Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Hi. Video games, right? After InFamous, we might as well just play more Sucker Punch games. This time I probably won’t totally hate them by the end. We’re going to be playing the entire Sly Cooper trilogy remastered in stunning HD by Sanzaru Games.

There is no fourth Sly Cooper.

We’ll also check out the comics and maybe possible other media because they’re pretty cute little extras and I’m a sucker for that sort of thing.

As an aside, Carlioo is working on the third game and has done Sly 2 along with the first one. First Aid Kite also did both but the links seem to be dead, unfortunately.

What is a “Sly” “Cooper”?

If you haven’t heard of this thieving raccoon, Sly Cooper was part of the Pretty Good Games triumvirate with the Jak series alongside the Ratchet and Clank series. The series is a stealth-based platformer and is pretty diverse in its gameplay. It’s cheesy as gently caress, never takes itself too seriously, and is really fun to play, so it is, by all accounts, a good set of games. The best way to put it is that Sly Cooper is more or less playing a Saturday morning cartoon and that’s pretty refreshing in a medium that tries so hard to be taken seriously that it loops back around to that laughable variety of edgy.

The collection, which was released November 9th, 2010, is exactly what it says on the tin but now it’s in 720p and is capable of displaying in 3D because for whatever reason that was something they got into. Also there are some throwaway Playstation Move minigames that unlock a trailer for a fictional fourth Sly Cooper when you have completed them.

Alright, but seriously, what about Sly 4?

I don’t think it’s a good game so I don’t want to do it! Maybe I’ll change my mind if I really, really hate myself but in my opinion it has a lot of issues and sort of misses the spirit of the original games. It’s a hell of a ways off to be talking about but compared to Sly 2 and 3, 4 is just a weird step back.

Hey I want to talk about an upcoming mission or later games and it’s literally impossible for me to contain myself, what should I do?

Tag it in spoilers, I guess?

The first game that we’ll be tackling, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus was released September 23rd, 2002. That was almost 13 years ago so now’s an appropriate time to feel old, I guess? It’s a very short game so we’ll probably blaze through it. This technically isn’t going to be 100% since I have no plans to speed run the levels because who cares. There are no meaningful extras to be earned from that. We will collect all of the bottles though because those unlock some new moves for Sly and can be pretty fun.

While generally pretty good, it’s predictably the weakest of the trilogy. Sly never quite feels as nimble as he becomes in later games. It’s based on levels as opposed to the later games having more of an “open-world” though I guess they’re conceptually the same since they’re all very mission based. Whatever.

THE SQUAD

Sly Cooper, or “the Danny Ocean of gaming” – GamesRadar, 2012

Gentleman thief who only steals from legitimate criminals. Never shuts the gently caress up about his heritage or their cool stuff. Wants to avenge his family after their brutal murder. Voiced by Kevin Miller.

Bentley the box turtle, or “the Wizard”. Nerd supreme. He is not the Danny Ocean of gaming.

Never shuts the gently caress up about math. Big worrywart. As of yet unproven in the field. Voiced by Matt Olsen.

Murray the hippo, or “The Murray”. Extremely powerful. Adequate driver. Burden?

Has not yet found his calling in this world. Easily spooked and deceived. Voiced by Chris Murphy.

We’ll update this list of amigos as we go. For now, let’s get this show started. The Sly Cooper series is an extremely chatty one so you can choose from cut commentary where we won’t blab over cutscenes or incidental dialogue and uncut commentary where we won’t shut up ever. This is really just going to be a pretty chill ride, frankly.

Joining me is ilthrel as per usual, but we have a secret new friend in Daedalus Waxing as well to be our resident pun expert.

1. A Clever Barrel Maker, or cut commentary

2. That’s a Walrus, or cut commentary

3. Taxes or cut commentary

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
I imagine we'll need this post eventually, if only to not have an immensely bloated OP.

Fanart??

AwrySquare/uglysquare

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 30, 2015

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Can't wait to see this continue :allears:

I really liked the third game's ending, and I'm glad it ended on that. It wrapped things up really well!

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
Please keep adding the subtitles because honestly I enjoy commentary, but also enjoy knowing what's going on.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

TCat posted:

Please keep adding the subtitles because honestly I enjoy commentary, but also enjoy knowing what's going on.

Yeah, I agree. I've only beaten the third game myself and I'd like to know the story I missed in one and two. :3:

Also, I wish they had uh updated Sly's model a little for Sly 1, he looks a little crossed-eyed.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 27, 2015

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
The LP curse has stricken early with myriad video issues. The cut commentary version of the video has some of our chatting over the problem portions, which add up to about... 25 seconds or so? For whatever reason, the video kept corrupting at the same spot despite rerecording several times. Eventually I had to just cut those parts out entirely--fortunately you don't really miss much other than "get more keys, go to more levels". Sorry about that though, it was frustrating!

:siren: 3. Taxes or cut commentary :siren:

I'll definitely keep adding the subtitles! I was planning to anyway but I'm glad to know people are finding them useful, that makes doing them more rewarding. It's really early to even be talking about now, but yeah, Sly's model isn't great right now. Even in Sly 2 it looks vastly improved. Everything does, really, but we'll get there when we get there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
During that boss battle, can you stall so that the platform falls underneath the frog during the third phase where he chases you and the platforms fall both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
I've never tried that, to be honest. I imagine the game just wouldn't let the platform fall until the boss jumps up again. Even then, if the boss did fall through the phase would probably just reset so you'd end up waiting longer. And yeah, Sly's model... isn't great. I'm recording the later games and wow, it's a pretty big improvement in Sly 2.

Anyway hopefully we'll have an update out soon. I'd like to shoot for weekly updates but Daedalus is pretty busy wrapping up his semester. However, the cool-as-hell @AwrySquare (who you should absolutely follow on Twitter if you're there) has made this for the thread and I'm glad of it.

• Locked thread