Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

please tell me how videogames approach my favourite subject, holes

There was a long, spergy post about holes here, but it's gone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

theres a really cool hole in the middle of the town in dark souls 2. then u realize u have to go down there and its really creepy

def fav moment of that game. its art actually

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Drakengard 3 has a character whose purpose in life is to gently caress every hole he comes across to achieve true joy. This dude is an old man and you'd expect him to just be a creepy old fart but he seems to be a decent guy who treats potential partners as people and not just fleshlights and he's so committed to loving holes that as soon as he finds out about black holes, as in the ones in space that suck up everything, he makes it a goal to go gently caress it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lord Windy posted:

Actually I can't get over his meltdown situation. Of course people are going to get frustrated with them, do you think because you have 'I am an autistic person' you get a free pass on having a tantrum?

Well that does sound like something an autistic person would think.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Well that does sound like something an autistic person would think.

It's awfully hard to read and type out a response when I have a hard time making eye-contact with the computer monitor.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bump

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

WIll you jump down?

Yes. / No.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ONCE YOU BEAT THE BIG BADASSES AND CLEAN OUT THE MOON BASE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN, AREN'T YOU? AREN'T YOU? WHERE'S YOUR FAT REWARD AND TICKET HOME? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO END THIS WAY!

IT STINKS LIKE ROTTEN MEAT, BUT LOOKS LIKE THE LOST DEIMOS BASE. LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE STUCK ON THE SHORES OF HELL. THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH.

TO CONTINUE THE DOOM EXPERIENCE, PLAY THE SHORES OF HELL AND ITS AMAZING SEQUEL, INFERNO!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Awesome Welles posted:

ONCE YOU BEAT THE BIG BADASSES AND CLEAN OUT THE MOON BASE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN, AREN'T YOU? AREN'T YOU? WHERE'S YOUR FAT REWARD AND TICKET HOME? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO END THIS WAY!

IT STINKS LIKE ROTTEN MEAT, BUT LOOKS LIKE THE LOST DEIMOS BASE. LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE STUCK ON THE SHORES OF HELL. THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH.

TO CONTINUE THE DOOM EXPERIENCE, PLAY THE SHORES OF HELL AND ITS AMAZING SEQUEL, INFERNO!

say what you want but i saw this when i was like 6 years old and it stuck with me longer than any dumbass storygame ever did.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I hope new Doom will be as good as new Wolfenstein. New Order is really good.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 11, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hendrix isn't as good as the mildly autistic woman in New Order, though. He does get BJ high as gently caress, though, which is fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I appear to be the only person on earth who thought the Wyatt timeline was better.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Both timelines were good, mainly because The New Order was so well written.

Games with really good non-silent protagonists usually make the character work by having the character's motivations line up with the player's motivations.

The New Order was made by some of the guys who used to be in Starbreeze which shows as their two other main games also had really cool stories that you could get invested in.

The Darkness in particular was :smith: as gently caress, but you can tell they actually gave two fucks about making the story and the gameplay mesh well. They also managed to make a Riddick game which was better written than most other games, Bioshock included, so that's quite a feat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Darkness is rad. One day I should replay it because I ran into a gamebreaking bug right before endgame. I do know that it has a really good conclusive ending.

Pirate Jet posted:

I appear to be the only person on earth who thought the Wyatt timeline was better.
Both have their strengths, I'm more partial to Fergus though because having two worn down middle-aged men fighting to salvage whatever they can decades after losing the war felt more thematically appropriate. Also Mecha-Wyatt fits better I think because it feels more like BJ failed him.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 11, 2015

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bump

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
The Darkness was good but is The Darkness 2 any good?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I really liked it, but I'm sad there will never be a third one now, it was clearly builiding up to a climactic third game :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Darkness 2 was really good...except for the final boss fight. But really fun.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think the best bit of video game writing is the No Russian level in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Usually good gameplay and storytelling are mutually exclusive, but this level begins like an interactive cutscene where you can also headshot civilians like its nothing. Its the best of both worlds in my opinion :)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bump.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bump

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Everyone wants to find "The Citizen Kane of Video Games," but what about "The Caddyshack 2 of Video Games?"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I guess so. The problem was it decided to plunge headlong into the pitfall Starbreeze decided to avoid which is basing it on the actual comics. The comics have some dumb poo poo.

Starbreeze took the core idea and made it into a gritty, believable revenge story that happens to involve the manifestation of evil that is living inside you. All the dumb poo poo with angels and such they decided to remove so you just have the Lovecraft style Ancient Malevolent Being voiced by Mike Patton.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Oh no who will bump the thread now :ohdear:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SirPhoebos posted:

Everyone wants to find "The Citizen Kane of Video Games," but what about "The Caddyshack 2 of Video Games?"

One of the original Leisure Suit Larry games?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

Oh no who will bump the thread now :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
is this the right thread for this pic

• Locked thread