Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this the best thing ever?
Yes
gently caress yes
It's up there
I'm gay
View Results

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I seem to recall hearing rumblings about Malki Kawa back when he popped for coke, but it might have been hearsay or someone else entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

tesilential posted:

jones lost a ton of fans back when he bragged about being a snitch, how perfect that he went down for not only drugs but being a general piece of poo poo as well. he's finally exposed. still i feel bad for enjoying someone's suffering so much. it would have been way cooler if AJ just knocked him out instead.

i wouldn't feel too bad. jones is a poo poo person reaping the wages of being a poo poo person. he's not an otherwise innocuous person who did something dumb on a singular occasion. i'd only feel bad for the people he affects on the way. hopefully his wife can get a good settlement out of him.

quote:

He has a history of drug use, a felony at least upcoming, and is an easy mark for a prosecutor looking to make a name. He also injured someone. He could end up doing anything from a year to nothing depending on the DA.

after doing a year of criminal law i can tell you that it is incredible how much clemency a court will show, if viewed in a vacuum. in practice, they deal with many people with insane histories of minor infractions, so they won't send someone to prison that easily.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 1, 2015

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Jones is not getting locked up. At worst he'll get 90 days and will end up doing 30-45, but I doubt it. He's going to get fined and put on probation, made to pay restitution to the lady he hit, probably some community service, probably lose his license for a bit, and the judge is going to give him a stern talking to in front of the cameras.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dangersim posted:

Jones is not getting locked up. At worst he'll get 90 days and will end up doing 30-45, but I doubt it. He's going to get fined and put on probation, made to pay restitution to the lady he hit, probably some community service, probably lose his license for a bit, and the judge is going to give him a stern talking to in front of the cameras.

Bingo. Because this is exactly the same thing that happens to anyone with the right amount of money in this type of situation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

will end up doing 30-45, but I doubt it.

Only when they start docking points for the drat eye pokes.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
[confidently] Jon Jones is definitely 100% not going to prison, unless he does.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Everyone keep saying that Jon Jones will face no serious repercussions, because everyone kept saying he'd keep the belt and the fight would still be on and then magic happened

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jon Jones will be thrown into the heart of the Supermax Prison, never to return.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't think they would keep the fight on. It would be a PR nightmare. He forced the UFC's hand.

However, it's pretty easy to say that he's going to get a token punishment because that is almost always what happens when someone of his status gets into a relatively minor incident like this. If he was a broke guy with a public defender he'd get more almost certainly, but he's not going to get any severe punishment from this.

Now, I'm not trying to dismiss what he did. I'm still hosed up from a wreck two months ago where someone ran a red light and totaled my car. Jon Jones deserves every bit of ire he gets from this. However, the legal system isn't really fair and with enough money you can get away with all but the most heinous things with relatively minor punishments. Minor in this case of probably the maximum fine, a few million to the woman he hosed up, probably a year or two probation, and some substance abuse counseling.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Triticum Guzzler posted:

This is a country where judges are elected nothing is certain

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neurosis posted:

This is a country where judges are elected nothing is certain

Judges are elected in a lot of ways, but NM's system is a hybrid system that uses appointments and elections in conjunction.

quote:

The New Mexico judiciary consists of a supreme court, a court of appeals, a district court, and various trial courts of limited jurisdiction. New Mexico judges were originally chosen in partisan elections, but in 1988, voters approved a constitutional amendment creating a hybrid system of judicial selection that includes merit selection, partisan elections, and retention elections. When a judicial vacancy occurs, the appropriate nominating commission recommends qualified candidates to the governor, and the governor makes an appointment. At the next general election, a contested partisan election is held to fill the seat for the remainder of the term. The successful candidate runs in retention elections thereafter. The threshold for retention is higher in New Mexico than in most other states; judges must receive at least 57% in affirmative votes to be retained.

To add to that, judges are very restricted in what they can and cannot do when running for a position unlike standard politicians. The SCOTUS just upheld a rule from Florida that mirrors the ABA's model rules for judicial conduct that judges cannot directly solicit for donations from anyone.

While there are some shitheads like Roy Moore in Alabama, not all judicial elections are a bad thing.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

He will probably go to jail, but not prison. He'd have to get several years before he got sent to prison.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Guilty of one count of driving under the influence, one count of fleeing the scene of an accident, one count of felonious injury and fives counts of swagger jacking which entailed damage to a rival's brand.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Jon Jones is going to get sent to a Riddick prison where he has to fight ailen dogs for the rest of his life.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
They're gonna lynch Jones the same time Sherriff Joe finally lynches Obama for impersonating an American and trying to bring sharia law to this country just you watch the Lizardmen have ordained it

cams
Mar 28, 2003

so i did some googling to see how long career mode lasts... if i win the belt, it's over?

that is loving hilarious

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

cams posted:

so i did some googling to see how long career mode lasts... if i win the belt, it's over?

that is loving hilarious

no you get to defend it a few times then you get the ending cutscene where you run a red light and destroy a pregnant woman's car (and your life)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stupid Jones, he selected a 1 on 1 deathmatch in GTA Online.

• Locked thread