Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao their latest news post is an open letter directed at whoever is trolling the poo poo out of them with ddos attacks

Well, you know the old saying, if you pay attention to them they go away, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Did anyone here ever play Endless Ages?

It was one of the first MMOFPSRPGs of it's time, a very quirky game with a use-to-learn skill system including turning into various monsters with unique stats and abilities. It was mostly first person, and had four races, which were humans, girl humans, :frog: s, and crystal golem people. It had a heavy PvP focus, a massive open world to explore and die in, and a grind that makes even modern kMMOs jealous. I remember the frog faction getting all sorts of cool living weapons made of swamp creatures, and it having an amazing starting city before they merged all of them. Player housing was available too, and could be placed anywhere that wasn't a safe zone(city or town), some of them being truly massive. Looking back, I don't think I could play it again(which I can't) after so many years of QOL improvements.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Played this stupid 2D MMO a ridiculous amount, it was surprisingly great. Best way I can describe it is sort of similar to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup but real time, persistent and multiplayer. Sadly the servers are offline because the game's creator has basically given up on it but won't let anyone else host it :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Absurd Revolver posted:

Did anyone here ever play Endless Ages?

It was one of the first MMOFPSRPGs of it's time, a very quirky game with a use-to-learn skill system including turning into various monsters with unique stats and abilities. It was mostly first person, and had four races, which were humans, girl humans, :frog: s, and crystal golem people. It had a heavy PvP focus, a massive open world to explore and die in, and a grind that makes even modern kMMOs jealous. I remember the frog faction getting all sorts of cool living weapons made of swamp creatures, and it having an amazing starting city before they merged all of them. Player housing was available too, and could be placed anywhere that wasn't a safe zone(city or town), some of them being truly massive. Looking back, I don't think I could play it again(which I can't) after so many years of QOL improvements.

This thread amazes me with all of these loving crazy rear end games I've somehow never heard of

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

THE PWNER posted:

This thread amazes me with all of these loving crazy rear end games I've somehow never heard of

I'm not surprised, every attempt since the game's unceremonious death at making a private server has ended in bitter jealousy and ego ruining everything.

As much as I'd like to say I'd hate it in today's MMO market, the PVP did get really crazy at times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grzzyn42da0.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Knight online.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Played this stupid 2D MMO a ridiculous amount, it was surprisingly great. Best way I can describe it is sort of similar to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup but real time, persistent and multiplayer. Sadly the servers are offline because the game's creator has basically given up on it but won't let anyone else host it :(

There needs to be some kind of eminent domain but for your :filez: UN Treaty or something.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I put on my wizard hat and robes.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Aspereta:

'autoing' was a bannable offence (stand next to mob spawn, set book on your spacebar to autoattack, afk)

mobs (including bosses on hour or day long timers) just dropped loot on the ground where they died. First person on the spot got everything.

collision, and no diagonal movement, so crowded towns/swarms of creatures could easily wall you in.

entire country of brazil IP blocked due to the volume of support tickets they generated.

begging for buffs from high level priests (buffing low level characters made them invincible and able to 1shot everything)

but perhaps the most bizarre part of the game was that there was no cap on power. After hitting max level you could spend xp to permanently increase your HP, and the highest level skills consumed 90% health to deal as damage. You couldn't drop yourself below 1%, and the skills had no cooldown, so they essentially became your autoattack. People would hit hundreds of millions of health, and I think a few people were well over a billion by the time I stopped playing.

now, considering all these broke rear end mechanics: high level dungeons had pvp enabled

they changed the games name to Illutia at some point, and there are posts by the devs from 2 days ago. :psyduck:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I think the worst thing I've seen in MMOs was buff bots in DAOC. Buff spells were extremely strong in DAOC. Some buffs had a timer. You cast it, it lasts ten minutes then wears off. Other buffs were in a way permanent. There was a pool of points, Concentration, and certain buff spells required conc to maintain but had no timer. These were the strongest buffs.

People figured out that you could just get another account, level them to max, buff your character like crazy, leave the buffer in a safe spot, then run around loving everyone up. All the sudden your casting was 3x faster and you poo poo damage. After some years, when the game was already declining, Mythic (the company that ran the game) figured out hey maybe put a max range on conc buffs.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

sugar free jazz posted:

I think the worst thing I've seen in MMOs was buff bots in DAOC. Buff spells were extremely strong in DAOC. Some buffs had a timer. You cast it, it lasts ten minutes then wears off. Other buffs were in a way permanent. There was a pool of points, Concentration, and certain buff spells required conc to maintain but had no timer. These were the strongest buffs.

People figured out that you could just get another account, level them to max, buff your character like crazy, leave the buffer in a safe spot, then run around loving everyone up. All the sudden your casting was 3x faster and you poo poo damage. After some years, when the game was already declining, Mythic (the company that ran the game) figured out hey maybe put a max range on conc buffs.

Heh, that reminds me of my buffbot army in Vanguard. A majority of class buffs lasted 1 hour and initially the bonuses were not cumulative, plus some buffs were unique to a class and were highly desired (you could NOT raid without at least one assclown complaining because they were missing 1. bear shaman endurance regen, 2. bloodmage symbiote, or 3. necro meat/orb). About 2 years before the end they completely revamped the buffs and made them cumulative and consolidated them into a single buff per class (some classes used to have 4-10 different individual buffs they had to cast). Up until that point, one of my "projects" was to have a buffbot of every class that could buff on my second account. Prior to the revamp it was just the important ones like the 3 flavors of shaman, druid, necromancer, psionicist, cleric, and bloodmage, then when the revamp was announced I added sorcerer, disciple, ranger, and paladin. I was probably the only guy crazy enough to even bother leveling pally and sorc buffbots, but it was awesome to have raid buffs for group content, farming, and general screwing around.

The buff system also reminds me how out of control equipped effects were. My first main had so much gear with equipped buffs on them that he had around 30 icons permanently plastered across his buff bar. And initially not every equipped effect showed up on the bar so he had a few "hidden" ones. People complained that they had so many EE's they couldn't see their actual buffs. When the devs turned the icons off for EE's, everyone realized that now they didn't know if the EE was working since they couldn't see it (some gear would have to be re-equipped because death/chunking/playing for too long/etc. would cause the buff to expire or the game would not recognize the gear was still equipped) so the devs had to turn the icons back on. In true Vanguard fashion, they ended up turning on ALL the icons, so a lot of the gear that had an EE but were "hidden" now appeared on the buff bar and made it more cluttered.

For example:

Found a screenshot of my first main. Cropped and thumbnailed since it originally spanned the whole drat top of the screen. The left 12 are class/self buffs and civic buffs, both of which have timers, and the 13th one with no timer is a stance buff. Alllllll the rest after that are EE's and they continue right off the drat screen. Along with whatever other class/civic buffs he may have happened to have at that point.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

THE PWNER posted:

Part of it has to do with how the definition of MMORPG has changed over the years. You never really needed the "massively" part and we've since dropped the non-instanced world everyone needs to play in. A handful of games that wouldn't have been considered an MMORPG 10 years ago can now use the name.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Everquest ran for like a year before they realized they had to cap buffs, including things like super high level druid damage shields and enchanter regen.

If you happened across a high level caster (rare) as a lowbie and they buffed you, you could basically solo anything you could damage for about an hour. It was awesome.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sugar free jazz posted:

After I had access to a buff bot, I could never play without one. The funny thing is someone who speced max buffs was a really lovely healer.

In trials I would just keep the bot in the boat while I explored the sea.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Loving Life Partner posted:

EverQuest ... druid damage shields

Is it just me or are EQ-style damage shields another one of those things that modern games just refuse to do? It's always protective bubble shields now, I can't remember the last 'modern' MMO with proper damage shields.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
WoW druids had thorns but they were pretty meaningless (and I think gave threat to the casting druid for a while) and then buffed to have a CD and way more damage until they were removed entirely during one of the expansion-release revamps that Blizzard loves so much.

e: there were also shield spikes and a paladin aura that did the same thing which were cool because tank paladins could level by just pulling a hundred mobs and letting them kill themselves on the damage shields

suuma fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Is it just me or are EQ-style damage shields another one of those things that modern games just refuse to do? It's always protective bubble shields now, I can't remember the last 'modern' MMO with proper damage shields.

That's because damage shields were in DIKU :smuggo:

• Locked thread