Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
http://www.sci-news.com/physics/science-new-form-square-ice-02637.html

quote:

When water is confined at high pressure between sheets of graphene its molecules adopt a square configuration, says a team of physicists from the University of Science and Technology of China, the University of Manchester, UK, and the University of Ulm, Germany.

Square ice between two graphene sheets as seen in a transmission electron microscope (TEM); high-contrast dark spots are oxygen atoms that indicate positions of water molecules; hydrogen atoms yield too little contrast to be resolved even by the TEM. The top right inset shows a magnified image of a small area in the centre of the ice crystal. Image credit: University of Ulm.

quote:

In our everyday lives we are familiar with water in its more common liquid, ice and vapor forms.

Researchers also study water under more extreme conditions, including at high pressures, where it can exist in the solid state even at room temperature.

Ice crystals form in the beautifully symmetric tetrahedral shapes seen in snowflakes and on the surface of frozen ponds. Such geometries can persist at very high pressures, even if the underlying structure undergoes phase changes both subtle and dramatic with varying pressure. This certainly applies to unconstrained water.

When confined between other materials, however, the behavior of water is influenced by atomic interactions with material surfaces.

In a new study carried out by Dr Gerardo Algara-Siller of the University of Ulm and his colleagues, a graphene monolayer was first deposited on an electron microscope grid, and then exposed to a droplet of water and covered with another layer of graphene.

Much of the water was squeezed out of the graphene sandwich by the van der Waals force. The remainder was trapped in pockets less than a millionth of a meter across.

“We did not know at first what we were seeing, and only in discussion with our Manchester colleagues was the idea of square ice born,” said Prof Ute Kaiser of the University of Ulm, a co-author on the study.

“A detailed structural and elemental analysis then proved this structure to be real.”

The results, reported in the journal Nature, could improve our understanding of water transport through nanometer-scale channels in natural and artificial membranes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firstpost
Mar 27, 2015

by XyloJW
:firstpost:

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
its like the ice in that Kurt Vonnegut novel....

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Who gives a poo poo? What a waste of science resources. Where's my flying car already?

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
umm don't ice cubes already exist?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Typical dumbass "reporters" not even bothering to research everything and even making poo poo up along the way. We've had this poo poo for decades.

Here's robot ice.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Neat but what we can use this to better do...? or this explain some quirk of physics at the atomic level?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cithen posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What a waste of science resources. Where's my flying car already?

they're called airplanes

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Death to Science!!!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I make square ice in a n ice cube tray... idiot nerds.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

BossRighteous posted:

Death to Science!!!

haha i was going to do this. although it looked like it was a jewish guy sucking a black cock to me but close enough

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Ice technology has already progressed.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

yeah ive already been making square ice in my freezer for years. idiot human being scientists

• Locked thread