Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Previous, better thread archived here

Mario Golf is a good game. You probably know what Mario Golf is, but if you don't here's a brief summary: its golf, with Mario. Its a Club Nintendo Platinum reward this year so lots of people got it for free and are discovering the joys of video game golf for the first time. Also I guess the 2014 tour circuit recently ended and the whole thing has started over, so its a very exciting time for Mario Golfing in general. Here are pictures of Wario and Waluigi:

Post community and tournament codes ITT and I'll put them in the OP probably.

Community Codes:
Battle Royale: 64-8153-5148-3314 - Match play, 9 holes, items off.
Game & Watch: 15-0066-1576-2567 - Match Play, 3 holes, items, wait for turn.

Tournament Codes:
Newbie Classic: 29-3518-0742-2610 - 18 holes strioke play on Forest course, ends 4/13
Buy the DLC: 15-2299-5495-3363 - 6 holes of speed golf on Mario Star (DLC required), ends 4/13
DDR Mario Mix: 63-7029-5585-7394 - 18 holes forest course

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why does Waluigi alternate between being a ballerina and a Jojo?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Waluigi

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Waluigi is what they call "versatile".

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've been playing Mario Golf for a few months very on/off (I basically keep forgetting I have a 3DS), and finally beat the quick play course challenge things. Then, of course, it unlocked a second difficulty level of them

At current rates, I expect to finally finish this game in 2017, not including the one-on-one-putt or any DLC :negative:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just started playing this game yestetday, but I'm not too good yet. How much of a difference does unlocking better equipment make?

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!
The equipment only makes a marginal difference. It's more for customization to make your Mii look nicer and have either a slightly bigger sweet spot or a bit longer drive. There's no real direct upgrades so the difference in equipment is like the difference between characters.

I'd recommend using manual shot since it gives you a bit more control over how you make your shot and also checking out some of the extra tutorials in Toad's Booth for things like hitting onto uneven terrain. The practice grounds in the Castle Club are also really nice for getting the hang of certain shots. One other thing that helped me out was switching to metric units in the options; it's a lot easier to judge wind and putting when all the measurements are standardized rather than spread across three different units with awkward conversions.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

mabels big day posted:

Just started playing this game yestetday, but I'm not too good yet. How much of a difference does unlocking better equipment make?

Really only makes a difference in the Mii tourneys. Either way, I don't really go past a 250yd drive, because the Mii starts hooking really hard and gets really inaccurate. All you really need is around a 225yd drive for the single player club thing. Star Mario was my man back when I played this. High loft and straight as an arrow. Always found it odd that he's on the high power side (280yd drive) when he's usually the balanced one.

Maybe we should start another goon tourney thing so I can get back into this and beat you all into the ground again. :v:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Sign me up for a babby tournament with other people who just got the game this week. I'm down.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I've played 4 Hot Shots Golf games in recent years...although I really haven't beaten any of them because they're sorta grindy in terms of unlocking all the poo poo, I might've beaten Open Tee 2 more or less but I don't have my PSP anymore so I can't check. Due to that and this being developed by the original HSG devs it's sorta odd to play this, mainly I keep loving up topspin/backspin due to it being a button press thing and not a spin control thing. I keep hitting Super Topspin when I wanted Backspin and then the ball rolls all the way across the green, often into a hazard. I've been getting better at not doing that, but it still happens. Also I miss being able to adjust power at the last second, unless that's a feature I'm just missing. Being able to add/subtract another 5% or whatever upon impact was so loving handy.

I'll be sure to take part in those tourneys later, guessing the communities are just goon lobbies with tee times?

Also gently caress rain. gently caress it in this, in HSG, and in real life. Putting on wet greens is so loving annoying.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Brightman posted:

I'll be sure to take part in those tourneys later, guessing the communities are just goon lobbies with tee times?

Also gently caress rain. gently caress it in this, in HSG, and in real life. Putting on wet greens is so loving annoying.
Yeah, communities are just lobbies with predefined rules that you can use to play VS without exchanging friend codes.

And if you don't like wet greens wait until you see the fast greens the cups are played on, they're infuriating.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm new to this game so I decided to put together a tournament on the first course for every other new person to be new at the game too. No special rules or anything, just come join, itll be fun I'm sure.

Code: 63-7029-5585-7394

:)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Where do you even go to put those codes in? I didn't look very hard but it wasn't readily apparent.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

Where do you even go to put those codes in? I didn't look very hard but it wasn't readily apparent.

Check the tournament section under quick play or quick round, whatever the name of the non-castle-club mode on the main menu is

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I like this game. I like this game a lot. I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

I never really liked Miis. For some reason I like them here.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Check the tournament section under quick play or quick round, whatever the name of the non-castle-club mode on the main menu is

Got it. Did a round for the tournament you made. Think I did pretty awful :v:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mario Golf owns.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Fix posted:

I like this game. I like this game a lot. I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

I never really liked Miis. For some reason I like them here.

I kinda wish it still used my name instead of the Miis name. I like playing as Karl Pilkington but I'm not "Karl".

I played in all the goon tourneys the other night. I should probably redo the first one but :effort:. I forget which tournament it was but it was raining on, I think, Hole 17 and based on the ghosts everyone got hosed over by it during putting. Watched like 5 people and myself come up just short of the hole, thanks rain.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I think what I'm really liking is how quick the load times are and how much you can skip during a hole. I can bang out 18 holes in 20 minutes, no problem. I played a shedload of Hot Shots Golf over numerous iterations, and playing this makes that series seem to drag.

That said, I'm still getting used to the difference in speed of the beads on the putting grid. I still can't figure out just how much affect those and the wind have. Love the spin system, though. Really great poo poo.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Reminder for new players, unless you're putting down an incline, always overshoot the little target mark by 2 or 3 marks when putting at closer ranges.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yessss. Gonna join all dem groups.

Played about a billion hours of mario golf on the 64, went to hsg on the PSP for a bit, then back to mario golf 64 on wii VC now to this. There is just nothing like a good mario golf game

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Maybe i should redownload, Mario Golf is a dirty pleasure of mine.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
My wife used her CN gift to get me mario golf. It owns. It owns!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice! Get in on those tournaments!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just unlocked the Shy Guy costume.:stare:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Okay really, which one of you fuckers got -20 for the tournament. :frogout:

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Tatsuta Age posted:

Okay really, which one of you fuckers got -20 for the tournament. :frogout:

Yep! First try too. Apparently, I haven't gotten any worse at this since the last time I played it ~6-7 months ago.
This sorta thing was the norm in the goon tournaments held around then. :allears:

On topic, I could have gotten something like -21 if I hadn't messed up a putt or two. Bullet-Billing your way to an Eagle on the first Par 5 is the start of it, but the rest is Mushroom spam and power shot antics. The Kab-omb (the Bomb-omb like thing that makes your ball come straight down on the target area) is also helpful if your second/third shot is tricky for some reason. Fun fact: it completely ignores wind.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 12, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess I should learn how to use the power ups, because I don't think I used one even

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Yeah I didn't use any items either

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Roluth slaying all competition? How things change, how things stay the same.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

jivjov posted:

Roluth slaying all competition? How things change, how things stay the same.

Well, I guess I needed an excuse to play this again. :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So what's the deal with the DLC? I paid for it and now I gotta unlock it as well?

I was hoping to switch up on some courses, because the mountain championship is some grade A bullshit.

Mario all doing nothing at all on the front nine and then birdies all the way down the back. Every drat time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

So what's the deal with the DLC? I paid for it and now I gotta unlock it as well?

I was hoping to switch up on some courses, because the mountain championship is some grade A bullshit.

Mario all doing nothing at all on the front nine and then birdies all the way down the back. Every drat time.

Once its paid for, you can play it anytime.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does the DLC add new challenges and Castle Club stuff too?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just the six 18-hole courses and 4 characters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're looking for the DLC in the castle club you won't find it, it's only in quick play. All the DLC is on its own tab when you're picking a course.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Challenges yes, castle club no.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

homeless snail posted:

If you're looking for the DLC in the castle club you won't find it, it's only in quick play. All the DLC is on its own tab when you're picking a course.

Ah, see that's what went wrong. There were all those open spots for pipes in castle club and I just assumed they were for the DLC.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

Ah, see that's what went wrong. There were all those open spots for pipes in castle club and I just assumed they were for the DLC.

That is where the unlockable 9 hole Mario themed courses go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I should start playing this.

• Locked thread