Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Wonder how he'll get through this guy. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Baby Steps is such a drat good show. This last episode had me on the edge of my seat for the last couple minutes of that match.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I really loved the animation/cinematography of the last point. It gave a great impression of the massive focus both players were putting into it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The Black Stones posted:

Baby Steps is such a drat good show. This last episode had me on the edge of my seat for the last couple minutes of that match.

I wish the manga was translated quicker. Of course as I say that theres a new chapter out, but its pretty much gotten to the point of 1 chapter a month. Its something like 100 chapters behind.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
After watching a match as crazy as that, it's really fun for me to think back and realize that over the past 10 years sports anime has actually become relatively grounded. Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, they were fun shows but they were not even making a pretense of being set in the same world we occupy.

So when Maruo seems like he's making crazy shots or that guy from Yowapeda is acting like a weird demon or the kid from Haikyu just made a 5 foot vertical leap into the air, remember that not that long ago anime athletes were shooting lasers out of their eyes or turning their arms into spears or, if they wanted to do something realistic, perhaps having a boxing match with a wild bear (and winning).

Also, just in case anyone's thinking "yeah, but that stuff in Prince of Tennis was just metaphorical imagery, Tezuka didn't literally wipe out the dinosaurs with his powerful volley":

I think this guy died.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Did they drop half of their budget into that last point? Because drat, that was cool to watch.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sarrisan posted:

Did they drop half of their budget into that last point? Because drat, that was cool to watch.

Probably, but it was drat cool.

*FOCUS INTENSIFIES*

A drop shot!

*EPIC SPRINT*

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Glasses girl still after Maruo? :wtc:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

PaganGoatPants posted:

Glasses girl still after Maruo? :wtc:

Another thing just like real life.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

XboxPants posted:

So when Maruo seems like he's making crazy shots or that guy from Yowapeda is acting like a weird demon or the kid from Haikyu just made a 5 foot vertical leap into the air, remember that not that long ago anime athletes were shooting lasers out of their eyes or turning their arms into spears or, if they wanted to do something realistic, perhaps having a boxing match with a wild bear (and winning).

Kuroko's is still airing though

*edit* wait poo poo no that ended a few weeks ago

Anyway, my point is Baby Steps is good sports anime like Slam Dunk and not garbage sports anime like the ones where people go Super Saiyan God Sports Saiyan

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 9, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Anyway, my point is Baby Steps is good sports anime like Slam Dunk and not garbage sports anime like the ones where people go Super Saiyan God Sports Saiyan

Hey now, if you didn't get hype for Fuji's various special shots in Prince of Tennis then you don't have a tennis soul. Prince of Tennis was definitely not using metaphoric images after the beginning though, things rapidly escalated to "I hit the ball with my shot so now my opponent always sees 9 tennis balls and doesn't know which is real" shenanigans.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Kuroko's is still airing though

*edit* wait poo poo no that ended a few weeks ago

How can you not enjoy this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHCxpzA-rdM

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was a pretty good episode but holy crap Takagi is a turbo-jerk. gently caress that guy. :argh:

linall
Feb 1, 2007
The fact that the cheaters never win episode is getting more than one episode is kind of disheartening. Is any tennis match going to fit into one episode ever again?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

linall posted:

The fact that the cheaters never win episode is getting more than one episode is kind of disheartening. Is any tennis match going to fit into one episode ever again?

I'd rather them take the time now that the animation is looking the way it is. It's easy to watch.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

linall posted:

I can think of maybe one match that may last an episode, no more, no less. Everything else is probably going to be a five minute or less montage of Maruo kicking rear end or a multi-episode match against a strong opponent.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Thats the issue with all sports shows unfortunately. They are really easy to pad out.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DurosKlav posted:

Thats the issue with all sports shows unfortunately. They are really easy to pad out.

It's not being padded out though? The matches in the manga are even more detailed if anything, they are just trying to do a faithful job of adapting the manga.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
This is about the least padded sports show I have ever seen. Maruo learns something and grows in every episode. I don't know how much of that is from the original manga or because it is on NHK-Educational.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I mean more that you can drag out games to extreme lengths. There was a game in Ace of Diamond that pretty much took longer than an actual MLB game.

If the anime ever gets to the point where the subbed manga is it would probably be like multiple 3-4 episode + games in a row. Like this current match started around 235 and its up to 248 and its only like the first set if I remember.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 19, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Excellent episode.

Cant see him winning the next one though. He might start well then get crushed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've been neglecting you guys, I know. I haven't been watching much anime for a while 'cause I was pretty burnt out on it. I ended up only watching one show this season.

Anyway, to make up for that, let me tell you a little story about the current world #1, Novak Djokovic. But first, remember when Maruo learned about Nabae's tic, where he would throw away a point every time he lost a point in an unexpected way, and that helped him solidify his mindset and get rid of that weakness? Djokovic does that too, but on a rather extreme level.

A few days ago, he was playing Alexandr Dolgopolov in the semi-finals of the Western-Southern Financial Open in Cincinnati. Dolgopolov doesn't have a great ranking (66), but that belies how talented he really is. When the stars align, he can go toe-to-toe with the best of the best. In this match, he took the first set 6-4 and was on par in the second. At this point, it's Djokovic's turn to serve. His first serve is an ace, but he immediately grabs his stomach, grimacing in pain. Over the next few points, he looks equally pained, and signals the umpire to call out the trainer. By the end of the game, he even asks for a doctor, which is blaring-klaxons bad. They talk for a while, and ultimately the doctor gives him a pill, presumably an anti-inflammatory according to the commentators, and Djokovic timidly starts the next game. He wins a point and throws a thumbs-up to his box (term for the section where the coach, family, and other important personnel of a player sit). The second set ultimately goes to a tiebreak, where Djokovic pulls out a clutch victory. He easily takes the third set after Dolgopolov starts having pain in his foot, which cripples his legendary speed.

Djokovic is somewhat infamous for doing that. If he's not doing well in a high-pressure situation, he'll call fake some issue or another and call out a trainer, then proceed to wreck his opponent's poo poo while making it look like a clutch victory. That's partly how he's been so dominant for the last couple years.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I really, really loved episode 22.

That ep has set up the match against Nabae really well. Prior to watching, I didn't think that Maruo stood any chance against him, but with all the work Maruo has done and with him being in top form, and with the story seeming to pause to say that even Nabae isn't perfect, it does feel as if winning is a possibility. That doesn't mean he will win, of course, but it does mean (or at least I assume) that we are going to be shown a really good, fun match. And since Nabae's style feels similar in some ways to Maruo's it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

Maruo and Natsu really are very cute together, and I like the direction the series has chosen to go with each of them being a strong positive influence on the other's tennis. I certainly hope this won't change and they won't end up dragging down each other's tennis in some way.

It does frustrate me that we get to see such a small portion of Natsu's matches. I understand why; we are hardly being shown long matches from anyone unless Maruo is playing against them. But she's such a strong player and a major character, and we didn't ever even get to see a very detailed match between her and Maruo, though I'd rather see Natsu vs Megumi in detail.

It gets harder and harder as time goes on to not just go and binge read the manga, but this is a tennis series. Even though the manga, from what I've seen of it, is excellent, having the tennis shown in action is superior. And the voice acting is good too.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
1/81 Control!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That episode was intense :munch:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A solid end to the second season there; it's always nice when they turn up the quality budget a bunch. I hope they get a third season from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They better. I love this show.

• Locked thread