Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Problem description: There are 2 problems that seem to happen, entirely unrelated to one another, but equally annoying. The most prevalent is my display adapter driver will cause every single game I play to crash, once. Some games, like DotA 2, will crash seemingly at random, potentially not at all, while others such as Batman: Arkham Origins will crash within seconds of starting the game proper (getting past the menus and such). Once it has crashed, if I load the game up again, I can play it without any issue whatsoever, and it will not crash a second time, and generally runs flawlessly. It's annoying as gently caress and I don't really understand why it does it once, then deems my PC fit to work forever until I restart and begin the cycle again. Any help on that would be massively appreciated. This has been happening for a long, long time, as it was never enough of an issue for me to try and fix it, but now it happens with every game since I guess they're more demanding these days, and it's annoying.

The next is my PC will bluescreen randomly. Sometimes I can be browsing the internet and it will just up and BSOD, while other times it can be if I'm playing a particularly demanding game, although the latter seems to be nothing more than timing since I can also play those same games for far longer and experience no issue. Also, the little message that pops up with the blue screen, generally telling you what's wrong, is never the same, it cycles between like 3 or 4 different things, and sometimes doesn't say anything at all.

Attempted fixes: For the first issue, check all my drivers are up to date. For the second, various things, but this was all a while ago when this was happening last time, and then it stopped, and now it's picked back up and evidently nothing worked. I uninstalled Daemon Tools and ran something to uninstall SPTD versions(?) off my computer. This seemed to have done the trick last time, as it stopped, now it doesn't.

Recent changes: Nope

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit

System specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
GeForce GTX 670
Kingston 8GB DDR3 669MHz
Cooler Master 650w
HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD
1 x 2 TB WD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

For the display issue I'd run DDU http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ and then install the latest beta drivers. See if that makes a difference.

For the BSOD I'd check your GPU and CPU temperatures using http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

If those are all okay then I'd run the portable zip edition CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
and post the screenshot of the window.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I've run DDU and installed the latest beta drivers, and got the other 2 programs, but I haven't yet had the time to play a game so I can't check if it's helped or not, but I just wanted to let you know I have done it and will find out hopefully soon!

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Well, it hasn't randomly bluescreened in a while, and the couple of times I have played games it hasn't done the usual crashing thing, so so far it seems that at the very least you've definitely helped my games not gently caress up anymore! So that's definitely good, thanks!

Only downside is that the bluescreening is entirely random and does enjoy letting me think it's fixed before randomly loving up

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Balobam posted:

Only downside is that the bluescreening is entirely random and does enjoy letting me think it's fixed before randomly loving up

Yea, it'll take a couple weeks of stability before you can be sure that's fixed.

• Locked thread