Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Linux mint is super easy, it's basically windows xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Thunderbolt is a cool port and i don't think it will go away on the pro lineup, i doubt anyone that isn't a nerdlord uses it though so why would they include it on what is targeted at the mass market?

firewire is a cool port and i don't think it will go away on the pro lineup, i doubt anyone that isn't a nerdlord uses it thought so why would they include it on what is targeted at the mass market?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

cool tree bro posted:

firewire is a cool port and i don't think it will go away on the pro lineup, i doubt anyone that isn't a nerdlord uses it thought so why would they include it on what is targeted at the mass market?

IDK i think USB-C has a different role than thunderbolt does since thunderbolt is basically just PCI-E, USB-C will be wildly successful and maybe kill off lightning

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
I hate linux, but not because of linux, but because of the people who like it.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
i like linux, but I hate 'free software' because of the people who like it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Thunderbolt is a cool port and i don't think it will go away on the pro lineup, i doubt anyone that isn't a nerdlord uses it though so why would they include it on what is targeted at the mass market?

yeah the new firewire is totally going to change the world just like the old firewire did

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

the apple that invented firewire was quite a bit smaller than the apple that popularized thunderbolt.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

reminder that apple still has negligible marketshare when it comes to real computers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
nigga write a whole kernel heself i mean poo poo

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I like linux but lol if you think it'll ever be significant for the average peasant wanting to look at his handy selfies on the big computer screen (android? shut up)

Also it's pretty fat-assed and developing free software in any way shape or form is like doing anything on wikipedia, if you don't got the 'tism bad you'll quit eventually of people who do

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

I like linux but lol if you think it'll ever be significant for the average peasant wanting to look at his handy selfies on the big computer screen

Also it's pretty fat-assed and developing free software in any way shape or form is like doing anything on wikipedia, if you don't got the 'tism bad you'll quit eventually of people who do

that is literally what the most used linux is for

selfies

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

cool tree bro posted:

that is literally what the most used linux is for

selfies

yeah i'm sure all the people using their smartphone/tablet devices really care about the state of linux

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
"open sores" as those hilarious and wacky jokesters in yospos say

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

didnt read any of this nerd poo poo cram it you losers *peels out on motorcycle*

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

david... posted:

didnt read any of this nerd poo poo cram it you losers *peels out on motorcycle*

unironically this

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Police Automaton posted:

I like linux but lol if you think it'll ever be significant for the average peasant wanting to look at his handy selfies on the big computer screen (android? shut up)

lots of people get paid lots and lots of money working at IBM and Google and other tech companies writing free software. The developers of Ubuntu and gentoo are not an accurate portrayal of who actually develop stuff

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

lots of people get paid lots and lots of money working at IBM and Google and other tech companies writing free software. The developers of Ubuntu and gentoo are not an accurate portrayal of who actually develop stuff

Counterpoint: Linux will never have serious coverage on the desktop market and there are very good resons for that

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Police Automaton posted:

Counterpoint: Linux will never have serious coverage on the desktop market and there are very good resons for that

chromebooks made up 21% of PC sales last year

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

yeah i'm sure all the people using their smartphone/tablet devices really care about the state of osx

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

tbh modern linux desktop environments could give windows/osx a run for their money if all the world's commercial software and drivers were produced natively for linux as well but instead you've got several choices of really slick desktop environments backed by lots of garbage third party drivers and opensource knockoffs of commercial software

wine/VMs can bridge the software gap a bit but normal people aren't going to do this (and shouldnt have to)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 19, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
i remember having to install a kernel module in either red hat or the earliest release of fedora in order to get ntfs support. lol, just lol

i was using whatever distro because it was recommended to me as the simplest at the time

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

gggiiimmmppp posted:

tbh modern linux desktop environments could give windows/osx a run for their money if all the world's commercial software and drivers were produced natively for linux as well but instead you've got several choices of really slick desktop environments backed by lots of garbage third party drivers and opensource knockoffs of commercial software

wine/VMs can bridge the software gap a bit but normal people aren't going to do this

But seriously, as a linux user I can say wine can bridge the software gap except when it can't which admittedly get's more rare these days but is still quite common, especially for that one windows programm you just *need* to run. VMs basically don't count because that's still using windows. As you said, the software selection and driver support is just poo poo in many fields and I doubt that'll change until big corps actually start doing their stuff on linux, which admittedly, might happen.

But why bother as a normal person when you just can run windows instead

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

But seriously, as a linux user I can say wine can bridge the software gap except when it can't which admittedly get's more rare these days but is still quite common, especially for that one windows programm you just *need* to run. VMs basically don't count because that's still using windows. As you said, the software selection and driver support is just poo poo in many fields and I doubt that'll change until big corps actually start doing their stuff on linux, which admittedly, might happen.

But why bother as a normal person when you just can run windows instead

normal people only care if their video games and calendar programs/address books work.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

cool tree bro posted:

normal people only care if their video games and calendar programs/address books work.

Which they do in windows. Even the few games that actually exist natively in Linux now because of engines like unity3d etc. making it easy often feel like some kind of cheap knock-off experience with sometimes bizarre driver and performance issues instead of running them in windows, where they often just run fine, no matter what hardware you happen to have. This isn't 1998 anymore and such issues shouldn't even exist.

The entire linux experience just still sucks too much in too many ways to be really a completely viable replacement in most situations, there are some very neat things you couldn't ever do in windows in an effective way, but overall... yeah. And I say this as someone who has used Linux for probably over ten years now. I'm still dual-booting (now VMing) and probably will still for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Tarvold is awesome...

Victory!

• Locked thread