Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Kgummy posted:

The dialog implies that they're fragile because of it, but Markei somehow survived a bomb explosion that caused a chain reaction. And then somehow got onto a ship that was in the air. I'd say it was some sort of small boarding craft, but there was no hint that such a thing even existed.

Actually, a key thing to note is that after the escape, Markei is never actually inside the ship. After he exits inside the hanger, we see him dive at something, as the explosion happens. The next time he turns up, it's to grab Vella on the outside of the ship. Remember, the ship escapes the destruction of the Red Hanger just fine. The takeaway is that Markei is diving for the ship as it leaves, where he hitches a ride. Once Vella exits the ship at the very end, he seizes his opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I said onto, not inside. The platform that Shay jumps from came out of the ship he was on. He was jumping from the melting down ship to the slightly less 'going to kill those on it' ship. Both of these ships are still in the air.

As far as I can tell, everyone besides Shay that was on the older ship made it down to the rock side before Shay made his failed jump. Considering they seem to be looking up at Shay. The only place that really makes sense for the jump points to be on is at the top of the ships. Sure, they're outside, but they're still in the air a good distance, not counting the chasm. Considering that the bridge required both ships to melt and make it, it pretty much has to be ship to ship.

My complaint is more Markei, brought fragile because of the lack of 'impurities', survives near point blank bomb explosion that it was a big concern that would destroy the ship and was capable of starting off a large chain reaction of explosions. Solely to ride an unseen small ship and get punched out. He gets defeated in what would presumably be death, and survives... to get beaten. He's basically shoved off in a corner to not interfere until the final scene.

And now that I think about it, there is a character that could have fit Markei's kind of forced role in being Vella's punching bag: The guy that Vella taunts in the finale with "I'm going to ruin your stupid plans". Hell, the original plans could have had him being the one in that role, except Markei was the only one set up to be animated in a non-talking portrait manner. It feels like something should have happened with the non-Markei crystal heads.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Where are you getting this "unseen small ship"?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Captain Bravo posted:

Where are you getting this "unseen small ship"?

I think he's just assuming that Marek would need some sort of transportation to get all the way from inside the red hanger where the bomb went off to whatever part of Shay's ship Vella was standing on during that sequence. The camera blocking during that whole end sequence is confusing in terms of where everyone is standing and how they got there but I'm willing to give it a pass because who cares, Vella got to punch the crap out of Marek.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Again, though, I think the game is trying to suggest that Marek leaps onto Shay's ship as it's leaving the hanger, and rides it out as the hanger blows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, the way Shay and Vella were able to coordinate their efforts without outwardly communicating was weird. I'd like to think they had some sort of mental connection that develops throughout the game and they give each other hints, but that's reaching to an extreme degree.

I actually don't think it's reaching at all. The whole point of sending Shay out, so says the Thrushmaster, is he and Vella have this connection to each other, which he believes is going to be vital to the genetic matrix or whatever.

But in theory when you're replaying this game you're not gated to Vella's puzzle solutions by having to have seen them as Shay, or vice versa.

At least I'm assuming that's the case.

Actually establishing there's some kind of psychic link there, through visuals or even gameplay mechanics like Sword and Sworcery's Megatome, would have been kind of cool.

• Locked thread