Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Noise Complaint posted:

Growing up in a Polish-American household I always assumed everyone went batshit over Easter.

We always started the day with black coffee (with brandy) and fresh babka, then a huge brunch with kielbasa, eggs, potatoes and more babka.

The entire morning my grandmother and mother would be cooking a whole ham and some kielbasa (these have to be from that local guy that does things "the right way"), kapusta (saurkraut), several mushroom dishes (with dried mushrooms my grandmother would smuggle into the country), and all sorts of other sides.

This is one of the few holidays I only have to show up and eat instead of cooking. Even after 30 years of watching I can only barely imitate the recipes they have been making by feel for 60+ years. Even entering the kitchen is forbidden unless you want to be chased out by a little old Polish lady wielding a rolling pin.

Seconding this. I've since moved away from my extended family, but man oh man did they kill it every Easter. Fresh unsmoked kielbasa (the food of the gods, seriously if you can ever get your hands on some, try it...so garlicky), farmer's cheese, hardboiled eggs, babka, ham, pierogies (potato/onion and prune). I miss it so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread