Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Man. Cops and Robbers raises so many questions.
  • Why is the title screen full of garbage that obscures the letters?
  • Why are ghosts vulnerable to bullets and dynamite?
    • While we're at it, why is the hotel full of dynamite?
  • Why does the hearse have a siren?
    • Is this an emergency funeral?
    • Does a competent first-responder mortician lower the chance of hauntings?

That airplane game actually looked pretty nice. It's a pity they didn't run the gun sound effect over the drums instead of over the melody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I love how Herobotix creates an eery atmosphere using mostly sound design and partly graphics.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

The following things can gently caress right off:

- Wisdom Teeth
- Me forgetting my password like a bloody moron
- My decodes old ISP email address apparently eating the recovery email

Meanwhile:

Issue 40: The Beginning of the End

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Ouch. Well, welcome back. IO's graphics remind me a whole lot of Cybernoid II's.

As for word processors, if you did have a disk drive and it was 1993 and you were still trying to be productive on a Commodore 64, you almost certainly were using GeoWrite. I think at the time this was my only option for printing stuff with variable-width fonts, or that didn't just look like line-printer dumps.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, as a bit of a darts nerd myself, I never really got into darts video games for that very reason - they're all so bloody boring and samey. "In conclusion: Darts" could probably be the closing line for every review of every darts game ever except maybe the Wii PDC game there was, which might at least be moderately interesting by virtue of motion controls.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Hooray, C64 mystery grabbag is back! 'Wish these videos were a bit longer, though.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wow, what a miserable selection. IO is so hard it feels like a punishment for still owning the C64 in 1994. I nearly typed "instead of an Amiga" but the reminded that in 1994 Amiga's situation was also becoming pretty dire.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Gimbal lock posted:

Wish these videos were a bit longer, though.

laserghost posted:

Wow, what a miserable selection.

Honestly, this is a a weird point caught between between "market still big enough to make it worthwhile enticing readers with good old games" and "market completely gone, we have no money, so we have to resort to interestingly weird homebrew stuff". Issue 41 is a total write-off that I'll skip (two games, both crap, that's it).

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Speaking of:

Issue 42: Prog Rock Album Art: The Game

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Oh, man, Deliverance: Stormlord II. I played the demo of the Macintosh remake of that a ton as a kid (which was simply called Deliverance), as it was one of the better ones on the giant CD of demos I had. And boy, looking at the original they were pretty much nothing alike (they even changed the plot for the remake).

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Issue 43: SKULZ

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Would you list what demos were on the tape that you ordered from that PD place? I wonder which demos were deemed worthy in the mid 90's. Oh, I just remembered that Dutch Breeze begins with the Robocop 3 tune!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiQrUDIah4E

laserghost fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 6, 2016

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Dutch Breeze was the only one I remembered, but after checking my scans and Googling "that C64 demo with the MC Hammer sample" it appears to have been a tape that also contained

Legoland
Brutality
Wonderland VIII (NSFW, feat. special guest star MC Hammer)

While we're at it, Bonus Trump

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Stupid winter stupid colds

Issue 44: The Monsterland Posse

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I wonder if you would sit down with all those programming tips and hack them together, would you end up with something relatively playable, because 20 years ago I'd kill for such programming help. That 8-way scroller looks really nifty.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Speaking of a music feature, those fondly remembering C64 songs might be interested to know that there's a C64 Orchestra that exists and they made a fun album that's entirely on youtube. Check this classic out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMZJgK_6s8

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Back once again like some kind of "renegade master"

Issue 45: PAARLAY VUX1 FRONSAY1?

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Oh man, Repton. I remember someone doing a full (or almost full) LP of all of the Repton games years and years ago. He even made a cool little remix of the Repton theme. I wonder if it got archived?

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.
I don't think I ever played a game of Repton that didn't end like that video.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Issue 46: GOLEMSTENCH

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ahhh, Bonecruncher, one of the more interesting spinoffs of the Boulderdash/Repton formula (Another would be Clogger.) Fun fact about Bonecruncher is that it's technically a top-down world. So the Glooks aren't so much falling in a direction as actively crowding there. A game I wouldn't mind seeing a modern rendition of, tbh, even if the difficulty curve (As I recall it, anyhow) was absolutely silly.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
These are almost over, aren't they? Too bad, they've been very enjoyable.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Issue 47: Let us take a journey through time and space

(you may want to make sure this is at 50FPS HD, otherwise you won't know what I'm on about at one point)

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Issue 48: Yo People!

Apologies for saying "back in the day" 500 drat TIMES

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Issue 49: The Inevitable Egg

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Issue 50: THE END

I may do a wrap up video with the remaining issues, but they're pretty dreck in all honesty. Thanks all.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Congratulations on finishing a long journey.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Thank you. I will miss the updates.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Been a wild ride. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Thanks for doing this, it was really interesting!

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Thanks for a cool thread, dude. I didn't have a C64 growing up so seeing all these games let me get a little taste of what I missed. I eagerly await whatever you plan to do in the future (if you plan on doing anything in the future, anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Really enjoyed this LP.

• Locked thread