Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I've got 260 pictures to upload, and the home internet is being cranky. For those of you on facebook, many of these may seem familiar, but I am finally uploading the entire collection from my trip last week to Solvang. First stop was Buellton, CA. Right next door to Solvang, which is near Santa Barbara. It's also got this tacky dutch village vibe to try to blend in with Solvang's tourist trap visual aesthetic. This was our motel.

A hotbed of excitement, as you can see.

It wasn't all bad though.

When inquiring at the front desk what there was to do in the area, the top tourist locations were the ostrich farm outside town, or the holistic healing center. Or, there was that one guy with all the old car stuff hes collected if you're into that.

:catstare:

The Mendenhall museum, as it is called, is a private man cave heaven owned by the caretakers. It used to be a wrecking yard in the '50s that Mr. Mendenhall worked at, then he wound up purchasing the property to be able to have the space and facilities to work on all his toys in peace. After a certain point, the hobby collection grew to such a size that he decided to offer tours of his place for a few bucks, and open it up to local car clubs, weddings, etc. If you need an automotive themed meeting place near Santa Barbara, this place is for you.

Rolling up to park, there were already goodies outside.

Pretty inviting exterior. I'd live here.

:stare:

the property in the '50s. They still have the tow truck in the picture and are restoring it to original service condition. I dont seem to have photos of that though.

Now this is a loving bathroom.

I've been told these are quite rare and quite expensive. Apparently still works.

Getting out to the toys.

So he raced this at Baja in '72. Parked it as ran, with desert dust and equipment still inside.

Oh he raced this too. Balls of steel. Better hope the pumpkin has the same level of resolve.

More coming soon. All have been resized but don't be afraid to ask for ul,trahuge if theres one you like specifically.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Batch 2:

4 door verts are pimp level poo poo

It had flag mounts.

Workspace.

Hell yes.

I'll bet you'd love to know what's under here :q:

A shot of the home, the patio upstairs and the sliding doors into their living area.

Part of their workshop for projects.

Their current project, the car they intend to run at Bonneville next year.

Some more shots outside to really drive home what this place must look like with the gates shut.

Now this is a loving entertainment center.

Remember that tarp? I posted these in the AIest images thread but for those who missed it it's a '67 Mustang that ran Bonneville in '68 and '69, with 13,000 miles and original everything that isnt an obvious mod. I mean all original in the unrestored sense, slapped a 390 in there and a hood and cage for fun but original paint and interior.

Who the gently caress needs header clearance anyways.

Batch 3 coming soon!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:stonk:

Very appropriate thread title.

Now uh, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the hospital to get rid of this rather.. uncomfortable.. rager that won't go away on its own.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
♫ It won't go down ♫

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You weren't kidding. That place looks like heaven on earth.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

That place looks incredible. Added to the bucket list.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Haha oh wow. Of all the tools to have the have a goddamn ironworker. Bravo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So with the Mendenhall museum's pictures finished, here's the next set from the Solvang motorcycle museum. I'm not a bike person so I tried to take photos of the info plaques and anyone here or in CA would probably be better to get info from than asking me questions, so here you go.

I do remember being told this one was restored improperly and should be fully cad plated but the country it was restored in wasnt legal to do so at the time.

This one had a little award on it for the oldest still riding condition bike from some show somewhere.

This one apparently was chassis number 001 out of 001 ever made. For some reason.

I flat out love the engine on this one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really want to see a video of that WWI rotary engine thing go.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I posted these already, I love this bike.

Apparently there's only a couple of these things and they're incredibly difficult to transport. Theres some people trying to get all the remaining Brittens together but the owner is too afraid to ship it because if it gets damaged they're irreplaceable.

Can you LS swap this?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
By the way thats an acetylene head lamp on that Harley with the white tires. Because what all motorcycles need is strapping a can of compressed acetylene gas to the front of them.

So I'm pretty sure the belt on the left side is the supercharger belt :black101:

Same bike at Bonneville.

I dont remember the story about this one but I do remember dad saying they were nicknamed the Screamer or something similar because of the ungodly noise it made.

Moto Guzzi V8 streamliner fairing sitting in the back bathroom. Which is also full of bikes.

Hell yes.

The Guzzi V8 sans fairing. A 500cc V8 to my understanding.

I like all the itty bitty exhaust pipes just all over.

A scale model Ferrari engine that actually runs if you put gas in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That Vincent scares me in my genitals.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I own some variant of that blue bike but I can't quite figure out what model it is. It's similar but not quite the same as my YDS3.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
This thread has me a) fully erect and b) browsing for old signs.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

8ender posted:

I own some variant of that blue bike but I can't quite figure out what model it is. It's similar but not quite the same as my YDS3.

That's because it's a 4-stroke Honda.

Looks to be an old CB450, if my google-fu is right.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/two-wheelers/sunday-salon-honda-cb450-the-black-bomber-or-the-prophet/

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

charliemonster42 posted:

That's because it's a 4-stroke Honda.

Looks to be an old CB450, if my google-fu is right.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/two-wheelers/sunday-salon-honda-cb450-the-black-bomber-or-the-prophet/

Oh wow I completely missed the gigantic Honda logo on the tank

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Speedway and ice racing bikes are all push start. That's how.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CharlesM posted:

Here you go dude, only a short, lovely quality clip though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAQuljp-atA

*edit: actually here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Cq49IDfOc

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Beats walking and it's pretty cool. But how do you come to a stop or idle? Are you just supposed to stall it, put it on the stand and then get off the bike and crank the wheel to restart every intersection?
E: I suppose you could jump off the bike and hold the front wheel off the ground.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 24, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Speedway and ice racing bikes are all push start. That's how.

Given their collection I bet they know and its more an issue of needing ice to do so on and not hardwood floor :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Using the exhaust camshaft as a reduction gear? :pwn:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm fascinated by the bikes (awoke my feeling for getting a license again, if I move countries I have to) and that is the hotel from the Theme Park stage of Left4Dead2. Thank you for this swimsuit-area-funnyfeeling-making stuff.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Harley dealer in Virginia Beach has one of those old Harleys, too. The "acetylene lamp" is a carbide lamp. Carbide granules go in one cup, water goes in another. Carbide + water = acetylene. The granules get metered out somehow, probably with a mechanism that works fabulously well bolted to the front of an ancient v-twin with no suspension.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

atomicthumbs posted:

Using the exhaust camshaft as a reduction gear? :pwn:

On a normal engine? Madness. Design the cam drive and camshaft to transmit 100% of the engines power though and it's fine, why have multiple versions of the same reduction drive?

I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CharlesM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TeqwcJjQgY
They start it later in the video, but sadly don't ride it.
They do cover one of the best things about it though.
Because the engine is directly connected to the wheel spinning, when you come to a stop sign or something you can't actually stop. You have to "orbit." As in, drive around in circles until you can go again :haw:

• Locked thread