Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
Problem description: I purchased a Samsung 840 Pro SSD and used Samsung's cloning software to copy my old HDD and install it into my HP Envy 15. It was working perfectly for 2 days, then on coming back to turn it on, it acted as though there was no bootable drive. Eventually, Windows spat out an error 3F0, boot device not found.

Attempted fixes: I pulled the SSD out and replaced it with the HDD to confirm there was nothing the matter with the laptop. It booted beautifully and ran through its paces. I tested the SSD in a SMART program with no errors and was able to pull my essential files off it just in case. In an enclosure, it worked perfectly. I attempted a repair installation with the SSD back in the laptop, only to see Windows could not see the SSD at all. Going into DISKPART and having it list both disks and volumes didn't result in seeing the SSD either. I also went into BIOS to look for any legacy boot options or Secure Boot to turn off, but neither were available. I've read this is a common issue with SSDs and Windows 8, but I'm running 7.

There's a BIOS update for my laptop from March of this year that I'm considering attempting, as well as the performance fix for the Samsung SSDs. I'm hoping some combination of these can help.

Recent changes: After installing the SSD I turned system restore on and started to download some new Steam games.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit edition.

System specs: HP Envy 15-t 3200 CTO.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, and the suggested centered around repair installs, initializing the disk in DISKPART, legacy boot options and disabling secure boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, the BIOS update would be a good starting point.

• Locked thread