Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
I'm gonna get you, Penguin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'll still watch the Water Boy whenever I see it playing on TV late at night, I think that was the last Sandler movie that made me smile.

Also I think Faruza Balk would give you some VD if you hosed her, but the kind antibiotics could clear up, so I'd go in unwrapped

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsXJlylRvs

e and apparently this clip doesn't have adam sandler in it

get hosed op

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 29, 2015

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I thought longest yard was ok, and 50 first dates. Maybe circa 2005 is when things went south.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Adam Sandler used to be.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bp6UBHPPJI

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's called growing up, op

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Angry Hippo posted:

Little Nicky was decent and I refuse to entertain any opinions to the contrary.

This. After years of reflection I have concluded that this is mostly due to a really strong supporting cast and the script treating Sandler like the barely functional retard that he is in real life.

Also Joe Dirt is another fine film. Really I would take this as evidence that nobody making these movies gives two filthy fucks that with a decent concept for a movie and a director who actually gives two fucks about developing that concept you can get something that isn't a gigantic pile of poo poo out of these professionally unfunny people.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Reign Over Me was really hilarious. He should do more comedies with Don Cheadle

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SaltLick posted:

i remember listening to his comedy CDs and laughing

gently caress ME IN THE GOAT rear end - a thing that made young me laugh

Booblord Zagats posted:

Also I think Faruza Balk would give you some VD if you hosed her, but the kind antibiotics could clear up, so I'd go in unwrapped

right totally worth it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
how many time have i made the joke that his movies now are like the fake terrible movies in Funny People

WELP I'M DOIN' IT AGAIN THEY"RE JUST AWFUL, GUYS

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

reignofevil posted:

This. After years of reflection I have concluded that this is mostly due to a really strong supporting cast and the script treating Sandler like the barely functional retard that he is in real life.

I watched billy Madison recently remembering it fondly

It was still ridiculously funny with the exception of any time Sandler was the focus of the scene aside from "lady you're scaring us" and "more like bore-ophyll"

Billy Madison has an incredible supporting cast holding up a dud of a main character and lead actor

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

how many time have i made the joke that his movies now are like the fake terrible movies in Funny People

WELP I'M DOIN' IT AGAIN THEY"RE JUST AWFUL, GUYS

yeah but that was just 3 hours of torture, this dude is going on two decades of making lovely movies for no one

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the running joke with him getting bullied by various members of the same family while going from grade to grade was amusing

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Mr. Deeds is enjoyable only for Turturro and Buscemi. Otherwise it's wish fulfillment that rings more hollow than OP's mother's echochamber vagingo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Free Market Mambo posted:

Mr. Deeds is enjoyable only for Turturro and Buscemi. Otherwise it's wish fulfillment that rings more hollow than OP's mother's echochamber vagingo

This is a piping hot take

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Monkey Fracas posted:

the running joke with him getting bullied by various members of the same family while going from grade to grade was amusing

I think the bullies were really funny but I don't remember anything that funny about his reaction to them aside from setting up the car going off the cliff

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr. Deeds is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Wicker Man posted:

Did Adam Sandler have a schtick that was outside of playing as an angry misanthrope that curses a lot?

He used to box under the pseudonym "Don Flamenco"

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Back before SNL Rob Schneider used to do a stand up bit about Priscilla Presley's autobiography that was reasonably funny. Or so I thought when I was fourteen. That's all I got regarding Rob Schneider.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

raditts posted:

He used to box under the pseudonym "Don Flamenco"

lol

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

i think a lot of it has to do with he ran all his own jokes/characters into the ground with the same character archetype in every movie he makes and also we are all a lot older and want cynical dry humor and not wacky hijinks. thanks for reading

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

i think a lot of it has to do with he ran all his own jokes/characters into the ground with the same character archetype in every movie he makes and also we are all a lot older and want cynical dry humor and not wacky hijinks. thanks for reading

Serious past for a second. Because lots of kids these days grew up with irony they don't understand good ole fashioned fun.

Like they don't even get why South Park is funny, they only know about the object of ridicule by way of South Park

Look upon niggerballz89 (or whoever) and despair

How can you own a schengger soundboard but never saw true lies? Shameful

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

the world is a miserable harsh mistress and hasn't been fun since 9/11

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

the world is a miserable harsh mistress and hasn't been fun since 9/11

9/11 was the result of gamethoery. Bin laden was showing he was a credible threat. The signal to noise ratio of the Intel gathered by intelligence services failed to prevent anything because they were inundated with information and because they were overconfident. Computer risk assessments solve everything!

Jet juel does melt steal bars. I remember my grandpa, a former delta pilot, telling me that the force, mass, and combustible nature of a mostly full commercial airplane is more than enough to compromise the integrity of the steal beams which supported the towers.

gently caress you

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mr. Unlucky posted:

adam sandler and eddie murphy both started off huge then decided to do nothing for the entire rest of their career wtf

it pays good

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

That cocknballs skit is straight fy tho.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a really good movie because Adam Sandler did not write or direct it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Even at their least bad an Adam Sandler movie will have like a third of its jokes be funny and the rest mere non-entities rather than actively UNfunny. So no, Adam Sandler and his cohort really didn't used to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

raditts posted:

I liked that all the money eventually went to the only character in the movie anybody cared about. It was like he won some kind of best supporting actor award and so they rewrote the script and gave him all the money.

• Locked thread