Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
With the whole summer thing coming up, this place could really use a salad thread!
They're generally quick to make and there seldom is a stove required. Also, they're extremely versatile and you can
eat them every day without developing scurvy. So, what's not to like?

Basic salads consist of veggies, toppings and a dressing, you can choose whatever you like
within these categories, just like you're assembling your favorite subway sandwich.

the veggies:
salad leaves
raw spinach
tomatoes
carrots
spring onions
chicory
radishes
basically every vegetable that is nice to eat raw

toppings:
meat (eg bacon)
fish (eg smoked salmon)
cheese (eg feta)
nuts
fruit
grilled veggies (more veggies!)

dressings:
basic vinaigrette is 3 parts oil, 1 parts vinegar, salt and pepper. Shake or stir well.
this is good as it is, but it can be the basis of endless variations, for example:
add honey and mustard
or herbs
or jam
or make it asian by adding soy sauce, garlic, a bit of sugar and a tiny bit of sesame oil
etcetera.
For a creamy dressing, you can add something like mayo, tahini or yoghurt.
want spice? Add red pepperflakes or chipotle in adobo.
It really doesn't matter, as long as you give it a taste before throwing it all over your salad.

If you're not into making something up, the internet is full of classic salad recipes,
like Ceasar salad (purée minced garlic and anchovies, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and 1 egg yolk.
with the machine running, slowly add 1/4 cup olive oil. Toss with romaine, top with Parmesan and croutons).
or a simple but delicious Caprese (tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_salads

Let the summer begin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made a delicious tomato salad this weekend. It had Campari tomatoes, diced onion, fresh mozzarella, avocado, cilantro, and orange bell pepper. I made a simple dressing of sour cream, mayo, apple cider vinegar, salt, a pinch of sugar, and lots of black pepper. It was a real crowd pleaser and went beautifully as a topping on the sandwich I ate for lunch the following day!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Midniter posted:

I made a delicious tomato salad this weekend. It had Campari tomatoes, diced onion, fresh mozzarella, avocado, cilantro, and orange bell pepper. I made a simple dressing of sour cream, mayo, apple cider vinegar, salt, a pinch of sugar, and lots of black pepper. It was a real crowd pleaser and went beautifully as a topping on the sandwich I ate for lunch the following day!

I had to google "Campari tomatoes", they sound wonderful!!
My tomato choices are pretty limited: we have "tomatoes", which are round, red and watery, cherry tomatoes (which I think are too sour, but they are nice to grill or dry in the oven), roma tomatoes (great stuff), supermarket invented "taste tomatoes"(?) and sometimes I can get my hands on a coeur de boeuf :-)
maybe I should grow my own varieties.

oh, and I love leftovers for lunch as well!!

Got an aubergine/eggplant, which I do not remember buying...ehm...ever, so that will be interesting. It will be grilled (not sure if the first half will become a salad topping, though, because I need to try out the earlier linked besam puda recipe from Dino right now).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Just made some nice traditional sausage salad:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

tonberrytoby posted:

what dressing did you use?
Nice pretzel btw!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
No pictures, but I love a spinach and red pepper salad topped with prosciutto and whole grain mustard/olive oil dressing. Pretty much my go-to salad.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Sounds great!
I'm especially a fan of using spinach instead of salad leaves. Such a nice structure.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

paraquat posted:

what dressing did you use?
Nice pretzel btw!
Equal parts of chicken stock and olive oil. With a lot of paprike, some caraway and some pepper. The pickles contain enough vinegar for my taste. If I didn't have to work tomorrow I would have added a bit of crushed garlic, too.

The pretzel is from Aldi.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Great, thanks! I understand the caraway, didn't think of it myself, but I can
almost taste it now ...

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I just had this spinach, date, and almond salad along with falafel, hummus, and pita bread for lunch. Really can't recommend it highly enough!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Esme posted:

I just had this spinach, date, and almond salad along with falafel, hummus, and pita bread for lunch. Really can't recommend it highly enough!

Ooh, this with a bit of feta on top would be heaven.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Esme posted:

Thanks for the link, that will be my next salad!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The best salad:

1 can of four-bean mix
1 red onion (chopped)
Olive oil (just a little bit)
Balsamic vinegar (as much as you think is good)

Throw all those things in a bowl and mix them up.

The best worst salad:

Crab stick
Celery
Mayonnaise

Don't overdo the mayonnaise though, this "salad" is mostly just an excuse to eat a whole lot of crab stick, because people will look at you funny if you just eat it by itself. A little bit of mayonnaise is nice, but it's not the point. It should go without saying that the celery is vital, as it successfully disguises this "food" as a salad, but again, you don't want too much of it because it's stringy, watery garbage getting in the way of your fake crab.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Marinated/pickled artichoke hearts, cut into slices
feta
toasted pine nuts
diced semi dried tomatoes
baby rocket leaves (arugula)
sliced kalamata olives
diced red/spanish onion
vinegar, olive oil, s&p

optional chilli, proscuitto

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Tiggum posted:

The best worst salad:
Crab stick
Celery
Mayonnaise

Don't overdo the mayonnaise though, this "salad" is mostly just an excuse to eat a whole lot of crab stick, because people will look at you funny if you just eat it by itself. A little bit of mayonnaise is nice, but it's not the point. It should go without saying that the celery is vital, as it successfully disguises this "food" as a salad, but again, you don't want too much of it because it's stringy, watery garbage getting in the way of your fake crab.

It reminds me of a dish in a local tapas restaurant that I loved, so I used to make it at home a lot as well (as it wasn't hard to figure out how they made it)
Surimi with dill-lemon mayonnaise
cut crabsticks lengthwise with a knife or use to forks, they should all become thin strips
mix mayo, lemonjuice, dill, salt and pepper.
mix the crabsticks with the sauce and serve with baguette slices

(if I would make it now, I would probably thin the mayo down with part lemonjuice, part white wine)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Esme posted:

Made the salad this evening, thanks again for the link!
It was really nice, will definitely make it again, the tastes and structures really complimented each other and even after reading the recipe, the eating part was very surprising.
Also, the making part is incredibly easy, which is one of the nice things of salads, I think.
Will need to open my ottolenghi book again one of these days, as I wasn't impressed by him before, but this was great

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

paraquat posted:

Made the salad this evening, thanks again for the link!
It was really nice, will definitely make it again, the tastes and structures really complimented each other and even after reading the recipe, the eating part was very surprising.
Also, the making part is incredibly easy, which is one of the nice things of salads, I think.
Will need to open my ottolenghi book again one of these days, as I wasn't impressed by him before, but this was great

I agree - this salad is more than the sum of its parts, which is one of those things that salads can do really well!

And I just got that book on the recommendation of someone in this forum! So far about half the recipes I've made have been great, and the other half just okay. Still worth it imo.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

tonberrytoby posted:

Looking good, if a little on the swiss side with the cheese. What cheese is that? I always do mune with onions and dicrled gerkin and no cheese apparently that is out bavarian way.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
My go-to salad is is a shredded carrot & cucumber thing with an olive oil / vinegar / pressed garlic / mustard / s&p dressing.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
cucumbers and tomatos with rice wine vinegar dressing boneapatite!!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hopper posted:

Looking good, if a little on the swiss side with the cheese. What cheese is that? I always do mune with onions and dicrled gerkin and no cheese apparently that is out bavarian way.
This is a local cheese that is very similar to Edammer. I often use stronger cheeses, like Apenzeller.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Can I get a bunch of protein suggestions for salad. I'm lazy and it's pretty much all I eat, but I don't have meat handy all that often, particularly in the morning while I"m making lunch salads.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

social vegan posted:

Can I get a bunch of protein suggestions for salad. I'm lazy and it's pretty much all I eat, but I don't have meat handy all that often, particularly in the morning while I"m making lunch salads.

I like to add some soybeans to salads, just a handfull.
But you could go for a serious bean salad....proteins and fibers, what more does a person want!
https://www.google.nl/search?q=bean+salad&oq=bean+salad&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2190j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Anyway, maybe someone else will have additional suggestions for proteins other than meat and beans.

oh, you can stick some eggs in your salad as well, of course.

oooh, and nuts of course!

some internet searching also tells this:

cheese *can* be a good source of protein.
quote:"Low or Non Fat Mozzarella and Cottage Cheese provide the most protein per calorie, full fat cheeses typically only provide 1g protein per 20 calories, and are less optimal sources of protein"

Also, tofu (never had that in a salad myself, but the internet is full of recipes)

And ehm...quinoa. lol.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 12, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can't recommend cubed, roasted tofu enough. Make sure the tofu is pressed and drained of as much excess water as possible. Cut into 1/2" cubes and toss with salt, pepper, and a little bit of a neutral oil like canola. Roast at 400 for about 20 minutes or until the cubes take on a golden brown hue. It helps to flip/shake the pan halfway through for even cooking. After roasted, they take on a delicious, meaty texture with a chewy/crisp outer crust.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Midniter posted:

I can't recommend cubed, roasted tofu enough. Make sure the tofu is pressed and drained of as much excess water as possible. Cut into 1/2" cubes and toss with salt, pepper, and a little bit of a neutral oil like canola. Roast at 400 for about 20 minutes or until the cubes take on a golden brown hue. It helps to flip/shake the pan halfway through for even cooking. After roasted, they take on a delicious, meaty texture with a chewy/crisp outer crust.

That's cool....after this weekend, I'm going to give tofu one last chance!
(other than silken tofu in mapo tofu (and inari, lol), I've never had any luck with it. It keeps tasting bad, whatever I try! But this sounds like it needs to be given a shot)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

paraquat posted:

That's cool....after this weekend, I'm going to give tofu one last chance!
(other than silken tofu in mapo tofu (and inari, lol), I've never had any luck with it. It keeps tasting bad, whatever I try! But this sounds like it needs to be given a shot)

Good!

Use extra firm tofu. I've used softer varieties and the cubes just don't hold together as well.

Also make sure you use enough oil. Not TOO much but you want to make sure that all sides are covered equally when you roast it, just like you would with any roasted veggie.

Post your results!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

The Midniter posted:

Post your results!
Please this. We made a deep fried tofu salad in school and I haven't seen anything else go so fast when we put it on the buffet. Looking for something a bit healthier and this sounds perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Midniter posted:

Good!

Use extra firm tofu. I've used softer varieties and the cubes just don't hold together as well.

Also make sure you use enough oil. Not TOO much but you want to make sure that all sides are covered equally when you roast it, just like you would with any roasted veggie.

Post your results!

Will do!

• Locked thread