Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tell me about it. I dropped $50 on the project...

I don't feel duped or anything, though I do feel disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Just watched Mr Arkadin for the first time, the version available on Hulu, and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The main character was very uneven, but that was ok - the plethora of fascinating and intriguing side characters more than made up for it.

I'm really pacing myself on finishing the Welles filmography, as the thought of having a new Welles film to look forward to is something I don't want to leave me. I have Ambersons, Chimes at Midnight, Filming Othello and The Immortal Story.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What I love about Mr. Arkadin, besides the production history that is absolutely bizarre and convoluted even for an Orson Welles film, is that the atmosphere throughout the film is just weirdly creepy. I just love the weird costume party, the big castle, and the weird noirish snowy look in the beginning and end of the film.

So fun.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Raxivace posted:

What I love about Mr. Arkadin, besides the production history that is absolutely bizarre and convoluted even for an Orson Welles film, is that the atmosphere throughout the film is just weirdly creepy. I just love the weird costume party, the big castle, and the weird noirish snowy look in the beginning and end of the film.

So fun.

I haven't gotten around to this, but I found out about it from the very, very awesome Lives of Harry Lime radio drama that basically did this story first but with Harry Lime. If you love The Third Man (who doesn't), it's well worth a listen. Most of the shows are on the Internet Archive, though the audio quality varies from episode to episode. It's pulpier and Lime is more of a lovable rogue than in the film, but drat if it isn't some of the best Orson Welles radio out there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's actually three separate Lives of Harry Lime episodes that form the basis for the film- "Man of Mystery", which is what Meatwad describes, as well as "Blackmail is a Nasty Word" and "Murder on the Riviera". The movie also loosely contains elements from the actual film version of The Third Man and even Citizen Kane. The mysterious novelized version also has an Othello reference or two, making the whole project a kind of weird summation of Welles' career up until 1955.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 9, 2015

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Netflix might be ponying up money to finish Other Side of the Wind http://www.wellesnet.com/netflix-in-talks-to-complete-distribute-the-other-side-of-the-wind/ . I hope something finally happens with this, I donated to their crowdfunding campaign.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope so. I dropped $50 on the campaign myself and it's been disappointing, to say the least, to not have heard anything at all from them in months.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

It's quite remarkable how this film has been screwed over at pretty much every turn. Once they get Beatrice on board, then Oja starts causing issues. Isn't Peter Bogdanovich pretty much the main source who "knows" how the film should be edited? I picture him dying once Netflix inks an agreement.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

How much remains to be done? I can't ever get a handle on exactly what state the film is in at the moment. And isn't the whole project basically at the mercy of PB as there is nothing in Welles's hand about the final cut? How can anyone gainsay PB's version as there are no other authorities on the editing TOSOTW?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not sure editing even ever actually started this time around to be honest, beyond the fifty or so minutes Welles actually was able to do himself back before he died.

I thought Welles actually left some notes behind on how we wanted the film to be edited too? Is that not right?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I thought it was a PB book/interview with Welles that was the main source for Welles's ideas for the film. But maybe I don't remember correctly. I'm not saying PB is unreliable just that it is a little hard to verify PB's ideas (unless someone has copied/reproduced Welles's notes). TBH I'd rather have PB's version of the film than no version at all. After all, if you like Welles's films you get kind of used to outside influences.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Hell, I watched the weird Don Quixote edit that was pretty much a complete mess. PB's edit of OSOTW can't be that bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Coincidentally the producers on TOSOTW have spoken out today in an email they sent to contributors. Welles.net was also kind enough to share it.

Filip posted:

Dear Contributors,
Since the end of our Indiegogo campaign on July 6, 2015, we have been diligently exploring means of distribution for the film, so that it can be seen in the best and widest way possible. Naturally, our conversations with potential partners have been confidential, making it impossible to provide you with the timely updates you all deserve. We have been very close, at times a week or weeks away, but, through no fault of our own, those weeks turned into months.
I would like to address a few points:

*First and foremost, we are working tirelessly to finish the film.
*The perks you selected will be delivered as promised.
*We have not received any, formal refund requests and fielded only one such inquiry.

The intense attention the film has received and our long silence have fueled rumors and false news stories, which threaten to jeopardize our plans. Even this update, which is admittedly long overdue, and the frustration being voiced by some fans, however justified, will likely create even more unwanted press … but I owed it to you to break our silence.
As our new partners on this 30-year journey to finish Orson’s final film, I know we all have the film’s best interests at heart. We could not have come this far without your support. I greatly appreciate your patience and hope to share our exciting plans as soon as I am able.

Sincerely,
Filip
Source: http://www.wellesnet.com/the-other-side-of-the-wind-producers-break-silence-on-indiegogo/

Not sure how I feel about this email.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to Criterion Forum, there's a special edition Blu of Macbeth coming soon from Olive Films with both the restored and theatrical cuts, commentary by Joseph McBride, and a booklet. The current release is bare bones and only the restored cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

According to Criterion Forum, there's a special edition Blu of Macbeth coming soon from Olive Films with both the restored and theatrical cuts, commentary by Joseph McBride, and a booklet. The current release is bare bones and only the restored cut.
What's the difference between the restored and theatrical cuts?

• Locked thread