Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bismuth posted:

Good, I always worried about that when they wouldnt let go, I didnt want to hurt them.

Sea anemones have a refractory period but they're not particularly harmed either. Shake hands with a sea anemone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pick posted:

Sea anemones have a refractory period but they're not particularly harmed either. Shake hands with a sea anemone.

I think they're adorable, but I feel bad making them think they got a meal and faking them out.

Sorry if any of these have (annoying) sound I dont have it on my laptop but sand dollars are weird in motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSA09qg2BMY

these guys are weird too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZcomBnNKXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H25Rpls7iM8

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

not to get all Peter Singer, but you mention things like longterm retention of aversion behaviors and etc., and this kind of thinking is why we stopped acnowledging pain in babies, and therefore stopped anesthetizing babies for surgery. then we realized oh whoops, actually maybe babies can feel pain and maybe we shouldn't cut them open with scissors and stuff unless they've been numbed maybe

Ahh, I was actually referring to some experiments with very simple molluscs that I read way back and can't find right now. Point was, most animals with simple nervous systems are not really capable of retaining memories for long periods of time on account of their limited neuronal capacity. Not a lot of space to hold things when you've only got a couple of thousand neurons. It absolutely cannot be extrapolated to anything involving a central nervous system. What I'm saying is that the capacity for animals with simple nervous systems to experience pain is like that of a brain-dead person; They might very well react to you poking their finger with a needle, but it's just an autonomous spinal cord directed reflex, they don't experience "pain" as we as conscious creatures conceive it.

Obviously this whole question is a bit irrelevant to any real scientific questions we might ask about the nervous systems of echinoderms, but I find it helps me not to empathise with the things I need to cut up in the animal physiology lab courses :goleft:

Don't even get me started on behaviorism. That whole "brain is a black box we can't study it" poo poo was a terrible terrible period of time in the history of neuroscience and we still haven't fully recovered from the damage it caused. Motherfucking Chinese Room as a model for intelligence AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Bismuth posted:

I think they're adorable, but I feel bad making them think they got a meal and faking them out.

Sorry if any of these have (annoying) sound I dont have it on my laptop but sand dollars are weird in motion

these guys are weird too

I am cool with the crinoid but no gently caress that sand dollar that is not an ok way for things to be

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

Eucidaris tribuloides

I'm not even kidding. That is like a baby Shoggoth. There must be a breach in the Mariana Trench.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gilok posted:

I am cool with the crinoid but no gently caress that sand dollar that is not an ok way for things to be

u sure ur ok with them

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
what the gently caress is that thing in the bottom pic?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

ROFLburger posted:

the thing that crawls on you while you're asleep

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

it's a crinoid, among the most gross and weird of echinoderms, next to brittle stars

there are deffo cuter echinoderms out there. for example, the sea pig

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
how do these idiots find food at the ocean floor? they just crawl around and touch stuff until they find dinner?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

how do these idiots find food at the ocean floor? they just crawl around and touch stuff until they find dinner?

p much

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everything on Earth that gets flushed or dies or rots or whatever eventually probably winds up at the bottom of the ocean, pretty much. They eat fish poop and seaweed scraps and snail garbage, and probably a lot of toxic crap we throw away too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They also tend to have absurdly low metabolisms compared to, say, mammals.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pick posted:

it's a crinoid, among the most gross and weird of echinoderms, next to brittle stars

there are deffo cuter echinoderms out there. for example, the sea pig

Dont badmouth crinoids they're graceful majestic creatures.

If you want gross and weird check out the amazing living fractal the basket sea star

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I already said how I feel about basket stars!!!!! i don't like them!!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

basket stbarf

Gorgonocephalus caputmedusae

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 24, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I am going to shove one up my rear end.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hate Fibration posted:

I am going to shove one up my rear end.

It already looks like a living colon scraping.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ROFLburger posted:

Many of the classic sea stars are active hunters. They have smell as well as touch to home in on stuff. It's just that the stuff they hunt are clams and scallops, ie even less mobile.

Sand dollars are pretty much a living roomba though.

The ocean is really, uh, efficient that way. There are things that eat the poop of things that eat poop.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBj7P3jnMDk

basket staaaars

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll take one, deep fried.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Ugh basket stars are freaky little shoggoth larvae. Are there any urchins that approach that level of nastyness or are sea stars just special like that?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Basket stars are pretty special in their grossness.

Here's a sea urchin eating though:

(Echinoderm attacks echinoderm!)

(sea cucumber)

Pearlfish live in sea cucumber butts

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Pick posted:

mandatory googling after seeing that posted:

However, some species are known to be parasitic on sea cucumbers, eating their gonads and living in their anal pores

:eyepop:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y4DbZivHCY

Pick posted:

win-win!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

So I was wondering what kind of hosed up poo poo might be on Europa or other icy moons. Basket stars already look like some otherworldy monster that'd eat a probe sailing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Actually quite a few humans, even in developed nations (between 10-20%) with almost no regard to demographics, have pinworms living in their asses, which poke their little heads out of your anus when you sleep to lay eggs. The main symptom is an itchy anus.

• Locked thread