getting junk into space.

I propose a new system called Jettisoning A Capsule Kinetically Over Far Flung Distances (JACKOFFD). This system consists of a skyscraper-sized artificial penis, along with a gaint hand. The hand strokes the cock tower until it contracts; launching it's ejection liquid upwards towards earth's orbit. The liquid can be used to carry supplies or manned capsules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
The simplest solution is always the best one. In this case it's the Space Elevator ! NASA is not even talking about it loving scientists :argh:

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
That's a dumb idea OP

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

ChuckHead posted:

That's a dumb idea OP

Please post your amazing alternative to my idea, if not then :getout: tia

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Why the hell doesn't NASA just outsource food delivery to the ISS and use Papa John's pizza for delivery?

The other idea I have that really torques my wrench is since space is a giant gently caress-all vacuum, why not just use a gigantic vacuum hose to "suck" everything up into orbit?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
giant magnetic railgun that shoots you into orbit, no rocket fuel required to get out of the atmosphere just large amounts of electricity (build dedicated nuclear plants imo).

full disclosure: not a new idea

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
A very, very large brassiere, stretched between two towers.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

nothing. we are stuck on this planet until we nuke ourselves out of sheer hatred of existence.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

giant magnetic railgun that shoots you into orbit, no rocket fuel required to get out of the atmosphere just large amounts of electricity (build dedicated nuclear plants imo).

full disclosure: not a new idea

Magnetism is not science, please go post on your spellcasting forums instead. This thread is for real rock-hard science only!

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

DaveSplitter posted:

Magnetism is not science, please go post on your spellcasting forums instead. This thread is for real rock-hard science only!

Such as for example dropping a rock hard rock onto the other side of this elaborate machine known as a "lever". ROCK HARD SCIENCE! :science:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DaveSplitter posted:

but but I've already built a prototype launch vehicle...

i promise it works you just need lots of faygo

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

nasa nerds wouldn't be obsessing over this poo poo if they worked out more.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
okay I got one for real now:

prayer. with the power of PRAYER jesus ascended to heaven so I'm pretty sure if we get like 100m people all concentrating their prayers we could get a shuttle into space

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
weed turbine powered by weed smoke

Aunt Teefa
Mar 17, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if I was an astronaut I'd sneak a vape pen with a hash oil cartridge up with me

leisure time in the cupola looking at starts while baked sounds great

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

if I was an astronaut I'd sneak an easy bake oven with a muffins mix up with me

leisure time in the cupola looking at starts while baking sounds great

lol what a dweeb

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
an underground tunnel a hundred miles long. low accelerations get you up to speed without discomfort. powerful fans create a vacuum to remove atmospheric resistance. the end of the tunnel goes up a mountain and you are already 4% of the way to space when you ramp off that tall mother fucker.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8BX6v9k9CU

+

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Remember the thread where a whole bunch of goons thought that because they can use SketchUp they can make space stations? They even started an open source space website where anybody could submit their idiotic 3D models. I hope it works out, we can launch from Goon Island and watch from our aircraft carrier.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Decebal posted:

The simplest solution is always the best one. In this case it's the Space Elevator ! NASA is not even talking about it loving scientists :argh:
space elevator has the slight disadvantage of having to be made out of materials 10x as strong as the ones we have or w/e

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

space elevators are science fiction but nerds keep swearing its right around the corner. shut up and rot at the bottom of the gravity well with the rest of us, idiot.s

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

like this but with astronauts

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
magrail gun + scramjet combo meanwhile is being researched somewhat seriously so you never know

if they can get the cost per kilo to lift something into space down from ~$20,000 to a few hundred that would suddenly make a lot of space stuff way more feasible. escaping earth's gravity to get into orbit is basically the hardest part.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i like really self centered people who hate it when the word "space" comes up

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

I'm Crap posted:

space elevator has the slight disadvantage of having to be made out of materials 10x as strong as the ones we have or w/e

graphene :viggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

op more like.. ownedp lmao

• Locked thread