Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Sitting Here posted:

Next month i'm doing weekly toxxes.

The halfway point toxx helped me out a lot. I'll shoot for 2k a week this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've written 46k words this month, which is over double what I toxxed for. I've published 10k. and another 10k are being processed by Amazon at the moment.

I haven't made any money. One of my readers gave me an enthusiastic 5/5 review on Goodreads, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

10k for every week, Monday - Sunday. So 40k total. :toxx:

Starting Word Count: 22,633

Also, my plans worked out, and this also marks the completion of the first draft of the novel!!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
super grats

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Also, my plans worked out, and this also marks the completion of the first draft of the novel!!

drat, son!

Good job!

just so you know, when I said bye early in the thread I didn't really doubt you I was just being VERY naughty

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Lately I've started using the pomodoro method (which Dr. K also uses) and it works out REALLY well for me. Basically you set a 25-minute timer, and the instant you hit 'start' on that timer, you go into your writing software and start writing. You don't stop mid-sentence to research some bullshit, because you can always go do that later rather than stopping your writing. In those 25 minutes, you just write. I know Dr. K has told herself she is only allowed to stare at the word processor for 25 minutes regardless of if she actually writes. Usually if you're only allowed to start at a blinking cursor and you can't 'tab over to something else for a second' you will end up writing for most of the 25 minutes anyway.

Personally I am trying to crank out as many words as possible, so I try to keep my fingers moving for the whole time.

I'm usually getting about 800 words per pomodoro, but keep in mind these are 800 words of mindless erotica. I want to be able to do 1,000 words per pomodoro, so I could finish a full erotica short in just over three hours.

Before you start a pomodoro you want to figure out the basic outline for what you are going to write. Get it clear in your head before you start, hit start, then write it.

After each 25 minutes, CHECK YOUR WORDCOUNT. This has a subconscious effect of making you feel good/rewarded for how much you did, or feel like you could do better and want to try again and be faster.

I noticed that after I started using this method, I view an hour as "two pomodoros." I've noticed that one of these short bursts can get me nearly 1,000 words, so time that I usually wouldn't bother writing--like the few hours I have from when I get home from work and when I go to play volleyball on Wednesday and Friday--is time I can use to write something like 2,000-3,000 words depending on how long my breaks in between are.

The main reason I had to start doing this is because I usually have like 20 tabs in Chrome open, and I'm in three IRC channels, and people are talking about stuff I'm interested in, and there's an SA thread I'm also talking to people in that I want to refresh. When I was writing pre-pomodoro, I had caught myself doing stuff like: I'm writing and I suddenly can't think of what to have happen next, so I IMMEDIATELY switch tabs and check forums or IRC. A lot of times I'd forget I was even writing and wouldn't go back to it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

angel opportunity posted:

pomodoro method

This technique yielded great successes for me until my pig shaped egg timer died. I need to get a new one, and regain the power of focus.

Yeah there's phone timers and poo poo but having that tiny buzzing in your peripheral senses lets you know "this is loving go time". It's a physical thing that really helps me.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/pomodoro-timer/

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
what do tomatoes have to do with any of this

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Martello posted:

what do tomatoes have to do with any of this

Dude who came up with it had a tomato-shaped egg timer.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ugggh this month suuucked. And so did I.

Going to do better next month. I need to establish a goddamn routine and make this stuff a real priority instead of scrambling it in anyhow.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My goal was more modest than some, but I feel accomplished. 5,041 more words of terrible rough-draft urban fantasy/superhero nonsense, all in the same project. Also rotated it all into Scrivener, though I haven't really organized it yet. I need to do some goddamn outlining soon, figure out just where this thing is going.

Before:

After:

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Finals hosed me for the first two weeks of the month. Excuses aside I really hosed myself by not waking up early and writing first thing in the morning. Struggling to knock out 1.5-2 thousand words before going to bed meant I wasn't going to sleep till sunrise. I'm only at 10,000/25,000 for my goal this month. I'll see what I can do today and tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful. At least I transferred my entire novel to scenes in scrivener which has already brought attention to sections that will need the heaviest re-writes.

If I don't post again by Sunday BAN ME and I'll see everyone next month.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
More work done on that SciFi story (edits, added scenes, ~2k in total),
first draft of a cowboy story (2.5k),
rewrote my detective story intro + added stuff (definitely more than 0.5k net so whatever)

I'm gonna be honest most of this is unfinished garbage but work isn't letting the gently caress up, so crapshoots for whimpy goals are all I can aspire to. Maybe in June I will have weekends again.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Mostly work on the fantasy-romance novel, but also one short-short.

The timer technique really helped me get over the last hump today. I'll make better use of it in June for a more ambitious word count.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

terebin is a terebowl name

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

angel opportunity posted:

terebin is a terebowl name

:haw:

Just wait, I'm gonna be a terebillionaire!!!

You're not my dad!

:negative:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yesterday I was 0/4k, now I'm 2400/4000.

MUFFIN IS CHARGING UP THE FINISH LINE ON HIS WEAKSAUCE TOXX LET'S DO THIS.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm 2k in, out of 10k.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I've done it! 4,000 really bad words, but they're there! I also wrote a 4.5k word piece of fanfiction, so I'm pretty happy with what I've managed to do this month.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Done. Putting up June thread now, i'll go through and report fails in 24 hours or so.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Wrote smut. Blurred for your pleasure protection.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

There we go. Just barely squeaked in.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

hit 10k so far, vowing another 10k by end of month :toxx:

kill me

no i dont give a gently caress about that typo either

anime was right fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 31, 2015

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Plus the ~650 or so words from that other thing. Wish I'd gotten more done but it was hard to get much momentum this month.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

This was pretty okay except for the ring at the end. I found it a bit too loud. So after wasting about a half-hour searching for tomato timer programs to help me be more productive (:haw:), I found this. The ring at the end is much nicer, and if you want to, you can replace the sound files.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I decided to cut back on writing my main story, and I figured I'd keep sharp by writing a little something else, a prequel of sorts. Today, I checked it to see how long it was.

I think I went a bit over my wordcount. :stare:

Here's a link to it if anyone's interested. It's a standard opening -- amnesia, an ancient sword, grave-robbing, rabbit stew, slimy Lovecraftian horrors, and a terrible cockney accent on a world that shouldn't have one.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hit my goal for a 7K short story

Plus 2K on my novel. I forgot to take a screenshot of my starting word count, so my work this week is accounted for under the "selection" column:

Next month I'm not going to be a procrastinating poo poo.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm at 3800 words and my story has just kinda ended at a natural point. Quick, somebody give me a 200 word prompt so I can finish my toxx off with an ultrashort! Help!

Last month: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1066l0Zx4NtxFK2Dzvp2NqA0GxqhKdT1bW6rMBRyxn08/edit?usp=sharing
This month: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15t40hNT8-ddeWvbZKn3dOKbU696Gavzssopn72lmWbY/edit?usp=sharing

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm at 3800 words and my story has just kinda ended at a natural point. Quick, somebody give me a 200 word prompt so I can finish my toxx off with an ultrashort! Help!
A traveling salesmen makes a house call to the abode of the last great vampire. If he doesn't make this sale, his career is over.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A kid is pushing a really bad pig up a hill in a lovely wheelbarrow

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

A traveling salesmen makes a house call to the abode of the last great vampire. If he doesn't make this sale, his career is over.
Fangs for nothing, rear end in a top hat

To call it a house did it too little credit, but to call it a castle made it sound well-built. It was a rickety, raggedy thing of wood that towered off into the sky at odd angles. Gargoyles stuck off every spare piece of roof. Bats hung under the rafters, squeaking in strange harmonies.

Bill McCullum gulped. “Wowsers,” he said under his breath. He gripped the wolf-head knocker, and banged it against the epic door. KRABOOM, KRABOOM, KRABOOM. It was a ruder knock than he’d intended. The door swung open, and the man inside peeked out.

His eyes were sunken deep into their sockets. His skin was the wan-yellow white of wax paper, and it looked just as thin. It hissed, then opened its mouth revealing a mouth ringed with dozens of crooked fangs. “Who daressssss?” it said.

Goshdarnit, Billy really need to make this sale. He held up the box. “Sir, the Chill-u-good air conditioner is an absolute marvel. Why, my wife gets to control the temperature on ours and she keeps the house a veritable icebox!”

The wife joke always went down well, though this man looked like he might be a bachelor. Maybe one who would appreciate some raunch. “Cold? Keep meat fresh?” it said.

“Yessir,” said Billy, “colder’n the devil’s tit if you don’t mind my French.”

The thing looked at him, then snatched the box and ran off into the house. The door slammed behind it. When Billy pulled on it, it wouldn’t open at all: it was like trying to shift a wall. He sighed, and his shoulders slumped. No chicken dinner tonight for Mrs McCullum, nosir. No chicken dinners for a long time.

DONE MOTHERFUCKERS

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Killfast37, morning bell and Bompacho failed; appropriate steps have been taken.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
where's your june toxx

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fangs for nothing, rear end in a top hat

Nobody's mentioned this, but this is a great little piece of flash fiction. Please be short of words more often, Muffin. :3:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is there one of these for June?

I need to take my mind off things and writing seems like a good idea.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

No Gravitas posted:

Is there one of these for June?

I need to take my mind off things and writing seems like a good idea.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723315

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks. No idea how I managed to miss it.

• Locked thread