Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I don't think we can take to an offensive right now, not knowing where the enemy concentrations are. Defend for now, recon the Reds and get you rear sorted out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Attack! Attack! ATTACK

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Of course you'd say that, you damned Bolshevik infiltrator!

Defensive posture

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
If the Czechs are going to desert soon then suicide them into something, but everyone else defensive.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

If the Czechs are going to desert soon then suicide them into something, but everyone else defensive.
Agreed on the Czechoslovaks, but staying on the defense and building up our armies under the cover of General Winter seems prudent.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I don't care what happens so long as you get the tsar's money train.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

defensive

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

dublish posted:

I don't care what happens so long as you get the tsar's money train.

We're too late to get the Tsar's gold train unfortunately :(.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A White Guy posted:

This is a grave offense!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Defend our stuff!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

Well, sounds like we need to go after it then. And to go after it we must attack!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Alright, since the thread voted Defensive, we're gonna stay on the defensive, at least in the Ural.

The Czech legion is ordered to make a very aggressive offensive Bugulma (on the rail line toward Samara). The remants of the Komuch army is ordered to take over their trenches in Ufa.

I rush troops north to Ekaterinburg. I think the Reds will attack here very quickly.

In the South, Dutov and his Orenburg Army are ordered to march west. Because some rear end in a top hat didn't build a rail line between Uralsk and Orenburg, I have to march. Its raining in Russia right now, meaning that reinforcements probably won't reach that town for several turns.

The 4-1-1 Markov and his 300 pwr are ordered to mark to Ust-Kamengorsk. This move will take them more than a turn.

In Turkmenistan, The Emirs of Bukhara and Khiva in addition to Turkmen Tribes and British expeditionary forces are ordered to congregate at Bukhara.

These paltry British ships are all that is left of the initially glorious Volga navy. Provided we clean things up here, we might be able to perform a cheeky operation against Astrakhan later on.

All along the Tran-Siberian rail line, various troops concentrations start their long journey West. They won't be relevant for several turns. For now, we just need to rescue our troops at Uralsk and hold the line in Ekaterinburg.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Going on the defensive was a good idea. My suspicions about an immediate Red attack turn out to be 100% correct:

The 4-2-2 Ivanov-Rinov, commanding the Ural Army reinforced with the 3rd Siberian Corp under the 4-1-2 Khanzhin hold the line against a spirited Red attack.

The Reds, unable to move into the province because of the spirited resistance, occupy the mountain province above the city. Our own troops are somewhat depleted from the defense, so for now, we wait. Reinforcements in the form of the troops from Southwestern Siberia will arrive next turn, in addition to the airfield from Omsk.

Speaking of Omsk, the major news happens this turn:

The Great War comes to an end, and all the events that follow occur. None of these actually affect us except for this one:

The Italian developers of this game didn't do so hot with the English bits if that isn't obviously clear by now. His name is Alexander Kolchak.

Kolchak says 'gently caress that democracy poo poo' and becomes the dictator that Russia deserves, not the one it needs. In our last game, Denikin was the 4 star-general (aka the supreme commander) in command of the Southern Whites, and he had a variety of good traits. Surely ours ain't that bad right?:

The 4-0-2 Kolchak shows up as a locked general in Omsk itself. He's otherwise an unremarkable man aside from his traits:

:downs:

:saddowns:

He sucks on the offense, but that's no problem because he's locked and can't be moved from Omsk.

:gonk:

This ability suuuuucks. Every Siberian White unit uses 10% more supplies because of Kolchak.

So that's our supreme commander. God help us all.:

The Czech offensive continues toward Simbirsk. Hopefully we can get over the river before the Reds interfere.

The Orenburg Army and its subordinate corp begin their defensive operation by coming to within striking distance of Uralsk. The game plan is to force the Reds either back on Saratov or to force a decisive engagement that will allow us freedom to strike at Samara. I should mention that the smaller Red force is led by no less than Tukhachevsky(the father of Soviet battle strategy for a good chunk of the 20th century) himself.

Allied Turkmen tribes, our own meager forces, and British expeditionary forces congregate at Bukhara under the command the 4-1-2 Malleson. I order him to make an immediate assault on Samarkand - it seems we're going to have more problems with Greens in this theater than Reds.

The 4-1-1 Matkovsky will strike at Ust-Kamenogorsk here in the next turn, putting an end to silly nationalists and their silly ideas about independence.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 28, 2015

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A White Guy posted:

I should mention that the smaller Red force is led by no less than Tuchavesky(the father of Soviet battle strategy for a good chunk of the 20th century) himself.
Good stuff so far, I like the LP, but I should mention, that the man's is Tukhachevsky, and not only was he a prominent leader of the Soviet Army, but also one of the highest profile victims of Stalin's purges.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what's trotsky like in this game? i imagine he's the guy who's supreme military commander for the reds

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

what's trotsky like in this game? i imagine he's the guy who's supreme military commander for the reds

The supreme MC is Lenin for the Reds. He's locked and doesn't provide any abilities that hinder or improve the Reds. I'll show Trotsky off when we get to him (which we will - Trotsky starts off on the Eastern front), but he is a very good general to have and his abilities to defend make an invaluable asset to the Reds.

The Greco-French Intervention fires (Events are chanced based to a degree), meaning an enromous 76,000 strong army lands in Odessa. Despite the Southern Whites apparent increase in strength, this force has issues - frequent inactivations of generals, random mutiny events, which cause the force to lock for a turn, and is generally slow. Provided the Anarchists don't prove too much for them, they'll be a strong part of the Southern White Armies for a little while.

In the center, The Czech Legions offensive toward Simbirsk meets the determind resistance of the Reds at Aksubaevo - while it looks like a defeat, I'd actually call it a narrow victory- the combat results showed that one of the Armored Trains basically tanked for us, allowing us to inflict severe causalities for the cost of on Armored train.

As the Czech Legion continues west, it once more falls upon the Red army, this time in a pitched battle. This time, the two forces exhaust themselves before decisively shoving the other back.

The last turn has left both armies depleted, but in the same province. The Komuch forces based at Ufa might be able to help and continue the offensive, but its commander, the 4-1-1 Liupov is inactive this turn, meaning he can't attack, fights with combat penalties if caught on the defensive, and is slow.

This clearly won't do.

In the south, both the Red army and Tukhachevsky fall back on Saratov at the approach of the White armies. This is what I wanted them to do - now we can make an attack at Samara.

In the north, the situation remains static. Vatzetis (the Red general) continues sitting in the heights over the city. Right now, the 4-2-2 Ivanov-Rinov is inactive, but Pepeliaev ,his 2-0-1 subordinate, is. Hrrrrm.

In Eastern Kazakhstan, the 4-1-1 Matkovsky easily wipes out the Green Alasha Orda cavalry. With this minor threat dealt with, I start construction of a Miltia unit in the town and order Matkovsky to begin the long march north to Omsk.

In southern Turkmenistan, our motley crew of troops capture Samarkand without a fight, as the Green Turkmen tribes evacuate to the plains between Tashkent and Samarkand.

Moves:

I combine Liupov's army with subordinate, the 4-2-2 Khanzhin, and order him to make a probing attack on the Red army. Semenov's corp will be arriving in Omsk this turn, and depending upon the power of the Reds entrenched in front of us, I may be able to push them back to the Volga.

I also have the active Pepeliaev redeploy south

...to Ufa, where his additional CPs allow me to put the much, much more capable 5-4-4 (with awesome abilities) V.O. Kappel in command of the Komuch army. I order him to move west by rail in a hurry. If I take Simbirsk, I don't think I'll be able to hold it, but it may be possible to wipe out a Red army here.

In the south, I order Dutov and his subordinate corp to proceed north to within striking distance of Samara.Taking Samara will allow us to hook up the two parts of our country and allow me to shuttle reinforcements back and forth from Turkmenistan.

In Turkmenistan, Malleson is ordered to move within one turns distance of Tashkent, to hopefully deal with the Green Turkmen tribes in front of him. Behind him, our own allied tribesmen will occupy Samara as garrison.

Finally, I order a new general and raise some money.

Strat map:

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 1, 2015

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Are the sizes of the squares on the strategic map proportional to the power of the stack? Because it looks like a real big bunch of Reds out there on the Urals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Are the sizes of the squares on the strategic map proportional to the power of the stack? Because it looks like a real big bunch of Reds out there on the Urals.

I think they're proportional to the size of the stack, but not its pwr. Red armies are usually larger than White armies because the Reds can recruit whole divisions of conscripts while Whites can only recruit whole brigades.

• Locked thread