Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

In Korea they have these street grilled cheese sandwiches. They use a thin slice of low quality deli ham, American cheese, eggs with corn, and some kind of sweet spread. Maybe more of a breakfast sandwich technically. They cost about a dollar and I always got one getting on or off the subway. I have tried several times to replicate the taste but failed.

I remember these, loving good.

God I miss Korean street food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My George Foreman Panini Press is better than my more expensive Italian panini press. It gets hotter and has the mass to really make a good panini.

#thuglife

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sounds like a TKO

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Grilled cheese makes me :gonk: nowadays. Might have to do with hearing a story of how an acquaintance mentioned that their family's version of grilled cheese was just placing processed cheese slices on untoasted bread and microwaving it. His parents didn't like toast and thought hot sandwiches were odd or some poo poo. He supposedly didn't have a proper grilled cheese until he was friggin' 14.

Buy some good cheese and toast your loving sandwich. Simple enough if you want a grilled cheese that isn't awful.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

Wait - what was frying again? I thought that fried food went into a fryer, and then got fried, where as griddled food was made on something flat, but grilled food could be made in an oven, or on a grill?

Do you bake your chicken in the oven - or is baking reserved for breads? http://youtu.be/ymdssZOAx3Q

You are confusing me

Cooking bread in the oven is baking it. Cooking chicken in the oven is roasting it. Broasting, which sounds similar, is actually pressure frying. It's pretty simple.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Yo, dont' be hatin. white bread and kraft cheese singles got me and my room mate through our freshman year of college.

St. George Foreman, pray for us.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
you can take the craft cheese singles but use a tortilla instead of bread to make a grilled cheese with a latin kick!!

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.
Jewish rye, sharp cheddar, yellow mustard, a few thin slices of hard salami.

Putting pickles on a grilled cheese is a recipe for heartbreak. Pickles on the side.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Everytime I've used decent cheddar for a grill cheese the poo poo doesn't melt. Mmm toasted bread, un melted cheddar.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Goodpancakes posted:

Everytime I've used decent cheddar for a grill cheese the poo poo doesn't melt. Mmm toasted bread, un melted cheddar.

I don't think cheddar is a particularly good melting cheese. From what I've noticed it tends to break very easily. Try a different cheese!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Midniter posted:

I don't think cheddar is a particularly good melting cheese. From what I've noticed it tends to break very easily. Try a different cheese!

Depends on its age.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I will bet you 328 dollars that if you are the type of person trying to use aged cheddar on a grilled cheese, you also are the type of person who doesn't drink at all but will wax poetic about "the virtues of a fine aged scotch"

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
colby
and I can't afford anything more than a 8y/o

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've had good results with aged cheddar before?

And why you beefing with aged scotch, friend?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

Get some sodium citrate and make custom singles.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Norns posted:

I've had good results with aged cheddar before?

And why you beefing with aged scotch, friend?

pretty sure the beef there is with people who are just trying to look fancy and say the right words without actually knowing anything about what they're talking about.

also: cheddar works super well under a broiler if you use regular sharp cheddar. throw some thin sliced granny smith apple on there because it's good as gently caress.

alternately do goat cheese (or goat cheddar even) and fig jam.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
If you cant figure out how to melt cheddar cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich you are a huge loving retard

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I dont get it...I have gthe heat MAXED out and only the bread gets hot and burnt and its cold in the middle...Its the cheese fault

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Is egg allowed

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
egg is always allowed, friend.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Skinny King Pimp posted:

egg is always allowed, friend.

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I dont get it...I have gthe heat MAXED out and only the bread gets hot and burnt and its cold in the middle...Its the cheese fault

Dont max it out? Its not a slab of meat. Keep it at medium. Once they look like this, you can flip them repeatedly every 20 sec to make sure the cheese is melty and it doesn't burn:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

whoredog posted:

Dont max it out?

:thejoke:

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I'm a fan of the white bread Kraft singles grilled cheese. However, I had some Morel mushroom & leek Jack cheese the other day that I'm drat sure would make a loving awesome grilled cheese. Except it was like $12 a pound.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Cover the pan. It must always be done for a good grilled cheese. Heat on low stupid.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 26, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

whoredog posted:

Dont max it out? Its not a slab of meat. Keep it at medium. Once they look like this, you can flip them repeatedly every 20 sec to make sure the cheese is melty and it doesn't burn:

indoflaven posted:

Cover the pan. It must always be done for a good grilled cheese. Heat on low stupid.

How does sarcasm work??

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

ColdPie posted:

How does sarcasm work??

Who gives a poo poo.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Steve Yun posted:

Is egg allowed

yesssss

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I put a circle of sriracha on my cheap rear end grilled cheeses with good results.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I cook my grilled cheeses on a medium to low heat, and wait for the cheese to start melting before putting the top slice on and flipping.

Sharp cheddar and muenster on onion rye is very much my poo poo. You need to let the cheese run off the edge of the sandwich and get extra toasty on the pan.

I've also found it helps to shout "AMERICA" as you flip them.

Edit: Mrs Doctor typically coats the buttered outside with shaved parmesan as well.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 30, 2015

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

I cook my grilled cheeses on a medium to low heat, and wait for the cheese to start melting before putting the top slice on and flipping.

Sharp cheddar and muenster on onion rye is very much my poo poo. You need to let the cheese run off the edge of the sandwich and get extra toasty on the pan.

I've also found it helps to shout "AMERICA" as you flip them.

This man know what's going on right here. There are other grilled cheeses, and they are some fine grilled cheeses, but this right here is the best grilled cheeses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
If you have a really good nonstick pan you can melt the cheese on it and scrape it onto toasted bread then cook the sando a lil more to bind the melted cheese and toasted bread and you don't have to worry about cold middle and makes a good gooey grilled cheese.

• Locked thread