Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Gamers, particularly those into RPGs, tend to carry the stigma of poor body fitness. It's weird, because I've always found that RPGs, especially turn-based, keep me more fit.

The secret is multi-tasking. I recently played my way through Blue Dragon, a turn-based RPG. Almost all the time, I only need one hand to wander around and choose fighting commands. So with the other hand I'm doing curls.

Another secret is to act out the moves. Throwing a hard punch or kick can really get your blood moving, especially when you keep doing it over an hour-or-two long gaming session. You might think you'll look stupid, but hey you're a fat-rear end gamer playing a turn-based RPG... the bar's pretty low.

I also have some sort of routine I do after a boss fight. Usually, it goes, "beat a boss, jog a mile." This not only burns calories, but it also provides a good break from gaming once in a while.

If you have a treadmill or exercise bike at home, you've got the easiest plan: Just make sure you're on it whenever you're RPG'ing. If you're not on it, you're not RPG'ing, be disciplined. My WOW-addicted friend lost 50 pounds in just six months this way.

The reason why all these exercises are best suited for doing during RPGs is that RPGs don't require any twitch reactions, so you can devote physical energy to working out.

Has anyone else designed a workout regime around gaming? Share it here, and add decades to the life of the average gamer.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
What if you could get fit while RPGing... in real life!

It's called Live Action Roleplaying, and it's like taking the most epic video game you've ever played and making it real. It's a great way to make new friends (and lovers, perhaps?) and get in shape. Once you get in the game for real, you'll never settle for cheap digital imitations again.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Adam Bowen posted:

What if you could get fit while RPGing... in real life!

It's called Live Action Roleplaying, and it's like taking the most epic video game you've ever played and making it real. It's a great way to make new friends (and lovers, perhaps?) and get in shape. Once you get in the game for real, you'll never settle for cheap digital imitations again.

Nice. I've never actually LARP'ed. Could you expand on how it encourages fitness, besides the obvious "it involves moving my fat rear end outside"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like the idea of acting out the moves. I think the best though would just be to get a treadmill and walk on it all day while you play video games, then you wouldn't even need to play slow or turn based games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Nice. I've never actually LARP'ed. Could you expand on how it encourages fitness, besides the obvious "it involves moving my fat rear end outside"

Instead of clicking the A button on your Nintendo to swing a sword, you actually swing a sword. You don't have to stand idly by while Aerith dies because you're in control and if you've raised your IRL strength and dexterity enough you can do something about it. It's truly the most epic of workout plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I get on my Barbarian in Diablo 3 and charge around tossing huge boulders, then I go to the gym and toss big boulders IRL. When I go out running I put on some metal music & imagine all the pasty yuppie fools crowding the street in front of the brunch restaurant exploding in a fountain of blood as I charge past.

• Locked thread