Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Problem description: After restoring my system to a few days ago, I now have no audio coming out of my speakers or my headphones. When I check Playback devices, Digital Audio is enabled as the default and I'm unable to change it to my Speakers. When I check the Device Manager, it says that my speakers are working fine, but clicking "Set default" doesn't do anything.

edit: In fact, I can't change ANY of the settings for my playback or my recording devices.

Attempted fixes: I've tried plugging my speakers into other audio jacks, checked for driver updates, and enabled / disabled drivers before and after restarting my PC.

Recent changes: I performed a system restore earlier to attempt to fix an unrelated issue.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro, 32-bit OS, x64-based processor

System specs: My PC is second-hand and certain things like the model number aren't showing up in System (and I don't know much about computers), so I'll provide what I can.

Manufacturer: ACER
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 4GB (3GB usable)
Sound card: High Definition Audio Device (and also 5 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Devices, :confused:)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Nevermind, I undid the System Restore and it's working again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I would recommend doing a fresh load of Windows 8.1 64-bit, both for the significant performance improvement and the better security and reliability. Do verify your harddrive isn't failing with Crystal Disk Info (Portable Edition ZIP doesn't have anime or ads), if it shows Caution or Bad for anything other than temperature your drive is toast and needs to be replaced.

• Locked thread