Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

concerned mom posted:

Mmm good point. Also how to build their own PC 101 and should be able to clearly demonstrate their understanding of evolution

Ochem isnt hard dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Thank God we don't have gen ed here. That's what high school is for.

I did a history minor because of "enrichment"(fun and hilarously easy credits) while my mech eng major is where you know I actually want to work.

Now college is at least affordable here so no reason not to pick something you just truly enjoy even if there isn't much money in it. But I would never take on American level debt for it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Khorne posted:

I took history of rock and roll because they said I couldn't take more history courses. It counted as a music course.

Class was pretty awesome. I enjoyed learning about the history of music in america from WESTERN INCEPTION to the 1960s or so. It also had a heavy focus on how the industry has been dickheads to the artists since day one, and it went through the various legislation passed in the interest of the companies. Even radio stuff was covered. Then I stopped going because gently caress learning about the 70s,80s,90s, and early '00s. More than half the class failed even though she'd put up study guides a few days before the exam that included the answer to literally every question. The prof was probably the hottest 60ish year old woman I've ever seen too.

you went to KU didn't you?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Motto posted:

the message I'm getting is that no matter what I do in college I'm probably loving up anyway

As long as you learn things and don't accumulate an unmanageable amount of debt, you'll be alright.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
You don't get personal enrichment from a class. You get it from leaving your lovely dorm room or apartment or whatever and interacting with other people.

The real reason for gen. ed. requirements is to get STEM majors into a room with more than 5 women per 200 people, where they can see what an actual 8 looks like rather than some dumpy 6 pretending to be an 8. The 'well-rounded' bit refers to all the shapely butts barely concealed by not-quite-see-thru yoga pants.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

AlexanderCA posted:

Thank God we don't have gen ed here. That's what high school is for.

I did a history minor because of "enrichment"(fun and hilarously easy credits) while my mech eng major is where you know I actually want to work.

Now college is at least affordable here so no reason not to pick something you just truly enjoy even if there isn't much money in it. But I would never take on American level debt for it.
I actually think that a lot of general education stuff can be covered in high school, especially more general math and sciences. There is no reason why the average 10 grader can't learn calculus, and the training that her mind gets from that learning process is invaluable.

But a lot of American high schools are toilet places for garbage people.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm taking an intro communications class this semester required for every major at the college. Half the semester has been spent on studying interpersonal communication, and while I guess I can see why people like studying that stuff, but I'm not sure how much real world application is being generated. There's lots of this "Hey, this stuff is really useful! Warren Buffet said he valued an employee's communication ability more than anything else!" thrown at you, as if he's referring to the nonsense on conflict management and interpersonal communication that's taught and not the ability to be a conniving piece of poo poo that would sell out your own mother to save the company a buck but not piss people off while you do it.

The public speaking portion is moderately useful and pretty fun, though. It's really hard not to laugh when stoner-voice guy is asking if he can restart his speech on the benefits of hemp for the third time because he "hosed up."

The dweebs in my major probably won't learn how to be human beings, regardless.

Uncle Salty posted:

But a lot of American high schools are toilet places for garbage people.

Hey man, did you go to the 10 year reunion?

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 15, 2015

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Smugworth posted:

I'm taking an intro communications class this semester required for every major at the college. Half the semester has been spent on studying interpersonal communication, and while I guess I can see why people like studying that stuff, but I'm not sure how much real world application is being generated. There's lots of this "Hey, this stuff is really useful! Warren Buffet said he valued an employee's communication ability more than anything else!" thrown at you, as if he's referring to the nonsense on conflict management and interpersonal communication that's taught and not the ability to be a conniving piece of poo poo that would sell out your own mother to save the company a buck but not piss people off while you do it.

The public speaking portion is moderately useful and pretty fun, though. It's really hard not to laugh when stoner-voice guy is asking if he can restart his speech on the benefits of hemp for the third time because he "hosed up."

The dweebs in my major probably won't learn how to be human beings, regardless.

Interpersonal skills are important because you can get people to do your work for you, you can get easy work, and you can pawn off blame for failure onto your less popular colleagues. Basically if you don't master them you will get hosed by someone you work with in the future who has.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didnt really learn much in college and the very few practical things I did learn that actually turned out to have some use in the real world could have been condensed into a year, easy. So much random useless garbage

I got super good at writing essays though

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

cool tree bro posted:

Interpersonal skills are important because you can get people to do your work for you, you can get easy work, and you can pawn off blame for failure onto your less popular colleagues. Basically if you don't master them you will get hosed by someone you work with in the future who has.

Fair enough.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

cool tree bro posted:

all of this is less important than being physically attractive

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

subhuman filth posted:

all of this is less important than being physically attractive

Yeah. Smelling good and looking good are more important, but you also have to know how to word or else you're just a pretty autistic rock.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
If you think Womens' Studies is a waste of your valuable time that could be spent updating network card drivers then I have the website for you.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

a bay posted:

If you think Womens' Studies is a waste of your valuable time that could be spent updating network card drivers then I have the website for you.
thanks for sharing where you found your avatar

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

cool tree bro posted:

Yeah. Smelling good and looking good are more important, but you also have to know how to word or else you're just a pretty autistic rock.

a pretty autistic rock will get as far, if not farther, than a smooth operating average dude

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Khorne posted:

thanks for sharing where you found your avatar

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Cat appreciation 102