Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Inevitable posted:

So, his arc is: Retard stays retarded, is eventually embraced by other retards, everybody continues to be retarded?

Well I would emphasize the previous state of hatred and exile that Jar Jar was placed into by his retard companions (because as you said Jar Jar remains retarded); eventually he is recognized as well meaning and not any more retarded than the rest of them; and finally they all get saved from their ill thought out plan (that Jar Jar was definitely doing nothing to make less ill thought out but was honestly suicidal with or without him) by the people who know how hyperspace works and how to shut off droid armies.

Really if we were capable of looking past the events of the first movie and through star wars time we would be able to see the race of Gungans eventually either reject the cultural isolationism that has left it completely vulnerable in this advanced space society or else it will become extinct. Probably by hitting that shiny thing in the reactor room in the palace of Naboo with a wrench after slipping on a banana peel or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cubey posted:

it cannot be overstated how loving terrible the dialogue is in the prequels, and especially in episode 2.

nah i always whine about the texture of sand in a sedate monotone when i'm wooing a much older princess

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cubey posted:

it cannot be overstated how loving terrible the dialogue is in the prequels, and especially in episode 2.

I actually like Episode III despite some dumbness but every time I say anything in its defense I hear ":byodood: FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL" in my head and then I feel a twinge of shame.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I actually like Episode III despite some dumbness but every time I say anything in its defense I hear ":byodood: FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL" in my head and then I feel a twinge of shame.

and just think, there are people in cined who are convinced that episode 2 is actually a masterpiece and people who like it are just dumb about movies

(ps epiosde 3 still sucks)

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

jar jar brinksmanship

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

In Jar Jar I trust.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

all of his people shunned him and hated him but they made him a commander of their army for the battle. Him saving the day mirrors the kid saving the day. Idiot savants. poo poo movie

Cheers

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I watched one of the scenes from PM and a Jar Jar type soldier literally said "Yousa in deep doo doo." and then I remembered the crushing disappointment of seeing that movie in the theater and felt it again as though for the first time.

*sob*

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i hate sand

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Jar Jar wasn't that bad it's just those prequels as a whole were not very well made or good. Like blaming him for the whole thing being bad is misguided when you had Kid Vader going "yipee!" in a scene.

He would have been a lot better if his humor was toned down and he spoke like a gargling alien language like the murlocs in Warcraft. Actually a lot of the characters would have worked better if they either spoke less or spoke an alien language come to think of it.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 22, 2015

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
remove jar-jar, replace anakin with a totally new actor and re-write his lines, cut out 95% of the pod racing scene and actually episode 1 isn't too bad

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Inevitable posted:

Did he? I remember that he accidentally won a battle at the end, but it was because he was still being a retard, not because he had suddenly stopped being incompetent.

Funny enough, Rewatching PM enough times for no reason that could possibly be good, that scene made me hate him just a little bit less. Because if you watch him closely, it becomes apparent that while he may be fumbling, everything besides initially getting his pantleg caught on that droid arm and making it fire the first time actually look kinda calculated. Like, the rest of the leg-laser blasts, him opening up that cargo hold of bombs to send them at the droids, etc all seem like he's doing it deliberately to my eyes, just that he's a big putz while doing it.

He's that 90's kind of cartoonishly unrealistic idiot, where I almost wonder if George Lucas had some draft where he unwittingly takes down all of Palpatine's big schemes for a while without even realizing it ala every stupid character in movies from about 1988 to 2004.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

remove jar-jar, replace anakin with a totally new actor and re-write his lines, cut out 95% of the pod racing scene and actually episode 1 isn't too bad

Remove everything.

Take some random idiot's "This is how I would write the prequels!!!!!" rant off the internet and do that.

Any idiot's. There's a billion of those rants and they are all terrible and they are all actually better than what happened.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I reiterate, almost 50% of the Phantom Menace was the heros stuck in the desert looking for parts to fix their van.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Die in a fire OP. jar jar hurt the eyes n ears.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
George Lucas is on the record saying Jar Jar Binks is his favorite character of the franchise.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Real hurthling! posted:

nah i always whine about the texture of sand in a sedate monotone when i'm wooing a much older princess

but it gets everywhere

bollig posted:

George Lucas is on the record saying Jar Jar Binks is his favorite character of the franchise.

bar bar jinks

darth darth binks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

les fleurs du mall posted:

It seems like seeing Jar Jar as anything else other than just more of the same Star Wars magic is just silly, and maybe indicates that you take a silly fun space opera movie franchise a little bit too seriously and hold it too close to heart to really enjoy it and all its attributes.

Is Star Wars really meant to be a silly fun space opera? It has its moments, but there are some real dark themes in all 6 movies.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite character was steve hoth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

Is Star Wars really meant to be a silly fun space opera? It has its moments, but there are some real dark themes in all 6 movies.

The original trilogy was meant to be a space opera, I wouldn't say silly fun necessarily though.

The prequels had no idea what they wanted to be, bouncing back and forth between slapstick and 'I KILLED THEM ALL' like they did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

The original trilogy was meant to be a space opera, I wouldn't say silly fun necessarily though.

The prequels had no idea what they wanted to be, bouncing back and forth between slapstick and 'I KILLED THEM ALL' like they did.

The only random tonal shift that really confused me was in Episode III with the rescue of Palpatine, the elevator sequence was really weird in places. But other then that I can't recall any issues with the tone of the movies, and I watched them all a few weeks ago.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Roy posted:

mesa vote 1

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jar Jar binks was a good star wars character.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

blowfish posted:

bar bar jinks

darth darth binks

duck duck goose :wotwot:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I said come in! posted:

My first watch of TPM I got that they were slaves but I am pretty sure the whole "bomb in their head" thing went over my own little head.

Likewise AOTC's darkest theme is being criminally boring. I get what you are saying for the whole "killed a bunch of sand people" scene but I can definitely say that the death of Luke's family in ANH stuck with me waaaaay harder because instead of "lightsaber bloodlessly passes through sand person- cut" we got a scene with the burnt rubble and the dead bodies and stuff.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
What the gently caress was the plot of TPM, anyway?

Best I can remember: The Jedi have to stop the Trade Empire from doing a thing because the Sith. Also they go to Tatooine and have a race!.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

The only random tonal shift that really confused me was in Episode III with the rescue of Palpatine, the elevator sequence was really weird in places. But other then that I can't recall any issues with the tone of the movies, and I watched them all a few weeks ago.

I felt like 2 jumped around a bit. It wasn't so much abrupt tonal shifts for me as it is confusion about which audience they're supposed to be targeting. It feels like they're trying to appeal to everyone a little bit and it kind of comes across as a mish mash. Like why have the political galactic senate drama scenes in a kids movie? If it isn't a kids movie, why have the slapstick Jar Jar stepping in poo?

It's all subjective though of course.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
the problem with swe1 was all the political bullshit that is boring and no one cares about, c-span has the same problem.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
cspan has better dialog at least

anakin ur hurting my feels ;_; *dies from heartbreak*

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

firing some jar jar blanks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Whole Internet posted:

cspan has better dialog at least

anakin ur hurting my feels ;_; *dies from heartbreak*

Padme's death confused me for a long time. I think the reason why she actually died, despite having twins to take care of, is that she no longer wanted to accept the galaxy as it is. She couldn't handle what Anakin and Darth Sidious have turned it into and she wanted no part in it without Anakin as she knew him. This was handled in a way that was confusing and executed poorly though, but I am pretty sure that is what George Lucas was going for. He did something similar with Luke Skywalker in the throne room in Episode VI.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope you're happy you son of a bitch.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 22, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I said come in! posted:

I hope you're happy you son of a bitch.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jar Jar binks was a good star wars character. Now let me explain hat I mean by this. In terms of being a "star wars character", a character can either be good or bad. I mean that either it makes sense for the character to be in the star wars universe, or it doesn't and is silly and out of place.

Jar Jar binks is the former - it makes sense for the character to be in the star wars universe.

Jar Jar binks is totally consistent and well matching to the persistent camp silliness in the star wars franchise.

Jar Jar binks is no different in character quality to Yoda, Chewbacca, C3PO, R2D2, or any of the other non-human characters.

It seems like seeing Jar Jar as anything else other than just more of the same Star Wars magic is just silly, and maybe indicates that you take a silly fun space opera movie franchise a little bit too seriously and hold it too close to heart to really enjoy it and all its attributes.

Basically if you don;'t like Jar Jar binks i don't think you like Star Wars at all.
Let's take a look this from the proper point of view to see any Star Wars movie: a little kid watching the movie, explaining to his friends on the playground who would be fun to hang out with.

Yoda: Ugly and weird, but it doesn't matter because he can flip you across the loving room with a thought. No bully is giving you poo poo if you can force choke the bitch. He's in.

Chewbacca: Goofy and fucks up sometimes but an indisputable badass. Chewie also wouldn't let you get bullied and would probably scare anyone off from even thinking it just by being present. You wouldn't dare refuse him.

C3PO: A dumb nerd but he puts one over on the bad guys. You wouldn't want to be seen with him but you'd deal with it because he would totally get you through the Death Star. He gets a pass.

R2D2: Not only is he basically constantly cursing like a sailor (admit it, even the kids know) but he's a walking Swiss Army Knife and even more useful than C3PO. Easily gets a pass.

Jabba the Hutt: Ugly as gently caress but he controls the whole goddamn underworld. You don't even have to bring him with you, just mention that you know him and people are making GBS threads their pants. In for sure.

Ewoks: Lose points for being cute and furry, but they know loving guerilla warfare. You wouldn't want to be caught hugging one but sure as gently caress you'd want them hiding in the bushes ambushing the guy who keeps trying to give you a wedgie.

The Cantina Band: They look weird but they play some kicking music and they got some crazy rear end horns. You wouldn't hang out with them but you'd let them play at your parties after killing all the Stormtroopers/Rebels and winning the day.

That loving Elephant Thing That Plays A Sort Of Piano: Yeah, he's dorky looking but Jabba keeps him around and you aren't loving crossing Jabba. Plus he's got to be hard as poo poo for hanging out there.

The Weird Women With Head Tentacle Things: Depends on whether you're old enough to like boobs yet or not.

The Fatass Flying Thing With The Pod Racers: loving disgusting but he has the ships. You would keep him around just to have the ships.

Now compare these to Jar Jar Binks, the complete fuckup who not only has a punchable face that would get you picked on just for being near it, but is a loving klutz and unintentionally sabotages everything constantly. You not only wouldn't pick this guy for your dodgeball team, both sides would tell him to stay off the field so he wouldn't somehow magically cause the first ever dodgeball fatality.

Yes, a kid would literally pick EVERY alien looking thing in Star Wars to hang out with before choosing loving Jar Jar Binks. And that is why he is the worst Star Wars character.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Ewoks: Lose points for being cute and furry, but they know loving guerilla warfare. You wouldn't want to be caught hugging one but sure as gently caress you'd want them hiding in the bushes ambushing the guy who keeps trying to give you a wedgie.

Don't forget that they still have that ATST. What kid doesn't want a stolen ATST? Things don't break from age in star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Jar Jar Binks sucks and always will. There is no argument.

• Locked thread