Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Problem description: Approximately a week ago my Dell XPS L502X stopped being able to connect to the internet. I can connect to a friend's router after updating the Intel Wireless N-1030 card, but I still cannot connect to my home network via ethernet or wireless connection. My router is an XFINITY Technicolor TC8305C. My Network Connections page says I'm connected to my wireless nework, but connected to an Unidentified network via the ethernet cable. The weirdest thing to me is I can connect to Steam and see my friends list as well as speak with them, but not the Steam store or any other features.

Approximately around the time that my PC stopped connecting to the internet my roommate's two other PCs were having the same problem, not being able to connect or really lovely connections. We called ComCast and my roommate spoke with a woman who remotely accessed our router and changed some settings(don't know what exactly she did, sorry) which then fixed my roommate's two PCs, and gave my computer internet enough to load front pages of two websites but nothing more. We have a PS4 connected wireless as well as three newer iPads and one original iPad and all of our phones that are able to connect fine to the network, it seems to just be my PC.

Also when I restored from my previous backup it reverted back to the previous wireless card's driver I believe, so I'll have to re-download it and reinstall it if necessary. When I tried reinstalling it on my own home network I again got enough connection to load the front page of a website, but nothing more.

Attempted fixes: I downloaded the latest driver for the wireless card and transferred it to my computer via USB, where after installing it worked on my friend's home network. I brought it back home, and it loaded only the text for NPR's front page then did not work, giving the same connection information as stated above. I've flushed my DNS, renewed it, released the IP address, powercycled the PC as well as the router, tried restoring to a previous backup of the computer(only from 3 days ago, which was still when I was having internet issues but when I did this I managed to load the front page of Al-Jazeera before the internet stopped), um poo poo what else...turned off my Firewall completely, tried to Windows troubleshoot, I think that's it.

Recent changes: Not that I know of. Now that I think of it I haven't done a Windows Update in awhile. The most recent things I've downloaded were Cities: Skylines from the Steam Network and Popcorn Time from its parent website.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

System specs: Dell XPS L502X. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz, 6.00GB Ram. I can't find the model number on the computer(all I see are the S/N and Service Tags?) and when I google any of them none of them give the correct laptop. I bought it in 2009, Dell XPS L502X. Replaced the optical drive witha 250GB SSD a few months ago as well as reformatted the entire thing and then installed a brand new, barebones copy of Windows 7 Professional that I then had to search for the drivers on my old partition to use.

Here are two photos of my ipconfig /all CMD prompt, sorry for the lovely cellphone quality and angle but I'm on my roommate's laptop and it was the most efficient way to post this... (sorry for the one imgur and one tinypic photos, for some reason imgur wouldn't upload the second)

http://imgur.com/HvSh0ya
http://tinypic.com/r/8y5a4l/8

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Open cmd prompt and type:

netsh int ip reset resettcpip.txt

and reboot the laptop. See if that fixes the issue.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zogo posted:

Open cmd prompt and type:

netsh int ip reset resettcpip.txt

and reboot the laptop. See if that fixes the issue.

Nope. Now my Network Connections window just says "Unidentified Network" for both the Ethernet and the wireless configurations.

Although when I hover over the wireless button in the start menu it says I'm connect to my Network, but when I then open it out still says Unidentified.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try doing a system restore going back a month or two if possible and see if that changes anything.

If that doesn't help (or you're unable to do that) I'd try uninstalling/deleting the network adapters through device manager and then rebooting.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zogo posted:

I'd try doing a system restore going back a month or two if possible and see if that changes anything.

If that doesn't help (or you're unable to do that) I'd try uninstalling/deleting the network adapters through device manager and then rebooting.

Unofortunately my system restore only goes back a few days, not sure why it hasn't been doing it consistently(probably cause I reformatted and still need to change some settings) but I seem to have a stable connection by plugging a previous wireless router I own into my current Comcast modem and using that network, so I guess fixed?

Thank you for the help though, I appreciate it. Hopefully this network-on-network action won't screw anything else up, we'll see...

• Locked thread