Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Alright, not sure if this is appropriate so if it's too difficult for the silly challenge I'll pick something else but in the vein of Milo throwing a loving parade for a white supremacist hate group how about you Show us something your town or city are/should be ashamed of. Could be as simple as a monument to lovely architecture, or as dark as a location that hosted some kind of unspeakable atrocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Do memorials to atrocities that occurred in the city count? Have a few of those around here.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Since it's for the silly challenge, sure. No point making it more difficult.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Since the recent challenges have been about local important buildings, I propose the next super challenge be: Your bike in front of an official government building. Be it local, state, or federal. Bonus points if it includes an official looking you in front of the official building.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Have some potato pictures.

Silly:

The Stockholm school of architecture. The Ivy was originally intended to cover the whole building, but it turned out the ivy didn't like the concrete that was used and never grew very large, so what we're left with is an ugly concrete box. It's lovely inside as well, with poor ventilation and heating. The other side of the building caught fire in 2011 which some say significantly improved its looks.

(The clock tower isn't part of the building, it belongs to a church behind it)

Super:

Technically not government any more, but here's (a part of) the Swedish royal palace. Not an official looking me in front, but an official looking guard at least.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

PhoenixWing posted:

Since the recent challenges have been about local important buildings, I propose the next super challenge be: Your bike in front of an official government building. Be it local, state, or federal. Bonus points if it includes an official looking you in front of the official building.

Come on, if it's gonna be a super challenge make it a REALLY super challenge.

Your bike with a local government official on it.

Bonus if they're actually riding it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh come on, even the Greek government officials who have zrx's can't be photographed on their bikes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Coydog posted:

Oh come on, even the Greek government officials who have zrx's can't be photographed on their bikes.

It would be hard. Very hard.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Coydog posted:

Where's Vouroufrakis when you need him?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm waiting for someone to post a picture of a government building for both categories. I mean "something to be ashamed of" and "government building" are almost the same category.

But for now, here's my entries:

Silly Entry Chiayi 2/28 memorial thing, and Chiayi 2/28 Park

So, 二二八, er er ba, 228, or 2/28 (usually pronounced 'two two eight' rather than 'two twenty-eight'), refers to February 28, 1947, the "228 Incident" or "228 Massacre". Basically, there was a large protest which began in Taipei, due to the sudden take over of Taiwan by the RoC and the RoC's government basically being all Han implants from the mainland, with little to no representation by actual Taiwanese in the government (Japan had controlled Taiwan up until 1945, and Taiwan's future was suppose to be "managed" by the US, with the strong possibility that Taiwan would become independent). The KMT controlled government (led by Chaing Kai-Shek) cracked down on the protests, and cracked down hard. It's estimated between 10,000 and 30,000 people were killed in the backlash, with the fiercest and bloodiest fighting being in Chiayi and Tainan (Taipei's uprising was well organized and less violent than in the south, but that didn't spare them the gun either).

It quickly became forbidden to talk about this incident under Kai-Shek and the KMT's rule, and is considered the beginning of the White Terror (oppression of the Taiwanese from speaking out against the KMT ruled RoC government) and also the impetus for the Taiwanese independence movement (Taiwanese Independence doesn't mean the same thing here as it does in the USA). It wasn't until 1995 that the incident was even recognized by the government. Since then, most of the cities have erected memorials to the incident, and February 28th is a national holiday, "2/28 Peace Day". You can read more on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/228_Incident

(Yes, my motorcycle is in that photo)

It's a big thing, and it's important to know about this if you want to try to understand the social politics of Taiwan. It's why Chiayi is pretty anti-KMT and will probably easily go DPP next year. It's also important to know why, in the end, neither Mao nor Chaing were "good guys" when it comes down to it.

On a different topic, here is what Chiayi should be ashamed of:

That's right, that's the Chiayi baseball stadium. Except, Chiayi doesn't have a baseball team. Not anymore. It use to, but baseball in Taiwan became so bent and corrupt, that something had to be done. After the crackdown, Taiwan was left with 4 baseball teams, and only one or two games played a year at this stadium. It's a shame, because Chiayi is like "baseball city" with shops and streets named after baseball, not to mention a freaking rotating statue of a pitcher in the center town circle!

Now for the Super Challenge

This probably won't win me any votes, because it's a pain trying to take a photo of such a huge government building with my bike visible in the picture. If I stood far enough back, I wouldn't be able to get my motorcycle in the photo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Silly

New York City and its inhabitants have a rich history of screwing people over. Whether or not anyone here is actually ashamed of it, we're not we probably should be. It's tough to pick just one thing so to the extent time permits I'll post more lovely nighttime pictures for you to squint at. But to start with I thought I'd go way back to where it all began.

That's right, Manhattan before it was New Amsterdam.

See, it wasn't just $24 and some beads. Not only did the Dutch screw the Native Americans out of 53rd and 3rd, it turns out they were screwing the entirely wrong group of people.

This view is from Gantry State Park in Long Island City, Queens and if you're ever in NYC it's one of the best places to get a view of the city (Liberty State Park in New Jersey and Brooklyn Bridge Park are my two other favorites). You can see the Empire State Building, my favorite, the Chrysler Building and (not in these pictures), the new World Trade Center.

Anyway, all of this is possible because, long ago the Dutch paid a bunch of guys who didn't live there $24 and some beads for the entire island of Manhattan. Even though it didn't belong to them. That's like if a bunch of hipsters from Brooklyn sold you Harlem. hosed up. We should probably be ashamed of that, but we're not.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Anyone else going to submit pictures? Or are we going to go for a third week again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Activity always seems to die down heading into winter. Not that I can use that excuse since I live in the southern hemisphere.

So here's a silly entry, if the lack of motor disqualifies me, gently caress it.

This is the All Saints College, one of the four private primary/secondary schools in Bathurst and the latest to have a former employee jailed for sexually abusing schoolchildren under their care. Apparently back in the 80's our educators were all perverts since it was revealed in an earlier case that senior administration were made aware of some of these events and worked to cover it up.

• Locked thread