Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nefarious posted:

neil young owns I dunno why he decided to invested in some knockoff iPod but w/ever

He was trying to make a music player that uses FLAC instead of MP3 because FLAC is much better, but I think the iPod can already use its own brand of FLAC called ALAC and there's not too much difference so I think Neil is pretty dumb for doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
pushing for higher quality music is a good idea but lol at the prices

also lol at people paying for music

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

how can anyone not like neil young I mean really now this is some ignorant poo poo

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

He was trying to make a music player that uses FLAC instead of MP3 because FLAC is much better, but I think the iPod can already use its own brand of FLAC called ALAC and there's not too much difference so I think Neil is pretty dumb for doing this.

if you care about music fidelity why are you even listening to it on a portable player. just do it at home where it's quiet and you don't have to use earbuds. nothing about this concept makes any sense

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

cocainse is a hell of a drug

I remember reading about some concert footage of Neil where it took an absurd amount of money to edit a coke booger out his nose

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shut up netface posted:

the rockabilly album he created to break a contract

He also got sued over it after the record label Geffen got a meltdown over the album's dismal sales and reviews.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

SunAndSpring posted:

Nah, there's still tons of good lyrics writers out there. Only difference is that not too many of them get big anymore because easy-to-digest pop music has become the norm. I guess it's fine if people like that stuff, but I feel like they're missing out on some good music.

Oh, absolutely. I was old-fart reminiscing about what the song was in reference to, at a time where free speech was a concept parroted, but not actually freely allowed. Neil Young was using radio, a quasi-social media at the time, to spread current events in the form of lyrics spreading the injustice of the shooting of unarmed college students by State-directed militia at Ohio State. I know it's a lot more than that, but the point still stands.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You really need to hunt down a copy of Human Highway, which is where that clip comes from. It's amazing in many, many ways.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

if you care about music fidelity why are you even listening to it on a portable player. just do it at home where it's quiet and you don't have to use earbuds. nothing about this concept makes any sense

this was my takeaway from it as well

that thing is 400 american dollars

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Young Freud posted:

You really need to hunt down a copy of Human Highway, which is where that clip comes from. It's amazing in many, many ways.

Oh, I have it.

That scene with Neil staring at the waitress is one of my favorite (extended) moments in cinema.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 20, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

holy poo poo that young/devo joint owns

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Splatmaster posted:

Ohio
lyrics by Neil Young

--------

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Potent lyrics, have the times changed?

the Isley Brothers cover is wayyy better, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39WxCT4U4Vk

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SunAndSpring posted:

If you don't think Harvest is a 10/10 album you can get the gently caress out

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
a southern man don't need him around anyhow

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

a southern man don't need him around anyhow

it was a funny fake rivalry.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

it was a funny fake rivalry.

the best part was people got mad on both sides. Missed the goddamn joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Mr. Soul posted:

I remember reading about some concert footage of Neil where it took an absurd amount of money to edit a coke booger out his nose

yeah, when he's doing 'like a hurricane', I think. owns.

• Locked thread