Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
5k angel romance, so no dying

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Starting count for me was 17,488.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Logged in my toxx diary, which is bound in manflesh/used dental floss.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Luciano...mmmm...reading just the characters' names is getting me hot!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
all of you better be pronouncing that as loo-CHAHN-oh in your heads, cos if not, :italy:

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
My 4000 words will be pretty rough and unpolished but they will be new. At the moment I just have a wordpile of character arcs, introductions and world building. No idea what I am going to do with them yet. Mostly just writing for the sake of writing and I will try to bring it all together into something coherent later.

<1000 words to go.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Project #1 - 4,577 words

Project #2 - 1,001 words

Both very rough, not yet looking for critique on either one, though I suppose I wouldn't freak out if comments happened anyway.

The first thing is completely new. The second thing is based off an old Thunderdome story of mine (or, more specifically, off the very beginning of that story), but it's a substantial expansion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have written the last 2700 words of this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cpoy91CQJ6wrpm8FIC4C7aR2WaZiF-12kRcfxk3V4M4/edit and have around 2300 to go.

I'm heading up North in about 18 hours so I'll post by then. Because of that the Toxx check will occur an unspecified period after deadline, so you may have a little leeway on this one. Best not to count on it tho.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
the worstest story ever told

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
I'm posting a link to my Long Walk google doc in IRC #longwalk. One completed first draft of story, two half-completed drafts of stories, two short first drafts of poem/flash fic pieces.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
DONE, MOTHERFUCKERS. GO BACK TO THAT LINK I POSTED BEFORE I AINT POSTING IT AGAIN.

IT'S 5031 WORDS BUT THAT NON-STORY SPIEL IN THE MIDDLE IS 31 WORDS K I'M OUT.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

2166 + 2080 + 3288 = 7,534, and that's good enough for me. Not that any of them went anywhere, but that wasn't the point. The point was to go on a journey of self discovery, and man did I learn.

Don't crit Wizard Week. Holy hell was that draining.

On the flip side, tonight's quiet, undirected 1K of words were strangely satisfying. I might do this writing thing again sometime.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
Fools March? Not this fool 4010 Words

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jAkYgHXTjY3dnnwUqdksOcyxRGFlYGAscMV52N0wGdA/edit?usp=sharing

No real beginning middle or end anywhere here yet. Just writing some scenarios/scenes for a Scifi idea in my head.

All very rough, some of the scenes are incomplete and unsorted.

I have the propensity to over analyse each sentence as I type it. So this was an attempt to get me out of that habit.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-She-Knows-Celia-Snow-ebook/dp/B00WUYM1BU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1430395747&sr=8-6&keywords=the+devil+she+knows <--- my 10,000 words

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rated 1, no werewolves

(well done)

e: added successful postings to OP, let me know if I missed you.

Seeing as this is the first Long Walk, I'm likely to be away from internet for a coupla days and I don't actually want to have to ban anyone there'll be a little leeway in the line in the sand being drawn; probably 2 May PST, evening sometime (though no promises). Should you desperately want to get banned at 0000 PST 1 May then pm Humboldt Squid and I'm sure he'll oblige.

ee: oh and hey lookit that https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AMszdYLLPYVJ_1bGo7Kv3jNWCNJWCfK9_3Yfn65kGSo/edit?usp=sharing

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 30, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Missed me, systran verified my word count through a google doc share.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
First draft of one and a half rewrites of my TD scifi story
I got distracted by the idea to a detective story so here's the first draft of the intro
(I'll deactivate sharing again once I'm crossed off the list.)

4490+645
=5135 words

Threw in some extra because there's some notes in the middle of the first one and I don't know how much any non-story stuff counts seriously whatever. For my next trick I'll write 5k in a month again, but maybe not across two binge sessions in the last four days thank you for listening.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

Seeing as this is the first Long Walk, I'm likely to be away from internet for a coupla days and I don't actually want to have to ban anyone there'll be a little leeway in the line in the sand being drawn; probably 2 May PST, evening sometime (though no promises). Should you desperately want to get banned at 0000 PST 1 May then pm Humboldt Squid and I'm sure he'll oblige.

Sweet, I might not toxxfail after all, then.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i dont want to upload the docs for indexing purposes. i will take screenshots of literally all of the pages if you dont believe me.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lemme post this now, before I forget:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I wrote a short called ''A Devil Lay Here'' which I just sent to Fantasy & Science Fiction, 2300 words.
My TD entry for Wizard week was 1200 or so.
My TD entry for this week came out to 1500 words.

Link available to anyone who wants it, catch me on IRC.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Finally. Rough as hell, and went on some character development tangents, but I'm done.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

If we're counting TD stuff add 1.3k to that.

AFTER ACTION REPORT FOR MONTH ONE:

Most of what I've done is tried to sketch out the one major scene that each chapter hangs on.

The hardest part for me was getting past the prep work of structuring a much longer work than I'm accustomed to. All sorts of cool flashes of "oh man I can really polish this motif and that subtext and have all these connections" ended up dragging me down, solely because I was putting together a very complex web rather than, you know, jamming words out. Sitting down and opening the text file was the most valuable action to take. Procrastination is an obvious issue, I think many people here would agree. Worldbuilding is easy and fun, but textbuilding is where the action is.

I had to keep on myself that I can always go back and make things more clear, and that getting a rough draft to even work on at a later date was more important.

As an aside, a personal goal I've set for myself is to use Scrivener's tools to make an objective effort to ensure every portion of the story has a clearly defined obstacle. Anyone who's read my TD stuff knows that my conflicts are almost always introspective intangible watery things that have no real power to them. I'm make a conscious effort to slam past that.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

aloha

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

ravenkult posted:

I wrote a short called ''A Devil Lay Here'' which I just sent to Fantasy & Science Fiction, 2300 words.
My TD entry for Wizard week was 1200 or so.
My TD entry for this week came out to 1500 words.

Link available to anyone who wants it, catch me on IRC.

Anyone who submits a story has the option of claiming a gift cert. for a new custom title. PM me if you want.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Started a new novel project:

chapter1:

chapter2:

chapter3:

chapter4 (incomplete):

2817+2542+3042+1686=10,087

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I just copied my work into its own doc for accuracy's sake.

I got thrown off by judging Thunderdome's wizard apocalypse. For May, I'm trying to write 9K (7K of short story, 2K minimum novel words), and my goal is to establish better writing habits by getting up earlier and writing at least an hour before noon every day.

I've been dawdling on this so long, I'm learning the value of just writing past scenes that don't feel quite right. So far, leaving myself comments in google docs where I want to change things is working out okay. At least I'm moving forward instead of tinkering.

Excited for next month :twisted:

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 1, 2015

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sitting Here posted:

establish better writing habits by getting up earlier and writing at least an hour before noon every day.

I did this for several days, and they were my best writing days. I'll see how i can do in may. I have a really really really busy schedule, so i'll probably toxx for the min and hope to overachieve.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Sitting Here posted:

I just copied my work into its own doc for accuracy's sake.

I got thrown off by judging Thunderdome's wizard apocalypse. For May, I'm trying to write 9K (7K of short story, 2K minimum novel words), and my goal is to establish better writing habits by getting up earlier and writing at least an hour before noon every day.

I've been dawdling on this so long, I'm learning the value of just writing past scenes that don't feel quite right. So far, leaving myself comments in google docs where I want to change things is working out okay. At least I'm moving forward instead of tinkering.

Excited for next month :twisted:

I don't know how you people live without writing scenes like

quote:

Michael had to admit to himself that he wasn’t sure. Romantic love was, generally speaking, strictly outside the purview of Heaven and the attendant angels. Love prayers fell on deaf ears. But the way people talked about it certainly made it seem good.
“What about —QUOTE SOME SHAKESPEARE”
“Oh please, what about —QUOTE SOME CONTRADICTORY SHAKESPEARE”
“Okay, what about — QUOTE SOME BYRON. (A “draft” version of a Byron poem that was changed later<—god I hope this exists)
The girl raised an eyebrow. “You prefer the draft version?”
“What?”
“The final lines are XXYYXXYY. You quoted his draft. He changed it.”

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
The next long walk is up!

Do we have a number on toxx fails? Mojo said he'd be willing to be a bit relaxed this month, but I'm curious who hasn't checked in but have no intention of working it out for myself.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm reporting myself as Failed. :smith:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Mods! Ban chthonic bell, the failure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo