Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
(fyi that was a reference to the movie "star wars" where han solo notices the death star for the first time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

that's no moon...

(this was)

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
this is a picture of an "owl bear"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

az
Dec 2, 2005

:gonk:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
thats no moon...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

"owl" have some of that

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

man I wanna go to space so loving bad

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pwnyXpress posted:

Just wanted to post here that I love Saturn's moons.

yeah, saturn has the best moons. jupiter's moons are mostly boring except io, uranus i can't even remember anything about any of its moons, and neptune only has triton and a bunch of lamers.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

yeah, saturn has the best moons. jupiter's moons are mostly boring except io, uranus i can't even remember anything about any of its moons, and neptune only has triton and a bunch of lamers.

that's no moon...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cubey posted:

Uranus at least has this:

Miranda, it looks like it might have been shattered in some apocalyptic event in the past and reformed (badly) or is under the effects of extreme tidal friction.

The problem with Neptune and Uranus is that all we know about the moons close up are limited to brief flybys by Voyager 2, there could be lots of cool stuff, especially on Triton (which appears to be a rouge Kuiper belt object grabbed by Neptune's gravity judging from its retrograde orbit) but nothing's there to see it.

Remember that we only really noticed that Enceladus is a pretty cool place blasting out water into space from a possible underground ocean when Cassini got there.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i hope we send more probes to the other planets because like a lot the pics we have of them are super cool, but they're also way old. like some of the raddest pictures jupiter and saturn and all came from the 70s. cassini was cool but we should be doing like way more of those for all the planets.

anyway our space program is bullshit, so it won't happen till like 2020 or something.

do we even have any rad space projects to look forward to? honest question cuz idk.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Miranda, it looks like it might have been shattered in some apocalyptic event in the past and reformed (badly) or is under the effects of extreme tidal friction.

The problem with Neptune and Uranus is that all we know about the moons close up are limited to brief flybys by Voyager 2, there could be lots of cool stuff, especially on Triton (which appears to be a rouge Kuiper belt object grabbed by Neptune's gravity judging from its retrograde orbit) but nothing's there to see it.

Remember that we only really noticed that Enceladus is a pretty cool place blasting out water into space from a possible underground ocean when Cassini got there.

Miranda's awesome. Tallest cliff in the solar system at 5km.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

khwarezm posted:

True, and I do hope that we send probes to each planet someday in the near-ish future; even if we don't find anything cool, more knowledge is always a Good Thing. But I still do doubt that Uranus and Neptune's systems would be anywhere near as interesting as Saturn's is; after all, we did study Jupiter and all we found there was that Io is cool and Europa maybe possibly has life but we'll probably never know.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
One major problem with outer solar system exploration:

We're running out of power!

Basically the best way to power all those cool crafts so far out (unless you listen to stupid people concerned that it will containment notoriously radiation free outer space) is to use a plutonium 238 battery(decaying plutonium produces a nice lot of energy), but we don't make much plutonium 238 since the cold war ended and we stopped building nukes, so we're running out. It looks possible to build solar panels good enough to work as far out as Jupiter, JUNO uses them, but beyond that we'll need more plutonium, as well as for any more energy intensive projects closer to earth (particularly large rovers or the Europa Drill-bot dream project I one day hope to see). There is enough remaining fuel for three more craft, but one of those is tied up in the next Mars rover so options are limited if we want to seriously explore the outer regions of our solar system unless we produce more, which will be very expensive for an already cash-strapped NASA.

On the bright side, if we ever get serious with Thorium reactors then they could create a steady amount as useful byproduct.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 22, 2015

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

thats no moon...

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

this thread has been very informative and cool and has reminded me that space is really really cool. I love the idea of these giant rocks getting hosed up and flying around for eons

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i hope we send more probes to the other planets because like a lot the pics we have of them are super cool, but they're also way old. like some of the raddest pictures jupiter and saturn and all came from the 70s. cassini was cool but we should be doing like way more of those for all the planets.

anyway our space program is bullshit, so it won't happen till like 2020 or something.

do we even have any rad space projects to look forward to? honest question cuz idk.

New Horizons gets to Pluto this summer

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PotatoJudge posted:

New Horizons gets to Pluto this summer

thats no planet... and i mean literally!! :rimshot:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Miranda looks like baby's first normal map. I think god must have made it first before he got good at the whole creation thing.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

jiharlequinade posted:

Miranda's awesome. Tallest cliff in the solar system at 5km.

I hadn't actually seen pictures of Miranda before, and it's awesome. Kind of makes whatever caused the Tycho crater to be downgraded a bit.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ogive posted:

I hadn't actually seen pictures of Miranda before, and it's awesome. Kind of makes whatever caused the Tycho crater to be downgraded a bit.

thats no moon...

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

khwarezm posted:

One major problem with outer solar system exploration:

We're running out of power!

You must construct additional pylons

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kanthulhu posted:

You must construct additional pylons

Do you guys get it I referenced a videogame :downs:

Adbot