Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I was thinking about switching my cat's diet so that he only eats raw, live animals. I figure since he eats animals when he's outside I might as well just switch him over completely and then not have to worry about the food I get him. Has anyone else tried this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My grandma more or less tried this. She had about 40 cats living in her house, and after her stroke she stopped caring for them at all. Some of the sicklier cats died off of course, but there was usually enough new kittens to eat that the numbers stayed more or less stable. Eventually they ate my grandma, so take that into consideration if you go this route.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I dunno live animals sounds like it could get expensive pretty fast.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

i flunked out posted:

I was thinking about switching my cat's diet so that he only eats raw, live animals. I figure since he eats animals when he's outside I might as well just switch him over completely and then not have to worry about the food I get him. Has anyone else tried this?

You just need to goon it up a bit. Leave half-eaten takeaways around and never clean up after yourself. Sooner or later, you'll get rats. At this point, your cat either proves himself as a champ and goes armenian genocide on them, or turns out to be a total wuss and lets you wallow in your filth and newfound mouse buddies. Probably the latter.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
When I go on my rat BYBing binges I feed my culls to my dogs, but I whack them first

They don't really like how rats taste tbh, at least mine dont

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

Keep in mind that anything with a mouth can bite. If you feed your cat live mice for example, your cat can end up with small injuries that can lead to infection and/or unnecessary vet bills. Larger prey like rats, guinea pigs or rabbits can bite or kick pretty seriously. This is why, in the wild, most predators take down prey that is much much smaller than them. It's to avoid getting injured. :(

Also, the types of live prey you will be able to provide to sustain your cat will not likely result in a well balanced diet. There are only so many types of prey animals readily available (rats, mice, large insects, maybe guinea pigs or small bunnies, lizards & snakes get to be very expensive as food).

Good luck to you. My suggestion is keeping your cat on non-live food and providing sufficient other sources of entertainment and exercise for his/her hunting drive.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

If you're interested in a more "wild diet" do lots of research on the BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food / Bones and Raw Food) or raw diet for making your own cat food using meat. It's more work but many say they get healthier and happier animals as a result. I have not done this to my cat yet, so I can't give you any first hand results.

If you're interested in not having to pay for cat food because of the cost, I'm assuming you're a troll or someone who really shouldn't own an animal.
Even farm cats, who's sole purpose in life is to hunt rats/mice all day, still get fresh water and kibble on a daily basis. They probably eat even more since they are burning more calories than house cats. ..also, they probably all have tape worms frequently...
I'm not even going to touch the ethics of keeping cats indoor/outdoor and the cats own health and the health of their nearby ecosystem.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My Question is; "Does anybody on this Forum have a Dog that exhibits Homosexual Behaviours?" I am thinking specifically of Sexual Intercourse via the Anus; but am also curious about other Homosexual Behaviours; such as licking of the Genitalia; or any traditionally Masculine acts exhibited by Bitches [female dogs]. I am doing secondary research on Homosexual Behaviours in Mammals; with a focus on marine mammals but I am interested in the psychological and physiological Mechanics of these Acts and very few people live in close quarters [with] a marine mammal; but many of you own Dogs as a pet or a working assistant. Please tell me if you can help me. I am highly intelligent and have published several articles.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am aware that the topic of this thread is Cats; but I think that many people who are interested in Cats; also are interested in Dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Remember to dust your live prey in calcium dust to make sure that your cat is getting sufficient amounts of this critical nutrient. Cat rickets are the saddest thing.

• Locked thread