Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mad Monk posted:

Why would anyone want to do this? The result is going to be "Hey I made mead, anyone want some?" "No!"

tradition. everyone makes it at home here, everyone. you can buy sima (read: mead) made with that recipe from the store. you can buy it from coffee shops. it's a national drink, specifically made with that recipe. it's only mostly served on mayday, but a lot of people make it all year round.

i guess honey got expensive at some point and we just thought hey, gently caress it, tastes close enough with brown sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
"duuuh let's make a nest for bacteria and throw half a tablespoon of baker's yeast in it, thats bound to be a hit!!! but dont wait too long or it tastes like poo poo, unlike every proper alcholic drink on earth" - a retarded north man

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Son of Rodney posted:

in germany we have the reinheitsgebot which says that beer is exactly:

water
hops
malt

and thats it

It's the worst beer law I've heard of and I grew up in the southern united states.

Bavaria instituted it because they wanted to keep brewers from using all the drat wheat and rye and then inflicted it on the rest of Germany during the unification to prevent competition from neighboring states from ruining their brewers.

These guys didn't even know what a yeast was which is why they amended it years later to include yeast lmbo

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

tripwood posted:

"duuuh let's make a nest for bacteria and throw half a tablespoon of baker's yeast in it, thats bound to be a hit!!! but dont wait too long or it tastes like poo poo, unlike every proper alcholic drink on earth" - a retarded north man

don't knock it till you try it! it's really fresh and full of flavour. you can easily ferment it to about 3-4 % alcohol, but above that will taste worse and worse. the point of the fermentation in this is to make it sparkly, not so much to add alcohol altho it does give it more taste.

you don't have to change the recipe much to get higher alcohol percentage. yeast made specifically for brewing and a slower fermenting process.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 27, 2015

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's the worst beer law I've heard of and I grew up in the southern united states.

Bavaria instituted it because they wanted to keep brewers from using all the drat wheat and rye and then inflicted it on the rest of Germany during the unification to prevent competition from neighboring states from ruining their brewers.

These guys didn't even know what a yeast was which is why they amended it years later to include yeast lmbo

so appearantly they added yeast to that list, also I didnt know about wheat not being allowed

weird how I never got the connection

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does yeast even count as a beer ingredient? It's like the outside agent of fermentation. As soon as it is done eating the sugar it settles to the bottom and/or gets filtered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GORDON posted:

Does yeast even count as a beer ingredient? It's like the outside agent of fermentation. As soon as it is done eating the sugar it settles to the bottom and/or gets filtered out.

You're going to get a small amount in the finished product, at least in craft beer.

• Locked thread