Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

((Delays suck, but here we go! I also started a better world map this morning when I returned from work for once the dungeon is complete. I also tossed a post in the OOC thread if everyone could give feedback, that would be great!))

The entire exchange happened before the demon's eyes as it remained motionless, save for the quick jerks of its head and the occasional opening of it's beak. Facial features on the creature would be extremely difficult to judge but considering what had just played out, anyone in that room could at least see that the demon had relaxed physically as the once standing tall posture was more slouched. Studying the mass of rabble in front of it for a moment before speaking, the demon silently put its blade away and then offers the group a small bow with wings stretched out to the side.

"It is difficult to accept your arcane strengths at face value, given how pure and unblemished you look for a man of such great talents. Before his passing my master would only be known by his name alone, as his body was disfigured and ruined by the constant torments of his craft."

Backing up several paces the demon continued to speak as behind it the spider's carcass let out a loud pop as the carapace snapped open from the heat expanding the fluids in the beast. Slowly large insects such as centipedes and beetles fell from the feathers of the demon and started to crawl to the newly opened corpse, looking for a meal.

"My master is long deceased and my debt is repaid to him. He has no sway over my decisions any longer and I feel that the risks are to dire to test your mettle. The other guardians here are less reasonable and I warn you good sirs that continued pillaging may resort in a unexpected loss of life."

More insects left the body of the demon as slowly the feathers lost the moving aspect they once carried about them. Slowly the soft sounds of flesh being chewed overtook the slight pops and crackles of the remaining motes of flame that rested in various places on the floor from the fire assault. Paying the vermin no heed the demon gave one more bow and continued to speak as its voice took on a tone that was deep, but mortal.

"Before I leave, I can answer a few questions in order to further make amends for my attempted assault. Being cast in ever-burning hell fire is a fate I have done well to avoid. If your power is as great as these... serfs would lead me to believe, it is best we leave on good standings. Don't you agree?"

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

"You have made a wise decision, spirit. I mastered the Arts of Concealment to hide my arcane marks long ago. Your former master was obviously not skilled enough to do so. Now do you doubt my power?"

"His power's so great, even his magic can't hide *all* the ugly! Would you believe he won Knotwood's Most Beautiful Baby Contest?-"

"SPIDER CURSE!"

"Aagh! Spiders - still covered in much spiders!!!" He continues rolling around.

Santorum, still casting as magnanimous air, turns back towards the bird-demon. "But my power is exceeded only by my wisdom, and, as such, I consider information to be a fair trade for my mercy. Answer our questions, and you may leave unharmed."

"Who built this place?"

"What was its purpose?"

"What other dangers can we expect to face here?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
((Just chiming in to say, as both my characters are intentionally and unintentionally backing Santorum's curse bit, they think it best to let this play out.)

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Silently the demon judged the poor defenseless man who crawled on the dirt and ash covered floor while stepping back a bit more. Its body tensed up once again and a hand gently rested on the handle of the saber on its side. Truly it looked uncomfortable, and was ready to leave.

"The creator of this place was a long ago deceased sorceress that was known as Mycale, the Witch of the Lunar Circle. Her studies were focused on how to harness the power of the glowing moon at night to better her magics. She once pulled the moon from the sky during one of her more dangerous incantations, it was quite the sight!"

Rough chuckling came from the demon as it relaxed once more and allowed the clawed hands to rest at its sides as it continued to talk. Behind it the spider's body was slowly vanishing under a moving carpet of vermin, now joined by the squeaks of rats.

"Here she was able to work with no interruption from wary townsfolk that used to live in the mountains. After escaping her own execution after a flawed summoning ritual on behalf of her husband sent many villagers to their deaths, herself and her husband formed this place to continue their research. There is no entrance on the outside, which leaves me to believe you dug into this place."

Both hands raised into the air parallel to one another as a small wooden stick appeared in a small flash of light in its palms. With grace and precision only a master could understand the demon started to draw in the air before them, as the tip of the stick glowed a deep crimson and left a trail of white, burning light behind.

"This place was protected by her two most trusted and bound guardians, and then her husband's ever lasting body. Myself and the Baphomet only come forth to carry our duty out when there is a threat to her legacy. The Baphomet was in charge of guarding the sector of knowledge, while I watched over the sarcophagus that you see behind me. Her husband's spirit left many weeks ago and has yet to return, claiming that it was time for his work to begin a new. He wishes to bring forth another guardian to aid in protecting this place, known simply as Gomory. No other intentional dangers persist now that the arachnid has been slain and returned to the soil."

With a final wave of the stick the light drifted into a mass of lines and light as it slowly vaporized silently.

"Is this acceptable? May I leave?"

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 28, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
((I'm going to hold off on posting for now to let the others chime in if they have other questions to ask. After that I'd say we can dismiss the demon))

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

((Fair enough, don't forget to check the OOC thread and drop some feedback if you get time. :) ))

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Santorum, satisfied with the demon's answers (and not wanting to push his luck), nods an affirmative. "You may depart, spirit."

((Once the demon leaves, Santorum is going to examine the contents of the book))

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

((Yeah I wasn't really planning to ask the guy anything))

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

A small bow was given the group as the demon stretched it's wings out for a moment, as slowly his lower body started to dissolve into salt which piled onto the floor beneath it. The book's cover started to glow a bright red as the demon slowly vanished as dissonant whispers filled the air of languages outside of the mortal realm of understanding.

Once the demon had left, the vermin started to crawl into the shadows of the room, leaving a hard carapace behind on the sarcophagus as a reminder of what once stalked the room from above.

The ambiance of dripping water and the soft howling of wind from behind them filled the room once more as the prescience of the demon faded.

-Examining the Book-

The glow subsided after the encounter ended, and peeling back the heavy leather face reveals that the first several pages are written in common, to be more specific ye olde common. The beautiful cursive is bled into the paper with red ink, which may or may not be the blood of an animal. Further inspection rings true that this is a spellbook, complete with several spells for later use. otherwise, the pages are empty and waiting for further input.

(Go ahead and nab the 4 spells you would get at level 1 as a Wizard. The rules indicate this is from 'years of study' but I find that a bit humorous since Santorum is a poo poo farmer by trade. Plus magic in DCC is a literal crap shoot so :getin: While you can't use them yet, it at least gets Wizard gear out of the way.)

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 30, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Santorum acquires Color Spray Random spell roll: 1d30 6
Santorum acquires Sleep Random spell roll: 1d30 23
Santorum acquires Cantrip Random spell roll: 1d30 2
Santorum acquires Comprehend Languages Random spell roll: 1d30 7

Santorum gets a headache from just glancing at the spellbook's pages, so far beyond his understanding they are at this time. But he promises that, one day, he will unlock its secrets and master the occult. For now, content that the demon has left their sight, he exhales.

"... Ok, it's gone now. We can all relax... I think?"

"About drat time! My threads were gettin' all scuffed from rollin' around on this dirty-rear end floor - Shay's too! The way he was carryin' on, you'd really think he was that scared of spiders!

"I'm fairly certain he *is* that scared.", Santorum replies, looking at the shaking emotional wreck of the rogue.

"What? Oh... my bad." Baritone says a bit sheepishly. He walks over to the spider carapace and kicks it. "Well, y'all ain't gotta worry about nothin' - you burned that bug up good! Now... let's open that sarcophagus!"

"We only escaped that demon's notice through blind luck, and now you want to tempt fate again by defiling the resting place of an ancient wizard?!?"

"Too risky - let's just look down that passage we haven't seen yet."

"But danger can be *fun*, an' I still feel lucky. Fine, let's say we don't open it; but there's still no harm in pokin' on it to make sure there ain't any traps, hmm?"

Baritone starts searching the outer sarcophagus, prodding it here and there with a 10'ft pole to search for any traps

Searching for traps on the sarcophagus (untrained + Int mod): 1d10-1 6

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 31, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

"I think the big issue with opening it was the demon, and that's taken care of. Let me see if I can speed this up, there's more exploring to be done!" Caman walked up to the sarcophagus and attempted to simply knock the top piece off with a solid kick.

Sarcophagus opening technique (trained, str) 1d20+2 10

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Upon the demon disappearing, Bimili got up and dusted himself off. "Well, that was an undignified demeanor to take, but it was that or death, I suppose." Satisfied with his self-cleaning, he turned to Shay. Seeing him still a shivering pile of weakling, Bimli grew a smirk. "Your fear was invaluable in all this, but...," Bimli pulled out his hammer, "...it has served it's purpose."

Lining up his swing with the sniveling Thief's head, Bimili got ready to give the thief a good whack in the head. "Oh, I'm going to enjoy this."

Bimli lifted his arm to swing...

quote:

Once the demon had left, the vermin started to crawl into the shadows of the room, leaving a hard carapace behind on the sarcophagus as a reminder of what once stalked the room from above.

Shay lept forward onto his thief with arms outstretched. "Woo boy, it's finally fuckin' dead!"

...and fell forward onto his face as his hammer struck the air.

Shay began doing a little dance in place. "Finally, oh, finally, that thing is loving gone. No more eight eyes. No more eight legs. No more arachnid gigantus!"

As Bimli face felt the cold stone of the floor, he muttered "Yes, how wonderful." With a huff and puff, Bimli worked his way back to his feet. "Safe to say you aren't going to be a whimpering child anytime soon?"

"We're in a dungeon. These things are filled to the brim with creatures that wish our end. I make no promises."

"...Simply marvelous."

"Looks like shoftstuff and baby face are working on the tomb. Probably should get on that. Ancient tombs are known for being built by history's biggest pricks."

"Yes, notorious for their traps and other such guards."

"I'm more referring to mummies. And zombies. Those fuckers eat brains."

"Yes, what a real and present threat they are..."

"Shortstuff looks on trap duty, want to get our weapons drawn and flank the tomb? You know, mummies?"

Bimili let out a big sigh before complying, "I suppose that makes about as much sense as demon birds turning to salt."

"What the gently caress are you talking about?"

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Knocking the bits that reminder of the arachnid aside, the sarcophagus's heavy lid was slowly pressed aside by the group, as the initial investigation of the structure revealed no apparent traps or signs of possible reprisal for opening the heavy lid. The grantie top was extremely heavy and solid, but with a good deal of effort and sweat it was slid aside enough to reveal what laid within.

Resting on its back, a skeleton stared up at the group as all around it the walls and slab beneath it was padded with white fabric. In the hands of the skeleton is a foot long iron rod, tipped with an amethyst crescent moon which gives off a very slight shimmer of light. To the left and right of the skeleton along the flanks is two small black pouches, one tipped over revealing the contents to be gold and silver pieces. Above the skull along the side of the interior of the sarcophagus, is a fabric pouch in the padding which three scrolls are tightly rolled and sealed with a copious amount of red wax all along the edge of the parchment.

(The total count for loot is:

20 gold, 35 silver, 1 Iron Rod with an Crescent Tip (Amethyst), 3 Scrolls)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"JACKPOT, BABY! Leeme at that phat loot!"

Baritone greedily stuffs the coin into his pouch. He passes the rod and the scrolls to Santorum, who attempts to make heads or tails of what sort of magic they might contain.

((Santorum is going to try to determine what spells the scrolls contain, as well as look for what sort of command word (if any) is written on the rod. I'm without Internet at my new apt. for the next week and my posts will be made via phone, so they may be a bit sparse))

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

(Update coming on Monday!)

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

((Okay okay maybe Wednesday! Been pretty busy this past week or so :( ))

Upon closer inspection one can make out various runes etched into the rod's surface that are so small they almost pass as an ornate grip. It's weight is easily over 5 pounds, with most of the weight being the solid chunk of amethyst that rests on the tip. Otherwise there seems to be nothing else spectacular about the wand besides the glowing crescent jewel.

Each scroll is marked in the wax with a name of the spell it contains: Two scrolls of Magic Missile, and a scroll of Magic Shield.

Once all of the contents are removed from the container, all individuals in the room can feel a heavy weight descend briefly on their shoulders as the air starts to lose temperature slowly. The moist dungeon walls around them seem to give off a very thin fog which starts to creep into the center of the room at knee level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"Uh oh. Looks like we have more to contend with."

Baritone readies his darts. "There's some spooky poo poo happening! Do something!"

"Uh... I AM a Great and Poweful WIZARD-".

"Aw SHUDDUP!!!! That ain't gonna work a second time, dumbass! Guess we just gotta do this the hard way..."

At a loss for words, Santorum shrugs and readies his sword, hoping (likely in vain) that the danger will pass.

• Locked thread