Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

After poopsocking for a pile of endgame rifles, it seems like Aigis Horo's gun has the best bullet selection for general use. Am I missing anything amazing about the other bullet types? Do SCT grenades benefit from Mitama Pulse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXYIZJl17bE

Excuse me? Tecmo is going to be the first group to test releasing hunting-action on PC?

Okay then. :stare:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
good thing I sold my copy

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Shame I've already put in close to 100 hours on the Vita version.

It'd be nice if they had cross-save support, but that's probably not going to happen :sigh:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
$59.99?
Heh, sorry. No.

Maybe sometime next year, Tecmo.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

monster hunter on steam? hell yes

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Just picked this up on PS4 having never played a Monster Hunter game in my life.

Not sure what I was expecting, but seems OK. Is it a naturally grindy game or do I have the wrong impression?

Is it predominantly a village you defend by killing oni in the Battlefield outside?

Also, are the online quests the same as the single player quests? They seem the same but it's weird that you complete them twice, one online, once offline.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It is pretty grindy, and mostly about defending your village from onis except when your demon slaying buddies have a crisis about whether or not they can slay enough demons, before you convince them to believe in themselves and slay all the demons. The multiplayer missions are mostly the same, but there are more of them and they include some additional oni types.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So it's out on Steam today. Anyone grab this yet? Thought/impressions?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

So it's out on Steam today. Anyone grab this yet? Thought/impressions?

It's locked at 30FPS
Hopefully Durante will give it the ToukFix treatment

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It's locked at 30FPS
Hopefully Durante will give it the ToukFix treatment

Apparently like, literally everything in the game is framerate-locked, so even if a FPS unlock is possible, even actually quite trivial, it would render the game unplayable because 60 fps would mean it was running at 2x speed, and so forth.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Assuming that the framerate doesn't bother me, how's the actual game?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kiggles posted:

$59.99?
Heh, sorry. No.

Maybe sometime next year, Tecmo.
Seconded, although it's 59,99 Euro for me. Guess that the Japanese PC market has a different pricerange than what I'm used to so I'll hold off until next big steam sale.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Assuming that the framerate doesn't bother me, how's the actual game?

It's an easier Monster Hunter with Japanese flavoring and significantly less grinding (you still need to grind a considerable amount however). Probably not worth 60 bucks unless you've got other people to play with or REALLY love the genre. Or have money to spare, I suppose.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Once it finishes downloading when I get home from work I might post some impressions. You can never have too many hunting action games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's an easier Monster Hunter with Japanese flavoring and significantly less grinding (you still need to grind a considerable amount however). Probably not worth 60 bucks unless you've got other people to play with or REALLY love the genre. Or have money to spare, I suppose.

Yeah, honestly the price is the big sticking point for me right now.

That and my lack of Steam friends too, I suppose.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, honestly the price is the big sticking point for me right now.

That and my lack of Steam friends too, I suppose.

Koei Tecmo games have been going on sale from time to time on Steam. I'd just wait for the Christmas sale and it'll probably get some love.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

is it true the controls on the pc port are terrible if you try to play with a kb/m

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Played a bunch of missions, the punchy fists are fun.
Though I'm kinda worried about later in the game, the town runs like complete garbage on my rig (yet missions themselves run fine). Hopefully the action sequences won't ever drop FPS.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There is a post on steam saying turning on Adaptive Vsync (Half Refresh Rate) and Triple Buffering in nvidia control panel fixes the village problems. If AMD has something similar it may work for those too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

a messed up horse posted:

Koei Tecmo games have been going on sale from time to time on Steam. I'd just wait for the Christmas sale and it'll probably get some love.

Yeah, I will wait for a sale with this. MH4U is still keeping me occupied, but I kind of want to become an 80s shonen protagonist with those punchy-fists.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Okay, bringing down the resolution fixed my performance issues. Game looks like poo poo now but who cares as long as it plays good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been playing an absurd amount of this terrible PC port of an actually pretty good game and I'm really enjoying it, especially the Rifle, but what still gets me is that the people of Utakata are familiar with baseball and football.

What's up with that?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hey how active is this on PS4? I played a ton of monster hunter tri a long time ago but there weren't any other monster hunters on systems I own, so this looks pretty good. But I don't think I would want to do solo only.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The PS4 version is cross-compatible with the Vita version, so there's bound to be someone you can play with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also just chiming in to say that trying to get Shadow Soul and Umbrapod drops is a real kick in the balls, wow.

I take it in the original Toukiden you could just crank out a couple runs of the Soul Sacrifice crossover DLC and get all the golden skulls you needed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Plunder mitama style has an interesting way of countering a problem I'd faced when trying to break parts while using poison weapons in MH. Poison directly affects health totals rather than damaging body parts, this much is obvious. Now, several of the easier-to-get Plunder mitama come with boosts like Swordsmanship, Verity, and the various tiers of Destroyer. The Plunder spell set is also designed to maximize your ability to break body parts, making it something of an all-in attack style without the self-sustainability of the Attack mitama. All of that combines to being able to build up Destroyer attacks many times over the course of a single hunt.

The game's tutorials let you know right off the bat that Destroyer attacks instantly destroy body parts. What they don't tell you is that these attacks also deal a load of status damage, meaning that multiple times I've wound up poisoning a Petros four or five times in a single fight, with almost every application after the first coming from a Destroyer or United Destroyer. And since status rifles come with no natural Precision (I've checked), and all of my crit hits coming from various stacks of Verity on my mitama. Meaning that what I'd been doing was a pretty inefficient way of building for Plunder+status effects, as all of my mitama were built for crits rather than status effects.

Plunder+Rifle also seems to be a fairly common build, since PLN mitama are pure offense but require a lot of part-targeting precision and lacking in self-heal options besides Recovery. Explosive shells and PRC shots also seem to be a great way to paint multiple body parts with Ablutions, and it's easy to hit specific body parts with the eight or nine Destroyers you'll build up in any given fight. Most of which will just be used to keep an oni knocked down because everything will have already been broken.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I didn't see this on Steam and the internet is being a bit ambiguous. Is there really no PC demo for this?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Buried alive posted:

I didn't see this on Steam and the internet is being a bit ambiguous. Is there really no PC demo for this?

Yep. That and the port is jank.

For what it's worth I've put in an absurd amount of time into the game and am absolutely loving it but I've got a gamepad and a high tolerance for dealing with dumb bullshit on PC. I can't really see people picking this up outside of really big sales though and I absolutely wouldn't recommend jumping in head-first at the asking price.

I didn't expect this terrible PC port to so thoroughly displace Monster Hunter for my time but here I am.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Honestly the only thing keeping me from playing the PC version right now is...the lack of people playing. I'm part of my own problem.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's pretty dead on ps4 as well, thankfully the AI is really strong.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snaggwen

Snaggwen unmasked

Snaggwen unleashed

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

http://www.destructoid.com/toukiden-2-coming-to-japan-in-2016-310822.phtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJa11K88Y_Y

Toukiden 2 announced for Japan. It will apparently be an open world game this time.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Some new Tk2 info and screens

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/first-look-toukiden-2

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guess I'll be waiting the long wait for the inevitable terrible PC port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Thread is dead, but the Kiwami port on Steam is on sale for 50% off. I've been keeping an eye on it for that sort of price drop to check out another hunter-like, so if anyone is interested in joining for some online I'll be around the Awful Hunters Discord.

• Locked thread