Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Zaradis posted:

You've said that to nearly everyone in this thread. At some point you should swallow your goiter of pride and maybe question whether or not EVERYONE ELSE is wrong and you're the only person who is right about anything OR if the opposite could be true. But that goiter is obviously massive, so I don't have much hope in your being able to get it down.

No like you focus on absurd examples to try and prove whatever point you're trying to make, it's laughable. Specifically, you. "Oh but I was fated to make this post lol!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So was there a single action of free will that then determined everything else after it?

God proved?

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

redshirt posted:

You say absurd things!

redshirt posted:

I know the nature of all of reality with certainty because SPACETIME!

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Sorry OP I think you're kind of a fucktard and I don't buy into your fatalist bullshit. If being an existential nihilist gets you through your day, more power to you.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Really this comes down to how time works.

Could Caesar have not crossed the Rubicon?

He thought so, but he was wrong. The whole world is based on the fact he did, and he could have done no other thing.

simultaneity is relative. That means that there is no cosmic clock that blesses an impossibly thin 'present' and makes things past non-real. Because of this we are forced to conclude that we, seemingly in possession of the present, in actuality have the same freedom of action as Caesar did. We are vcr tapes that can watch ourselves, once.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Cabbagepots posted:

Sorry OP I think you're kind of a fucktard and I don't buy into your fatalist bullshit. If being an existential nihilist gets you through your day, more power to you.

lol there's nothing fatalistic about since you or I can have no knowledge of the future and thus events play out as a mystery.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
noooooo i have to have free will because i bootstrapped to success gently caress you got mine

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

redshirt posted:

lol there's nothing fatalistic about since you or I can have no knowledge of the future and thus events play out as a mystery.

The future doesn't actually exist

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Miltank posted:

Lol I'm agreeing with you ya loving sperg lord.

Miltank posted:

We are still free to choose what our own destinies will be. Everything that will happen does happen, but we get to decide our own 'will'

Calvin was very right.

You seem very confused in your "agreement", unless you have entirely changed your mind over the course of this thread.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Placid Marmot posted:

You seem very confused in your "agreement", unless you have entirely changed your mind over the course of this thread.

Your future is happening simultaneously with you past and your present. If you decided to pick up a gun right now and blow yourself away, then that was what you were always going to do and there was no changing it. However, you still had to have decided to do it. If you didn't decide to do it, then it wouldn't have happened and never could have.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

The Duggler posted:

The future doesn't actually exist

It is a social construct :wow:

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Miltank posted:

we get to decide our own 'will'

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
You are not as smart as you think you are.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It's about the way we perceive ourselves subjectively.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014
I had sex last night and she made me wear a condom. Excuse me, I was determined to wear a condom. God drat universe is ruined my orgasm!

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014
Concepts without percepts are empty; percepts without concepts are blind.

Do you understand? I know I didn't say SPACETIME!!! ten times, but just try to take some time and think about what the above sentence means.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
but how can spacetime!! as an arrow of time resolve zeno's paradox hmmm raelly makes u think

*huffs he own farts*

• Locked thread