Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Jim Porkrind interviews Pastrifarian Wilma Wiggins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Jastiger posted:

Creationist apologist spotted.

? im just saying that there is much more to religion than 'believes in an immaterial-personified diety'.

since its obvious a immaterial-personlified diety doesnt exist and you seem ideologically motivated to assert that religion is falsehood, you can accomplish that by arbitrarily limiting the definition of religious to 'believes in an immaterial personified diety'. im curious why you are motivated to limit the definition of religion only to things that are observably false. do you just not like the word?

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Ocean Book posted:

since its obvious a immaterial-personlified diety doesnt exist and you seem ideologically motivated to assert that religion is falsehood, you can accomplish that by arbitrarily limiting the definition of religious to 'believes in an immaterial personified diety'. im curious why you are motivated to limit the definition of religion only to things that are observably false. do you just not like the word?

Religion is one big game of 'my invisible dad can beat up your invisible dad therefore I make the rules'

When you say 'you don't have a dad' well then that's not obeying the game so religionists get all WHOAH not fair my RULES

Everything else associated with religion is social cooperative mammalian instinct, and preening for mating, sorry about your 'meaning' (I mean your rules)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
"If a religious person believes that one thing is true (literal sky daddy, afterlife, souls, morals, karma, etc) then therefore every other thing a religious person may believe, is also believed by that person because there literally is no difference between any of them."

--- a dumb loving atheist idiot

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

"If a religious person believes that one thing is true (literal sky daddy, afterlife, souls, morals, karma, etc) then therefore every other thing a religious person may believe, is also believed by that person because there literally is no difference between any of them."

--- literally nobody says this

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

? im just saying that there is much more to religion than 'believes in an immaterial-personified diety'.

Because that is what Dunkaroos writes about, and is thus relevant to the thread. If you want to arbitrarily change the definition of religion, fine. But you can't do that and then say "Lol but THIS definition doesn't fix Dunkaroo's book and writing, therefor he is a big dumb idiot".

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Because that is what Dunkaroos writes about, and is thus relevant to the thread. If you want to arbitrarily change the definition of religion, fine. But you can't do that and then say "Lol but THIS definition doesn't fix Dunkaroo's book and writing, therefor he is a big dumb idiot".

dawkins is the one arbitrarily limiting the definition of religion, because he doesnt understand very well the topic he says many words on

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
can we stop serious posting and talk about diddly dookongs tweets again

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

dawkins is the one arbitrarily limiting the definition of religion, because he doesnt understand very well the topic he says many words on

Or, he's writing specifically about the religious definition he uses (its also the one most prevalent in the society he's writing about)

Its like getting mad at a sports writer for only writing about American football in the United States. Of course other sports exist, but he's only talking about the most popular sport in his country.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Or, he's writing specifically about the religious definition he uses (its also the one most prevalent in the society he's writing about)

Its like getting mad at a sports writer for only writing about American football in the United States. Of course other sports exist, but he's only talking about the most popular sport in his country.

well if a writer did this and used the word 'sports' everytime it was more appropriate to use 'american football' i would think he is an idiot, yes.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

well if a writer did this and used the word 'sports' everytime it was more appropriate to use 'american football' i would think he is an idiot, yes.

So I'm glad you agree with him then, thanks :)

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

So I'm glad you agree with him then, thanks :)

trap... sprung??

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

trap... sprung??

Nah not really. I just feel like your anger at Dinkins is more that "Grrr he's not as nuanced as he should be!" which is a fair criticism, but doesn't make him wrong.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Jastiger posted:

Nah not really. I just feel like your anger at Dinkins is more that "Grrr he's not as nuanced as he should be!" which is a fair criticism, but doesn't make him wrong.

just shut the gently caress up already. no one cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

--- akasnowmaaan

• Locked thread