Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress Detroit, Right?
Yes
Yep
Yup
OH HELL YEAH *SLAMS BEERS*
View Results

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

AsInHowe posted:

Playoff series won with Steve Yzerman in the front office in four years: 10
Playoff series won without Yzerman for five years: 2

with/without Nicklas Lidstrom on the ice is probably a more accurate way to frame this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Eric the Mauve posted:

with/without Nicklas Lidstrom on the ice is probably a more accurate way to frame this

His candidacy for "Best defenseman to ever live" only grows stronger when you look at what this team looks like without him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lidstrom has a good argument to be considered the GOAT at any position in my humble opinion

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Dattserberg posted:

wonderllama is a cool dude because he lives in Florida and actually gives a poo poo about hockey; a rarity in that hellhole.

I live here too.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I lived in tampa for 6 months during their cup run, therefore my second favorite team is TB.

I lived in Florida for 9 years and have been to many Panthers games. The people in attendance are usually pretty clueless about hockey and only interested when their team is good. I find it really hard to like their teams, but like Neo said, Stevie Y and Fil are pretty cool dudes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dattserberg posted:

I lived in Florida for 9 years and have been to many Panthers games. The people in attendance are usually pretty clueless about hockey and only interested when their team is good. I find it really hard to like their teams, but like Neo said, Stevie Y and Fil are pretty cool dudes.

stevie Y is the reason I wear the #19 in my beer leagues

:swoon:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dattserberg posted:

Sounds just like people in Pittsburgh to me :shrug:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lidstrom has a good argument to be considered the GOAT at any position in my humble opinion
He's an all time great but that's insane.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
you can live in and/or lived in Florida but you also gots to be cool. like me. cool poster wonderllama. furthermore, I also have a dirt bike. probably. as far as you know.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or, to frame it even more accurately, here's the Stanley Cup engraving from 2008.

Here's who the Red Wings have lost from that team, in some major way.

- Steve Yzerman
- Scotty Bowman
- Nicklas Lidstrom
- Valtteri Filppula
- Jiri Hudler
- Johan Franzen
- Chris Osgood
- Dominik Hasek

The front office lost one of the top GM's in hockey (Stevie) and one of the greatest hockey minds ever (Scotty). The defense lost the greatest defensive defenseman of all-time (Lidstrom). Bad free agency priorities lost Filppula and Hudler, and lost Hossa (who came in 2009). Bad injury luck lost Franzen, effectively. Retirement lost one of the greatest goalies ever (Hasek) and a HOF'er or close to it (Osgood).

Ken Holland, on his own, seems to be taking on water. Things were easier when you had a stacked front office, including Jim Devellano, on board with everything. Now, it's just Ken and Mike, who are at odds with each other. The talent level was not replenished to full capacity in any sector of the organization.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

you can live in and/or lived in Florida but you also gots to be cool. like me. cool poster wonderllama. furthermore, I also have a dirt bike. probably. as far as you know.

Yea, well I currently live in Tampa. :getin:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

vyst posted:

New Tampa is... a place that exists. I swear.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

curiousCat posted:

New Tampa is... a place that exists. I swear.

I actually live there, but I never call it that because it's pretentious as gently caress. I just say north tampa.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

vyst posted:

dirt bike status?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

dirt bike status?

I have a bike I take on dirt trails? But it requires human power.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

and a HOF'er or close to it (Osgood).
:clegg:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

400+ wins, three Stanley Cups, two cups as a starter. Not a bad resume. Also, scored a goal and the last goalie to wear the helmet/cage mask.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Say what you will about Ozzie, he should've won the Conn Smythe in '08

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

400+ wins, three Stanley Cups, two cups as a starter. Not a bad resume. Also, scored a goal and the last goalie to wear the helmet/cage mask.
There are some inexplicable Hall of Fame choices already but he'd be the worst by a million miles.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

No.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dandy Kaiser posted:

One Lidstrom goal away from winning it in '09. :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If he doesn't replace Hasek, they lose in the first round to Nashville. 3 shutouts, one of 3 goalies that postseason to post a .930+ sv%, won his first like 9 starts. Hate him all you want for all the mediocre poo poo he's done in the past, be he was excellent that playoff and it was the best hockey he's ever played by a wide margin.

I'm the furthest thing from an Osgood apologist, but he was the most important player to the Red Wings in that playoff year. They do not win the cup without him at all.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 30, 2015

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

If he doesn't replace Hasek, they lose in the first round to Nashville. 2 shutouts, one of 4 goalies that postseason to post a .925+ sv%, won his first like 9 starts. Hate him all you want for all the mediocre poo poo he's done in the past, be he was excellent that playoff and it was the best hockey he's ever played by a wide margin.
That doesn't sound like an actual reason to have him over Zetterberg or Lidstrom. Saying he was one of the top 4 goalies by save percentage that year especially seems like a weird way to frame his as the Playoff MVP.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

That doesn't sound like an actual reason to have him over Zetterberg or Lidstrom. Saying he was one of the top 4 goalies by save percentage that year especially seems like a weird way to frame his as the Playoff MVP.

The Wings had 3 players with double digit goals, and if Franzen wasn't hurt in the WCF, he would've been the 3rd forward with 20+ points and could've outscored Hank. Zetterberg had a great playoff but he was not the Wings MVP, it was most definitely Ozzie.

Honestly, if any skater was the Wings MVP, it was Franzen, He literally outscored Colorado by himself

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

The Wings had 3 players with double digit goals, and if Franzen wasn't hurt in the WCF, he would've been the 3rd forward with 20+ points and could've outscored Hank. Zetterberg had a great playoff but he was not the Wings MVP, it was most definitely Ozzie.
Having other forwards do well does not make Zetterberg less valuable. I also don't think they're SOL without Osgood. It seems like the thing people always say about goalies, because people imagine a scenario where they're replaced by an empty net or Vesa Toskala. At the time they moved out Hasek he was coming off a better season than Osgood had, a very good playoffs the year before, had 2 very good games and 2 poor games and Detroit was tied in the series but still clearly the superior team before being replaced and never seeing the ice again as Osgood performed well. Not the biggest stretch in the world that he plays reasonably well the rest of the way, and if so they still likely win the Cup.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Honestly, if any skater was the Wings MVP, it was Franzen, He literally outscored Colorado by himself
Zetterberg was better offensively and defensively and played every game for them. Why it would go to Franzen for his work in the most one-sided series they played in?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

At the time they moved out Hasek he was coming off a better season than Osgood had

This is just flat out not true, they split starts the entire season, Osgood's was a bit better and he was stronger down the stretch in the games he started. Many people thought he should've been starting in the playoffs from the jump. Hasek posted a .902 in 07-08 and that was the first year he really began to drop off. He was propped up by the team in front of him for 41 starts and it was pretty apparent through the 4 games he started that he'd reached the end of his rope. He could've been carried through the playoffs, but it's equally as, if not more, likely that he would've just been not good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I think the argument is stronger for Osgood in 09, honestly. Dude was awesome that year.

• Locked thread