Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
please stop posting stories of me in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A cool thing about Wojtek is that during the lead up to his agonizing decision to give his dogs away because he didn't have time, (January-February 2014), he spent literally hundreds of hours killing crabs on a beach on WoW, because they had a rare chance to drop a pet. He already had gotten the pet on another character, but if he looted it on his main character he would get a special achievement, meaning anyone who bothered clicking on his achievement page would see that be had earned the "We're gonna need a bigger bag!" achievement. This was very important to him, so much so that he spent several hours a day, every day, killing crabs, even as he was mulling over the decision to get rid of his dogs. Based on his posts in the farming thread, this went on for the entirety of January and most of February, until he finally accomplished this feat on February 21st. Two days later he says he took his dogs to the park and cried about how he couldn't have time for them, and the next day he gave them away.

A few months later, a patch made that achievement accountwide, meaning he would have gotten the achievement from having the crab on another character anyway, rendering all that time even more utterly pointless than it already was.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Tender Bender posted:

A few months later, a patch made that achievement accountwide, meaning he would have gotten the achievement from having the crab on another character anyway, rendering all that time even more utterly pointless than it already was.

yeah but that would involve waiting for a few months. who cares about *snort* real pets and children, i want my loving digital crab and i want it NOW.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tender Bender posted:

A cool thing about Wojtek is that during the lead up to his agonizing decision to give his dogs away because he didn't have time, (January-February 2014), he spent literally hundreds of hours killing crabs on a beach on WoW, because they had a rare chance to drop a pet. He already had gotten the pet on another character, but if he looted it on his main character he would get a special achievement, meaning anyone who bothered clicking on his achievement page would see that be had earned the "We're gonna need a bigger bag!" achievement. This was very important to him, so much so that he spent several hours a day, every day, killing crabs, even as he was mulling over the decision to get rid of his dogs. Based on his posts in the farming thread, this went on for the entirety of January and most of February, until he finally accomplished this feat on February 21st. Two days later he says he took his dogs to the park and cried about how he couldn't have time for them, and the next day he gave them away.

It's just so ironic and sad that he gives his pets in World of Warcraft literally every waking moment and ... he can't find an hour or so out of a day for his real pets :confused:

If that story weren't so thoroughly documented I'd much rather think it's fake :smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

huggin my little black dog crying like a bitch, brb

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The dogs are better off. How about showing a little sympathy for his child?! Sure, his wife is pathetic as poo poo for putting up with that behavior, but his kid didn't ask to have such lovely parents.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes but the kid is going to grow up in the cyberpunk future and he can literally say "I never asked for this"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and then he has the final showdown in The Grid vs his dad the level 2,500 tauren cybervillain

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Wasn't there a goon dad who spent $7000+ on some lovely browser based MMO for teens?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Sammus posted:

Wasn't there a goon dad who spent $7000+ on some lovely browser based MMO for teens?

there are goons who spent $15k on Star Citizen which literally does not exist and probably never will so...yeah, probably

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was little too into WoW for a time there. It was post college when I had a crappy job that was overnights. I still went out when I could but when you sleep during the day it makes socializing a bit of a hassle. Plus what else do you do at 4am? The real failure on my part was I was sitting so much in a bad chair I bruised my tailbone because it was sitting at work and then sitting at home most hours of everyday. The sad thing is I was even running some but the sheer amount of time sitting on my not fat rear end did me in. Took years for that to heal (again because I was stupid and didn't get up enough)

The flip side of that is I actually made some honest friends from it. 2 were coworkers on the same schedule so we were WoW buddies all night every night and I still talk to them. The other was a friend who was 3 time zones behind us we randomly met in the game who we've all hung out with a couple of times when we were in the same area. She was always great because she would usually get on as her kids were going to sleep so there was a lot of "brb putting the kids to bed" and hearing her be all sweet & nice to her kids followed up by her getting back online and threatening to beat one of us with our own limbs if we don't hurry the gently caress up.

We all kinda miss having the hours to sit around shoot the poo poo and "yell" at each other over dumb game nonsense but we all just had enough of it. We've tried to get back into a couple of times but it's such a god drat grind none of us can do it for more than a couple of months.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blackrock/Wojtek/feed

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Even after waves of mocking over Star Citizen there are STILL goons selling their organs so they can donate $10,000+ to some guy's cocaine fund :shepspends:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I once had a guildmate who opted to give up the right to choose the name of his second child in exchange for his wife agreeing not to interfere with his raiding schedule for two weeks.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Being a raid leader in wow was the only thing to ever make me feel such a deep sense of dread in a video game, every time I've done it for any length of time. Time to log onto this game I'm paying for, that I don't want to play, that is bad, and that I know is addictive, because I'll make 20+ other real life people sad if I don't. The people are cool but it also made me really sad seeing everyone else being burnt out or addicted and playing a shitter video game instead of getting their real life in order. Also the parents who'll strap their kid into bed at 8PM, ignore them, and otherwise be neglectful as hell so they can get their sweet vidya fix. Playing with Wojtek (he is literally the biggest spoiled narcissist to ever live) and other parents like him was infuriating.

The worst part of MMOs in general is that for people like me who want a challenge, the challenging parts are what're locked behind the ultra grindy, spergy, poopsocking time requirements where you have an actual unpaid job if you ever want to partake in them.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 1, 2015

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

ahahahaha

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay

Strategic Tea posted:

im permabanned poster orcstomper58. i first started playing wow when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of ganking and tried to do it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "gently caress u noob" and "l2p you horde human being" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing stealthed rogues in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of brutal style of pvp servers was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" nonconsensual pvp to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

lol

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
When The Burning Crusade and Wrath Of the Lich King came out we had a dude who leveled his rogue straight to level cap in a 36-hour binge each time. He looked about like what you would expect.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Tender Bender posted:

Well I mean he already has hundreds of pets he had to get rid of some of his commons.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

bloodsacrifice posted:

Well I mean he already has hundreds of pets he had to get rid of some of his commons.

has he posted since that thread, or has he ascended to full time poop socking and crab loving or whatever?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can play guild wars 2 for like 30 minutes but anything more and the grind just kills me, I don't see how these people can get addicted to an mmo that's such a grind.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i played wow poorly for a summer in high school and then forgot all about it.

i like video games that end, because then you can play something else that's different instead of waiting for the next round of identical quests to come out.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sammus posted:

I remember that story basically the dad ran a mom and pop computer repair store. like people bring you the machine to get spyware off of it etc.

The game was some Korean MMORPG and he kept using the store funds to buy potatoes yes potatoes for his character.

The game even had a limit on how many you could buy in a day thus, he had many alt accounts just to feed his super potatoe habbit.

not sure how that ended though

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Sat my high school sweetheart down and had her watch the WoW collectors editions DVD with me. I win thread, gold ribbon plz

fivethree
Jul 28, 2014

lol

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
wtf is a wow pet and how do you collect 400+ of them?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i had to get new friends because the video game addict introverts i hung with would never go anywhere with me. now they're dead probably and idc. harrowing

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

max4me posted:

I remember that story basically the dad ran a mom and pop computer repair store. like people bring you the machine to get spyware off of it etc.

The game was some Korean MMORPG and he kept using the store funds to buy potatoes yes potatoes for his character.

The game even had a limit on how many you could buy in a day thus, he had many alt accounts just to feed his super potatoe habbit.

not sure how that ended though

The dad is now destitute and dying of some disease and no one in his family has visited him, iirc. :-(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Serrath posted:

wtf is a wow pet and how do you collect 400+ of them?

If your a ranger you go and find a particular animal and dry hump it until it comes home with you p much

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I played an MMO once.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I played too much Runescape and WoW and also Maplestory Rift and Guild wars 2 but not as much.

I didn't want to get addicted and committed to end game content so instead I spent ten thousand hours doing stupid rep grinds and quests and sitting around doing nothing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

If your a ranger you go and find a particular animal and dry hump it until it comes home with you p much

No they added pets any class can have, they're tiny and follow you around and you can make them battle like Pokemon. Those are the ones wojtek has hundreds of. He has zero hunter pets or irl pets.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

You can literally click on that feed at any time and he will have played within the last two hours.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

natetimm posted:

When The Burning Crusade and Wrath Of the Lich King came out we had a dude who leveled his rogue straight to level cap in a 36-hour binge each time. He looked about like what you would expect.
There was a rogue on the Garithos server who looked like he would be the first to hit 70, but when he was level 69 he dissappeared for over a week. When he logged back in he said he had been leaving his window wide open (in the dead of winter) so that the cold would keep him awake. He passed out in his freezing room after almost two straight days of gaming and woke up in the hospital.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

You can literally click on that feed at any time and he will have played within the last two hours.

tested this theory, confirmed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
completed wasted life achievement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Thunderbro posted:

Being a raid leader in wow was the only thing to ever make me feel such a deep sense of dread in a video game, every time I've done it for any length of time. Time to log onto this game I'm paying for, that I don't want to play, that is bad, and that I know is addictive, because I'll make 20+ other real life people sad if I don't. The people are cool but it also made me really sad seeing everyone else being burnt out or addicted and playing a shitter video game instead of getting their real life in order. Also the parents who'll strap their kid into bed at 8PM, ignore them, and otherwise be neglectful as hell so they can get their sweet vidya fix. Playing with Wojtek (he is literally the biggest spoiled narcissist to ever live) and other parents like him was infuriating.

The worst part of MMOs in general is that for people like me who want a challenge, the challenging parts are what're locked behind the ultra grindy, spergy, poopsocking time requirements where you have an actual unpaid job if you ever want to partake in them.

Eve FC-ing can be somewhat better. I (vaguely) remember offering to FC in a militia fleet, getting blackout drunk in the process, then losing several billion spacebux of other peoples' money because I called a bail while too drunk to realise we had capitals on field. Good times.

• Locked thread